Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Well, I suppose this was bound to happen sooner or later. I have no problem with it myself. That said, I wonder what would've been more controversial for fans of the show: if the new Doctor was a white woman, or a black man?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, I suppose this was bound to happen sooner or later. I have no problem with it myself. That said, I wonder what would've been more controversial for fans of the show: if the new Doctor was a white woman, or a black man?
    It took a while to have a black companion. I'd say it will happen, eventually. Give it time and we'll see all sorts of Doctors.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    GM of the Rumbler's League - Currently on Extended Hiatus
    Caretaker of Khazan's Cosmic Library
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn and/or imaginatively created.

I got into doctor who during Matt Smith era. I just watched some random episode when he rory and amy were in some hotel. I wanted to see what the big deal was, I thought the show was alright, and I kept watching. I have to say that I liked the tennant and eccleston years the best from the old episodes I watched.

I liked Matt Smith's doctor, but moffat made him too whimsical. I liked Capaldi's doctor too, but moffat made him to depressing. So I couldn't watch the show anymore.

When our new doctor, Lady Luck 13 was announced, I thought, "huh, cool" and now that moffat is leaving (he does not write women well) the show might actually be watchable again.

I thought about the kind of companion I would like to see. I asked myself, "wouldn't it be interesting if the new doctor's companion was a space cop?" It could be a man or a woman who's a space cop, in the 22nd or 23rd century america.

They could have a friend who is a conspiracy theorist that tells him all sorts of stories about the doctor. The cop just laughs it off and tells him. "Come on man, the doctor ain't real, he's just some myth the brits made up to scare us, it's crazy, one guy stopping hundreds of alien invasions over the years, and no one has ever seen him except UNIT? Not only that, he's a time traveling immortal alien, that's a hot crock and you know it."

He gets called on a murder case, the doctor shows up in her new incarnation, he and the doctor solve the mystery together, he can't believe the myths were true, they get along so well she invites him into the tardis, and they just have fun.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    It took a while to have a black companion. I'd say it will happen, eventually. Give it time and we'll see all sorts of Doctors.
    I actually wanted Idris Elba to be the next Doctor, but I knew it wasn't likely to happen. Still, I think he would be a great Doctor. Maybe he could be 14.
    Im Mary Poppins, yall.---Yondu

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

"I am a mad man with a box!"---The Doctor

"Man wants to punch a beehive, let him punch a beehive"---Mark Waid

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I got into doctor who during Matt Smith era. I just watched some random episode when he rory and amy were in some hotel. I wanted to see what the big deal was, I thought the show was alright, and I kept watching. I have to say that I liked the tennant and eccleston years the best from the old episodes I watched.
    Tennant is my favorite Doctor.

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I've been a fan of Dr. Who since the 1980's, though I haven't been able to keep up these past several years.

Just saw this in the news: First woman to play Doctor Who sparks backlash

Thoughts?
    I think it's just fantastic.

And no Doctor ever did not spark an initial backlash.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

I believe you might have left Preacher off of your "What I've Been Watching On TV" list.

Re the new Doctor, I haven't actually seen her in anything, but then I had never seen Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy in anything either, and they were OK (well, actually, Doctor Who was a bit rubbish in those days, but it wasn't their fault ).

As a rule of thumb of Doctor Who, though, the potential problems never lie with the casting of the Doctor. My concerns lie with Chris Chibnall the new showrunner, whose ouvre contains the first couple of series of Torchwood, which were diabolical (although I suppose innovative in their way, but seriously, his Cyberwoman is justly maligned), Law and Order UK, which was no great shakes, Camelot, which was hilarious, and Broadchurch, which I must again confess I haven't seen (otherwise I would have come across Jodie Whittaker) and at least the first series of which was critically acclaimed.

So it's a very mixed record.

However, we shall see.

DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Fan of the good Doctor since circa 1977 (the Tom Baker-Elisabeth Sladen years) when he first appeared on WOR in the NYC area. Actually, I was kind of annoyed with him at first, because the show and pro wrestling replaced a horror-movie venue called Chiller Thriller that I was very fond of, but I got over it fairly quickly. By the early '80s, it moved to PBS-UHF channel WLIW, but I started losing track of it by the mid-'80s. When the new series started up, though, I came back to it again and haven't stopped watching.

The new doctor? She's sexy, so what's not to like?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Tennant is my favorite Doctor.
    Of the new series, I think I like Matt Smith slightly better than Tennant, but it's really, really close. Favorite companion is Martha Jones, probably because I just find her too gorgeous for words.

I actually wanted Idris Elba to be the next Doctor, but I knew it wasn't likely to happen. Still, I think he would be a great Doctor. Maybe he could be 14.
    They can't afford him.

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    My concerns lie with Chris Chibnall the new showrunner, whose ouvre contains the first couple of series of Torchwood, which were diabolical (although I suppose innovative in their way, but seriously, his Cyberwoman is justly maligned),
    I didn't know he'd done Torchwood. That's good news for me because I loved the first three series' of Torchwood.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Favorite companion is Martha Jones, probably because I just find her too gorgeous for words.
    In that case you want to watch Sense8. You can thank me later

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    In that case you want to watch Sense8. You can thank me later
    I know exactly what you're referring to, dan.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    They can't afford him.
    I know. That's why I said it would never happen.

I know. That's why I said it would never happen.
    It's a moot point. He'll be too busy playing James Bond

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Of the new series, I think I like Matt Smith slightly better than Tennant, but it's really, really close. Favorite companion is Martha Jones, probably because I just find her too gorgeous for words.
    For me its a bit of a toss up between Smith and Tennant, but the edge goes to Tennant on most days. Agree about Martha Jones, and my favorite episode of hers is the Shakespeare one.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.