Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Standing Member

I don't mind there being some underlying psychic explanation for how Superman's powers work. But maybe only as a fan theory. I don't want Superman to know that's how his powers work and I don't even want the writers to know it. Because as soon as that becomes the operating principle then that will be the only thing they write about. Superman will just have this psychic power and his other abilities will be forgotten.

Look at Martian Manhunter. He used to have all these other Martian powers, in addition to his mental powers, now everything he does is just an extension of his psychic ablities.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't mind there being some underlying psychic explanation for how Superman's powers work. But maybe only as a fan theory. I don't want Superman to know that's how his powers work and I don't even want the writers to know it. Because as soon as that becomes the operating principle then that will be the only thing they write about. Superman will just have this psychic power and his other abilities will be forgotten.

Look at Martian Manhunter. He used to have all these other Martian powers, in addition to his mental powers, now everything he does is just an extension of his psychic ablities.

That's why I like the idea of the aura that gets powered by the sun,and works sorta like a organ of his body,not some mental power.he shouldn't be able to control it imo,it should just be there working in perfect harmony with his body,so in his mind he has 1 fluid power,not 2 that are piggybacking and amping the other.
    #BRINGBACKKON

-Mutation is a bitch

-Don't mess with the "S"

-kon is humans trying to recreate God(Superman)

-what do you give a half kryptonian clone to be super,TACTILE TELEKINESIS of course

Kon-el appreciation thread
    http://community.comicbookresources....l-Appreciation!
    Young Justice (comic and TV) appreciation thread
    http://community.comicbookresources....c-and-tv-show)

I don't think Superman needs more powers. What he needs are more learned skills. He should be multilingual by instance.
    "Dice que soy un atrevido y solo le robe un beso."

Incredible Member Uncanny Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think a large part of that is because they wanted to distinguish him from Superman, since they share so many of the same powers. I have long said they need to just drop Martian Manhunter's Superman-like powers and only give him telepathy, telekinesis, shape shifting, and intangiblity, because those powers alone make him a force to rekconed with, and it would help him not feel like a poor man's Superman to the casual fan or reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Time travel is the sort of power that should create more problems that it solves. That's the only way I see it being interesting enough to add to Supes arsenal. Superman would fly so fast that he will travel back in time. He won't do it to fix anything it was just an accident and now he must figure a way to return to his original timeline without messing up the past thus changing up the future.
    Actually, it used to be easy. Superman (or more often, Superboy) would fly so fast that he would break the time barrier. This was a standard power for him from Superman #61 in 1949 until the post-Crisis reboot in 1986. (Nor was it strictly a separate power; it was framed as a consequence of his super-speed, just like the Flash could do the same with his speed.) The only caveat was that Superman couldn't be in two places at the same time. So if he traveled to a time period when he was already alive, he only existed as a phantom. That was how he observed his true origin in that first time travel story, and it was the standard for the entire Silver and Bronze Ages. (This restriction, of course, applied to all time travelers, not just Kal-El.)

As for changing the past, oddly enough, though Superman (or Superboy) occasionally tried to do that, they never succeeded. Either something stopped him, or he found himself actually creating the history of a parallel universe. By all appearances, history couldn't be changed... but Earth-1 still had alternate futures. The Legion in one future, Kamandi and the Great Disaster in another. It was a contradiction, I think, that was never truly resolved, not even by the Crisis on Infinite Earths.
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, All Star Batman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Kamandi Challenge, Astro City, Descender, Royal City, Birthright, Saga, Black Hammer. Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, New Superman, Supergirl, Batman Beyond, Trinity, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Blue Beetle, The Wildstorm, Spider-Man, Star Wars, Black Science, Invincible, The Woods, Backstagers, Archie, Jughead, Riverdale.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderboy12 View Post
    Actually, it used to be easy. Superman (or more often, Superboy) would fly so fast that he would break the time barrier. This was a standard power for him from Superman #61 in 1949 until the post-Crisis reboot in 1986. (Nor was it strictly a separate power; it was framed as a consequence of his super-speed, just like the Flash could do the same with his speed.) The only caveat was that Superman couldn't be in two places at the same time. So if he traveled to a time period when he was already alive, he only existed as a phantom. That was how he observed his true origin in that first time travel story, and it was the standard for the entire Silver and Bronze Ages. (This restriction, of course, applied to all time travelers, not just Kal-El.)

As for changing the past, oddly enough, though Superman (or Superboy) occasionally tried to do that, they never succeeded. Either something stopped him, or he found himself actually creating the history of a parallel universe. By all appearances, history couldn't be changed... but Earth-1 still had alternate futures. The Legion in one future, Kamandi and the Great Disaster in another. It was a contradiction, I think, that was never truly resolved, not even by the Crisis on Infinite Earths.
    That's what I mean: It shouldn't be an easy power. It should come with lots of complications. More problems than solutions. Lots of ramifications that should force Superman to exert his super brain to its very limits in order to come up with solutions to crises created by time travel (just like happens to the Flash)
    "Dice que soy un atrevido y solo le robe un beso."

I like to think that Kryptonians were almost genetically identical to Terrestrials in their far-distant past. But they continued to evolve and also pushed the process along via advances in biotech and genetic medicine and cloning.

