Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Where does the Superman "is op and boring" perception come from?

I never understood this statement. Seriously where does it come from? Pretty much in every form of other media Superman gets his butt whooped and has showed that he has many different shades to his personality. So why do normies think he his op and boring?

Cuz he's OP and boring. He's been overpowered since the dawn of his creation. He was literally created to have all the powers people dreamed of, and then as his series progressed they gave him more powers to accommodate the "peril" he was in. Look, don't get me wrong. I like Superman. But I read superman because I like watching him whoop a$$ with all his sweet powers, but the truth of the matter is, I can totally see how it gets repetitive and then, in turn; boring.
    Pulling:
    Batman, Superman All-Star Batman, Detective Comics, All-New Wolverine, Curse Words, Super Sons, God Country, X-men Gold, Teen Titans The Amazing Spider-Man

Waiting For:
    Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man

STOP Marvel events

Well I'm a huge Superman fan but he is one of the most powerful heroes, invincibility, strength, lasers, speed etc, on top of being a moral paragon, not hard to see how people would get that takeaway at first glance.

Ever since Superman was created it's been there. In the Golden age he was created to be basically unstoppable. I feel like most Superman fans (inside looking out) just assume that others are talking about the Silver or Bronze age, so we try to give them scans and feats from other heroes in this--frankly strange--bid to convince them. It's not unlike what actual comic writers do with Superman. They hear from some fans that he's too boring, so they create all these count points to prove that he isn't. And you're probably thinking "is it the chicken or the egg? A bursting shell and leaping an 8th of a mile couldn't have started all of this, right?"

Well it did. Superman was created to be conventionally unbeatable, and he proved that with every newspaper strip. That whole "only an 8th of a mile" or "nothing short of a bursting shell" thing wasn't actually a limiter. It was just there to get the imagination of the reader going. In the context of 1939, the reader was supposed to be mesmerized by the idea of a man lifting a car, and they were. That simple feeling of seeing this guy lift a car while smiling is the actual originator of Superman being OP. The kid who read that first Superman comic gives it to their kid in hopes of getting the same reaction, and so on.

Him being perceived as boring comes with the shifting times, and the immutable nature of that sense of power that he came on the scene with. It's been passed done mainly through word of mouth, and the evocative nature of his name, SUPERMAN! But that immutability is also to the determent of his short term popularity. We, collectively, are a changing and cycling people. Superman's like a well embedded rock being washed over by our changing tides.

Sometimes being a strong nice guy is in style, and other times it's boring to us as a people. But that first perception of Superman will never change, so he's always at risk of being called boring. But he'll always be there to welcome us back as that strong nice guy. He's cool like.

Put simply: because lazy people don't really look at the character. They just follow the narrative that's been repeated ad nauseam and digest it like it's fact.

Are there people who don't like the character and have looked at it? Absolutely. Not everyone will agree, and DC has a history of under-utilizing the character, which feeds the narrative.

But the vast majority of people who repeat this are simply lazy. They don't have the slightest clue what they're talking about, they just repeat it "because it's true". Their argument falls flat on it's @$$ when you press them for details or insight, as I've done more times than I can count and it works 99% of the time. DC as a company would be well served, imho, to challenge this notion head-on and expose it for the garbage that it is.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

He actually got beat up by Deathstroke pretty recently.

When you read most of his comics, he stops seeming so powerful. You might even start asking for him to have more power. I know I did back in the day. So I also have to contribute it to laziness, but also personal preference and the fact that these creators seem unable to get them out of that box. Which is a part of preference, so it's also not really the fault of anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by thefiresky View Post
    Cuz he's OP and boring. He's been overpowered since the dawn of his creation. He was literally created to have all the powers people dreamed of, and then as his series progressed they gave him more powers to accommodate the "peril" he was in.
    He's never been Silver Surfer or Molecule Man. Or the Phoenix. When you sit and think of matter manipulation or the heavy level of psychic powers, it gets nuts. Superman might as well just be Batman for all the power he has in his own narrative.

