Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret Empire

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's temporary. I've known it was almost certainly temporary from the get-go since I know how comics work. That part's irrelevant to me.

Part of my problem is that he stated that Hydra!Cap is the real, genuine Steve Rogers, with no tricks. As shit a decision as Hydra!Cap is, if Marvel had stuck to their guns on this even in the face of all the deserved criticism of that choice, I could at least grudgingly respect it from that angle. But they can't even do that, as issue #2 showed.
    We don't really know what the ending of #2 means or if that's the real Steve Rogers. As some said this could be a depiction of what's going on in Hydra-Cap's head, a representation of his internal struggle or as I've theorized the cube fragments have taken human form as Steve Rogers at different times. It's a bit too early to conclude this is the real Cap.

Quote Originally Posted by arachnidbethlehem View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new, so I hope it's ok to post this here. Is anyone else incredibly disappointed with the art in this issue?
    I liked it but I can see how it's not for everyone.

Hi everyone, I'm new, so I hope it's ok to post this here. Is anyone else incredibly disappointed with the art in this issue?
    Absolutely, it is not good at all. As I have said in the issue thread. Don't have a problem with the artist per se, but this is a poor example of his style and poorly positioned on a summer event IMO.

All-New Member

I appreciate everyone's opinions so far. And I'm coming from a place of not really being much of a fan of Sorrentino's. So that probably negates my opinion. But I saw this panel at the end of the comic and was just flummoxed. (I added the circles to make the point to some of my friends.)

Secret Empire (2017-) 002-025.jpg

I appreciate everyone's opinions so far. And I'm coming from a place of not really being much of a fan of Sorrentino's. So that probably negates my opinion. But I saw this panel at the end of the comic and was just flummoxed. (I added the circles to make the point to some of my friends.)

Secret Empire (2017-) 002-025.jpg
    but look at the others. they are all anatomically correct, yes? so maybe Amadeus was mid-transformation.
    Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Because its fun, not as fun as the liberal meltdown but close
    11/10/2016

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    but look at the others. they are all anatomically correct, yes? so maybe Amadeus was mid-transformation.
    Very true! But your explanation doesn't sit well with me.

BANNED

Not as bad as Deodato-Cap's weird leg tumor, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post

Could be worse, it could be Stegman at the start of Uncanny Avengers where everyone looked like they had severe boneitis (to this day it remains a mystery why).

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post

He has as many issues with legs as Liefeld does feet.
    11/10/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Could be worse, it could be Stegman at the start of Uncanny Avengers where everyone looked like they had severe boneitis (to this day it remains a mystery why).
    well he just has a cartoony style to begin with. not my personal preference. but he tells a visual story adequately enough.
    11/10/2016

He has as many issues with legs as Liefeld does feet.
    That's not his only issue.

Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Batwoman, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Defenders, Hawkeye, Secret Empire, Sam Wilson, Steve Rogers, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja, Nancy Drew

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    That's not his only issue.

he's just bursting at the seams with national pride.
    11/10/2016

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Absolutely, it is not good at all. As I have said in the issue thread. Don't have a problem with the artist per se, but this is a poor example of his style and poorly positioned on a summer event IMO.
    I love Sorentino (sp?) work but it needs to be in the right context. He's perfect for OML, he's all wrong for this. I think this is one of those "wrong tools for the job" scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    I love Sorentino (sp?) work but it needs to be in the right context. He's perfect for OML, he's all wrong for this. I think this is one of those "wrong tools for the job" scenario.
    it's a group of kids signing up to assassinate Steve Rogers.
    11/10/2016

it's a group of kids signing up to assassinate Steve Rogers.
    well I mean, I think his art worked great for the part of the story that focused on what was going on in the darkforce. His art style works well there, especially the image of dagger lighting the city from atop the cathedral. I think they should have swapped artists like they did back with Angela when they had different artists cover the different "elements" and it would have felt much better. He could have done the darkforce, Dauterman could have handled the rest. It would have highlighted the other-worldy nature of the darkforce and would have been just fine.

EDIT: reference snippet. The full page flows from light to dark with each panel, the black and whites use the color well. This is the kind of "moody" work that makes Sorrentino shine.

dagger.jpg
    Last edited by GrandEleven; 05-18-2017 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    I'm quite happy with this issue (mostly owing to the Natasha focus). Art is okay for me. Granted, after suffering through Jon Malin on Thunderbolts, I've become quite forgiving in terms of art.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Batwoman, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Defenders, Hawkeye, Secret Empire, Sam Wilson, Steve Rogers, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja, Nancy Drew