By the time of Kal's birth on Krypton, all Kryptonians (even under a red sun) had the following 4 super-powers:

1. Radiant Energy Absorption, aka Sun-Drinking aka Solar Power

2. Psychogenesis, aka Bio-Field, aka Flight

3. Radiant Energy Projection, aka Optic Blast, aka Heat-Vision

4. S.H.A.E., aka Super Human Almost Everything, (aka Strength + Durability + Stamina + Speed + Reflexes + Perception + Senses + Healing + Longevity + Memory)

So, in this scenario, a Kryptonian on Krypton would be able to levitate, to move and strike at Golden Age Supes levels, as well as fire optic blasts.

Supes just has those same 4 abilities , magnified by million to a trillion times.

Incredible Member

The problem with the Heavy Worlder explanation is that, well, we are the heavy worlders. Seriously.
    Gravity doesn't increase linearly with mass. Earth is a quite hefty planet in the general scheme.

For those who haven't read about the subject: Planet formation depends a lot on position in the primordial cloud and star. When a planet gets big, it starts scooping up more mass. From what I remember, gas and ice planets are what happens when a rocky Super-Earth is formed behind the "ice line", while a proper Super Earths needs to be close enough to avoid doing so. Of course, too close and your planet melts.

I think closest thing to Krypton might be Kepler 10c, a Mega-Earth with thrice Earth's gravity. But its star is a lot like the sun, so its burning there.

Incredible Member

I don't think Time Travel should be in Superman's powers. Its such a can of worms, let Flash deal with this. Also it sort of escapes the character's concept of being a Super-Man.
    Maybe if Superman became a phantom like in Pre-Crisis, that could work.

Another problem with it is that, frankly, Superman is better situated in the future. In the past, almost everyone except aliens and spell-slingers are underpowered against him. He can't even change the timeline much or he might go back to being raised by the Luthors or something. I prefer Superman time-travelling to the future.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    I don't think Time Travel should be in Superman's powers. Its such a can of worms, let Flash deal with this. Also it sort of escapes the character's concept of being a Super-Man.
    Maybe if Superman became a phantom like in Pre-Crisis, that could work.

Another problem with it is that, frankly, Superman is better situated in the future. In the past, almost everyone except aliens and spell-slingers are underpowered against him. He can't even change the timeline much or he might go back to being raised by the Luthors or something. I prefer Superman time-travelling to the future.
    Not quite sure what was wrong with the Pre-Crisis rules.

1) Nobody can co-exist with themselves. So Superman can only visit any past event once (at least as anything but an immaterial observer),
    2) Slightly modified from Pre-Crisis but the weight of history prevents Superman from radically changing history. So he can't save Lincoln, stop Pearl Harbor, etc. (Yeah it's a bit contrived but somehow some random event will stop him on Attempt 1 and he's a phantom any time he returns after that). But I'd allow for small changes- he can't stop a disaster but he can save some lives that were originally lost.

Superman's powers have been the same for several years. The last time I remember him pulling a power out of nowhere is the instance with Ulysses where the worthless power called super-flare was introduced. I thought it would be a good addition to Superman's arsenal at first but disappointing me heavily, it came with a price. Leaving him powerless for 24 hours, seriously? The area of effect of the power was also funny. It's almost useless against any Superman level foes.

I am fine with the powers he has now, though I would really like to see him have another power. Not the kind of powers like molecular/matter manipulations, time travel etc but something related to solar energy. He should be able to manipulate the solar energy more efficiently. Lana's powers would be a good addition to his power set.

Clem Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar

He's shown different vision powers throughout the years. Gamma vision in Unchained, 4-D in Superman Beyond 3D, super power bestowing vision in Bizarro World, "Soul Vision" in Birthright.

Then there was Torquasm-Vo in the 00s. Which Lois Lane was also able to use.

And in one issue of Pre-Flashpoint OMAC, he demonstrated telepathy for some reason.

Eventually they all fade away, and only the classic powerset remains.
    First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    He's shown different vision powers throughout the years. Gamma vision in Unchained, 4-D in Superman Beyond 3D, super power bestowing vision in Bizarro World, "Soul Vision" in Birthright.
    "Gamma vision" at least plays on his existing power set. He's generally shown to be able to sense electromagnetic radiation across the EM spectrum, from radio waves (which he can "hear") to, well, gamma rays. And being able to emit gamma rays from his eyes is no sillier than being able to do the same with X-rays, or concentrated light/infrared radiation (i.e., "heat vision").

"4-D vision" is a bit silly, but it kind of works with Superman being able to breach different dimensions. "Soul vision," not so much.
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, All Star Batman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Kamandi Challenge, Astro City, Descender, Royal City, Birthright, Saga, Black Hammer. Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, New Superman, Supergirl, Batman Beyond, Trinity, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Blue Beetle, The Wildstorm, Spider-Man, Star Wars, Black Science, Invincible, The Woods, Backstagers, Archie, Jughead, Riverdale.

Well, the "soul vision" wasn't actually a literal description. Clark wasn't looking at someone's soul. He was looking at an electromagnetic type of aura present in living things. He wasn't sure exactly what it was, because science hadn't discovered it yet, and it was called "soul" vision just because it (along with everything else) disappeared when something died.

The name is a bit problematic, but not nearly as much as some have made it out to be. There was no mystical element in the power, it was just a name Clark came up with for lack of a better term.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Discipline = Freedom.

Invincible: The greatest superhero comic in the universe!

Fantastic Member

Here's the thing... Superman having FTL powers doesn't necessarily mean he time travels... Like the Enterprise, he's able to subconsciously warp space around him while still traveling at high (sublight) speeds. I really want to see him travel to other worlds under his own powers, no helmet, no space ship.... And yeah..... I want him talking in space too, just because.