But I actually want to say thanks a lot, because it really helps to have people who aren't just regulars give this kind of insight

Quote Originally Posted by thefiresky View Post
    Cuz he's OP and boring. He's been overpowered since the dawn of his creation. He was literally created to have all the powers people dreamed of, and then as his series progressed they gave him more powers to accommodate the "peril" he was in. Look, don't get me wrong. I like Superman. But I read superman because I like watching him whoop a$$ with all his sweet powers, but the truth of the matter is, I can totally see how it gets repetitive and then, in turn; boring.
    Same thing can be said about every goddamn character. Look at Dr. Doom as the prep King. Or Batman who can simply beat anyone cause his "Batman".

Superman regularly gets his ass kicked by his villains or even people who shouldn't even be on his level. And we haven't had an op Superman in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    He actually got beat up by Deathstroke pretty recently.
    He did win though, but yeah, it proves my point.

Superman is not overpowered as a matter of fact he has too many weaknesses. He isn't boring either, writers just tend to write boring stories using the character.
    "Dice que soy un atrevido y solo le robe un beso."

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Superman is not overpowered as a matter of fact he has too many weaknesses. He isn't boring either, writers just tend to write boring stories using the character.
    I think Superman has the most weaknesses out of all of the superheroes. A green freaking rock.

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

It comes from eras in which dark and gritty ideas are more popular. There was this sentiment about him in the gritty, post-Vietnam era too. Superman: The Movie helped change those perceptions for a while (Star Wars played a large role as well as that came a year before and really was the film to bring entertainment out of its dark doldrums). But then the late 90s came along with the Matrix and all that jazz and dark and gritty took hold once more. I think Marvel's cinematic U is doing a lot to end that era currently. WB however hasn't done their best job utilizing that for Superman.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It comes from eras in which dark and gritty ideas are more popular. There was this sentiment about him in the gritty, post-Vietnam era too. Superman: The Movie helped change those perceptions for a while (Star Wars played a large role as well as that came a year before and really was the film to bring entertainment out of its dark doldrums). But then the late 90s came along with the Matrix and all that jazz and dark and gritty took hold once more. I think Marvel's cinematic U is doing a lot to end that era currently. WB however hasn't done their best job utilizing that for Superman.
    Best strategy for Superman is usually to play to his strengths when being a strong nice guy who saves people is in vogue, but then weathering the storm with solid and insightful storytelling when he's out of sync with the world's taste. Usually when the turn around happens again, you've got a whole back catalog of super solid material for new and hunger fans. Usually makes the highs comparatively higher than the lows.

Side note: with movies, I respect and even salute WB for doing their own thing (for the most part). However, I feel like they might've gotten the same effect of being distinct from Marvel, but with the added benefit of having a more inviting product if they'd treated Superman like a fictional biopic. That would've been a fascinating and unique way to start a movie universe.

I think we have been blaming the dark and gritty era for Superman's dwindling popularity for far too long. It's not the dark and gritty what won't allow Superman to be at the top. It is the bad writing and lack of creativity. People doesn't want dark and gritty for the sake of dark and gritty. Neither they want roses and sunshine for the sake of roses and sunshines. The general public wants good/great stories. And frankly that has been sorely missing from Superman for a long long time. Superman returns, Man of Steel, BvS they all suffer from the same disease. They're not good movies. They aren't terrible but they are not good or great. Superman TAS isn't a bad cartoon neither but it isn't great either. Mediocrity.. That's Superman's actual problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I never understood this statement. Seriously where does it come from? Pretty much in every form of other media Superman gets his butt whooped and has showed that he has many different shades to his personality. So why do normies think he his op and boring?
    I never understood it either. From my own experiences, the statement is made by people who don't read Superman comics or consume any other media he's in and just go with their preconcieved notion; that because he's so powerful, there is no challenge or intrique in his content.

Notice how Thor is never castigated for being too powerful. Despite being a physical match for Superman and possessesing an enchanted hammer that most writers treat as a magic wand. Seriously, check out the Marvel Wikia page for the list of things Mjlonir can do. Reminder that when Jack Kirby created Thor back in the 60s, the hammer could only do 3 things.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I think Superman has the most weaknesses out of all of the superheroes. A green freaking rock.
    Actually it makes a lot of sense and that should be Superman's single weakness. Kryptonite: Radioactive material from his homeworld. Red sun radiation and magic shouldn't even register. Want to kill Superman? Use Kryptonite or create a monster/giant robot/weapon powerful enough to beat him up to death or vaporize him.