Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

The whole point was Ego pointing out that he tried to take a form that would best gain Peter's trust. And given what Peter said about The Hoff earlier on, and the movie kept coming back to, it fits. It's not the same as Luke randomly crapping himself at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    The whole point was Ego pointing out that he tried to take a form that would best gain Peter's trust. And given what Peter said about The Hoff earlier on, and the movie kept coming back to, it fits. It's not the same as Luke randomly crapping himself at all.
    And that's a fine thing to put at an earlier point in the movie, but having Kurt Russell morph into Hasselhoff is clearly meant to be a gag at the fact that just happened and it doesn't feel tonally appropriate. It's exactly like Sean Gunn's reaction to Nebula's speech, a gag at the end of an effective, dramatic moment that gets a laugh out of you but really has no business being where it is.

Incredible Member

Especially since they name-dropped Kevin Bacon in the first film and he didn't show up. I'm like "please pay that joke of this time around, pretty please."
    Kevin Bacon as The Runner?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Guardians 1 was decent but generic as fukk. 2 explored the characters and their relationships much better; though 1 did have that excellent emotional moment from Rocket when Drax and Gamora pushed his buttons one too many times.
    I'm on the fence about which movie I like better, but Vol. 2 did a great service by *really* delving into character work. I really love that. Even Kraglin got in on that.

The only exception* is Mantis, and so the lack of her own agency and development was incredibly jarring compared to the rest of the cast. But they can't all be hits. Hopefully she'll get fleshed out a bit more.

(*okay, probably Drax as well, though he started off well with Mantis)
    "Until the lion learns to write, every story will glorify the hunter."
    --African proverb

Incredible Member

Here's some nostalgic casting choices for Gotg3

Peter Weller (Robocop 1989) as The High Evolutionary.

Denzel Washington as Vance Astro aka. Major Victory

Brad Douriff (Child's Play) as Judson Jakes

Bill Murray as The Gardner (thx ScreenJunkies)

Blondie as Praxagora

Incredible Member

What did you expect them to do with Mantis exactly? I forgot if it was from birth of as a child, but she has basically lived her whole life on Who's planet and seemingly rarely if ever had contact with humans. What did you expect to see, or think could be added? The run time was already high for the movie as well....

Especially since they name-dropped Kevin Bacon in the first film and he didn't show up. I'm like "please pay that joke of this time around, pretty please."
    Didn't they pay it off with the dance-off? It was a more a Footloose reference than specifically a Kevin Bacon one.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post
    What did you expect them to do with Mantis exactly?
    Well, have her be a martial arts badass is something that seems not unreasonable.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Guardians 1 was decent but generic as fukk. 2 explored the characters and their relationships much better; though 1 did have that excellent emotional moment from Rocket when Drax and Gamora pushed his buttons one too many times.
    i disagree on 1 being generic i think its the most unique and best of the MCU movies so far and for all the good character and relationship development they did they did 100% more bad jokes ha ha the guys name is Taserface baby groot keeps geting the worng thing Drax keeps laughing for reasons it kind of cancelled out a lot of the development for me allso it was like 3 movies rolld into one and it did not work.
    Last edited by choptop; 05-18-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Incredible Member

i think its the most unique and best of the MCU movies so far
    Mrrrrm. Cant say Im on the same page.

Most Unique: Ant-man

Best: Tie between Thor 1 and Winter Soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Well, have her be a martial arts badass is something that seems not unreasonable.
    This is a recurring issue I have with Deadpool and GotG in the movies where they remove or severely downplay elements so other elements can get exaggerated or inserted to make them quirkier or more zany or more likable. Sometimes this works like Drax in the first movie but other times it just make them a lot less interesting, Mantis, DP and Gamora.

It was particularly noticeable for me because I read the DnA GotG run just ahead of this and couldn't help but think "Wow, you people are so much less interesting in the movies than in the stuff these movies are supposedly based off of!". Same thing with Deadpool when I read Joe Kelly's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    How would she become a martial arts badass while being raised on Ego? There is nothing to do but sit around or interact with Ego, nothing to fight, nobody who knows martial arts to train her. She was depicted in about the way one would expect her to turn out given her movie origin.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    i disagree on 1 being generic i think its the most unique and best of the MCU movies so far and for all the good character and relationship development they did they did 100% more bad jokes ha ha the guys name is Taserface baby groot keeps geting the worng thing Drax keeps laughing for reasons it kind of cancelled out a lot of the development for me allso it was like 3 movies rolld into one and it did not work.
    It was good for a Mcguffin chase.

I like Vol 2 better. I think I'll see it a third time tonight. It'll be my first time seeing a movie more than twice in the theater.
    "But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you... And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye?..."

FAVES: A-ko (Project A-ko), Rogue, Cassandra Cain, Supergirl (New 52), Power Girl (Kara Zor-El), She-Hulk, Spider-Gwen, Squirrel Girl, Jessica Cruz, Silk, Cassandra Lang

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    How would she become a martial arts badass while being raised on Ego? There is nothing to do but sit around or interact with Ego, nothing to fight, nobody who knows martial arts to train her. She was depicted in about the way one would expect her to turn out given her movie origin.
    Imagine Moondragon debutting with only her telepathy and nothing else (eg. Her martial arts; prodigious knowledge of genetics and biology; etc.) Imagine MCU Adam Warlock just having superhuman stats and flight, but nothing involving cosmic energy absorbtion/manipulaton.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 05-19-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    There is absolutely no reason why she would be raised by Ego in the first place. There is absolutely no reason that she must be given a movie origin that prohibits her from being a martial arts badass.

Yes, okay, you already have a female martial arts badass on the team. So maybe you don't use Mantis at all?

Caveat: I have no idea if comicbook Mantis started out as a martial artist, or if that was a later development.