Page 110 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 1730

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/DouglasTa...23329570910208

New character announced for The Gifted Shatter.
    You can see him in one of the trailers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    You can see him in one of the trailers.
    Which one?

The character is a Morlock in the comics. YES, more Morlocks please.
    We will see if he is going to be one of the anti-human terrorists among the mutants that Moyer talked about in his recent interview.

RT: How does Reed answer for his job to Lauren and Andy?

Moyer: The mutants are protecting themselves. They’re defending themselves. They’re not doing anything physically dangerous to other people, until of course Polaris (Emma Dumont) starts physically hurting that policeman and smashing the cars up and doing all that stuff. They are defending themselves and just trying to live.

So the very first few people that we meet are heroic in that way, in that they’re standing up for what they believe. There will be people within this universe who aren’t like that.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...d-mutant-kids/
    The rest of the interview at the link. From the sound of what is said there are going to be what amounts to straight up anti-human mutants, there will be those who want to hide and help mutants and there are enemies of the state who want to fight back against just the Sentinel Services initially and they haven't been coy about who that might be.

Last edited by jmc247; 09-13-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Astonishing Member

E! Entertainment Television Reviews The Gifted

The Gifted
    Premiere Date: Monday, Oct. 2 at 9 p.m.
    Time-Slot Competition: Kevin Can Wait/Me, Myself & I and then Superior Donuts (CBS), The Voice (NBC), Dancing With the Stars (ABC), Valor (The CW)
    Stars: Stephen Moyer, Amy Acker, Sean Teale, Jamie Chung, Coby Bell, Emma Dumont, Blair Redford, Natalie Alyn Lind and Percy Hines White

Tierney Bricker: I'm SO in. Great cast, impressive effects (that still look like they could hold up beyond the pilot, unlike other superhero-adjacent series that will not be named), a chills-inducing cliffhanger and compelling storylines, all add up to create a tight episode that should appeal to a broad audience. Ugh, I've become one of those people who uses the word broad. I'm officially old. But whatever! Watch it.

Chris Harnick: Full disclosure: I was SO skeptical of this show when it was announced. I've been reading X-Men comics for basically my entire life and the movies have yet to really get the merry mutants right, so a TV version made me really uneasy. That said, The Gifted pilot was entertaining and intriguing enough for me to move on to episode two. Bring in more familiar characters with easy TV powers and I'll be happy.

Lauren Piester: The Gifted might just be the new show to get most excited about this year. It's both reminiscent of the original X-Men trilogy and something completely new, with impressive effects and and an impressive cast. Plus, it made me want more immediately, which is always a good sign.

Billy Nilles: There's a reason The Gifted had the most viewed trailer of the season. The concept is killer, the execution of the pilot even better. And that cliffhanger? Can I have episode two now please?! Make room for this show on your DVR now.

http://www.eonline.com/news/879414/r...-confusing-one
    Buddy TV on the 7 best Fall shows.

The Gifted

As one of the many contributions to superheroes on TV, this FOX gem is among the best. Yes, it is technically about mutants and hints at the X-Men Universe. These particular mutants are cast as young teenagers and aren't saving the world. Rather, they're running for their lives in a country and time that won't accept their differences. Stephen Moyer and Amy Acker play the parents to the X-Men-in-training, and the premise (at least in the first few episodes) centers on the instability of the family's safety.

The children, played by newcomers Natalie Alyn and Percy Hynes, have believable sibling chemistry, and the family makes for a pretty good lead. Of course, they're fighting an evil government faction, so it makes it pretty easy to take their side. The premise is set up as a rather heavy-handed metaphor about tolerance and acceptance, but the first episode makes up for it by its exciting end.

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/the-...017-65974.aspx
    And TV Line review... call this the day of the professional TV site reviewers.

THE FIRST IMPRESSION | The fall’s most-anticipated new drama (per a TVLine poll), The Gifted grabs you from go, marrying an instantly engaging premise with some rather slick visual effects. (The “invisible” barriers that Lauren thrusts into people’s paths, as well as Blink’s handmade teleportation “portals,” are rendered in especially cool ways.) The dynamics and powers within the mutant underground are quickly and clearly established, as are the relationships among the Struckers. Yes, Marvel’s X-Men are referenced… as having gone off the grid, thus leaving these non-marquee mutants to fend for themselves against formidable, perhaps-reprehensible government foes.

The pilot alone packs at least two significant plot twists, including one that closes the hour before the screen abruptly (and frustratingly!) cuts to black.

The cast is across-the-board solid, no easy feat with an ensemble this size and with uniformly telegenic resistance members that could have easily come off as interchangeable, yet emerge as distinct and relatable.

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE | It’d be great to see Fox have an unqualified freshman hit here, but those Dancing “stars” and Voice singers famously suck up a lot of the night’s oxygen. Even so, leading out of an increasingly buzzy Lucifer, Fox should see an improvement over Monday’s previous Gotham/Lucifer combo.

http://tvline.com/2017/08/14/the-gif...x-fall-lineup/
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-13-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Amazing Member

According to this a morlock names Trader was cast as well:

https://mobile.twitter.com/XMenSaga/...68838069022721

Astonishing Member

Deadline reviews Marvel programming this year.

Also.

One of the most anticipated new fall TV dramas is Fox's "The Gifted," which comes from the crew behind the successful "X-Men" movie franchise and features characters from various "X-Men" projects.

But other than a small X-Men logo dotting the i in the show's title card, there are really no outward indications in the promotion of the show that it is related to Marvel or the X-Men in any way. And that makes sense. Because although "Gifted" is born right out of X-Men lore, it's more of a family drama than a comic book series. And that combination of real and sci-fi produces a solid hour that will appeal to both comic book fans and non-comic fans alike.

In "Gifted," the X-Men have disappeared, and humans born with special powers, or mutants, are subject to laws banning the use of those powers. A Mutant Underground has assembled to protect mutants and, if necessary, get them to another country where the laws aren't as strict.

Leading that effort are Eclipse (Sean Teale), Thunderbird (Blair Redford) and Polaris (Emma Dumont), who are joined in the first episode by Blink (Jamie Chung). One of their major enemies is District Attorney Reed Strucker (Stephen Moyer), who prosecutes mutants to the fullest extent of the law.

But everything changes for Reed when the mutant issue hits close to home and he and his wife, Caitlin (Amy Acker), must turn their lives upside down to protect their children, Lauren (Natalie Alyn Lind) and Andy (Percy Hynes White), from the mysterious and dangerous Sentinel Services.

X-Men stories are always strongest when they have heart, and "Gifted" has a lot of it. It's only a matter of minutes before you start caring about these characters and what happens to them. I got so wrapped up in what was happening to them in the first episode that I didn't even realize the hour was up, and the excellent cliffhanger hit me like a ton of bricks.

As an X-Men comics fan, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to the use of my favorite characters. So I thought I wouldn't like the use of Polaris, one of my all-time favorites. But she works well here and promises to be one of the show's more interesting characters. And it's great that the show could succeed where the comics have always failed by finding a good way to use fan-favorite Blink.

Since the TV schedule is already full of series based on comics, it would be easy to dismiss "Gifted" as just another one to add to the list. But that would be a mistake as "Gifted" is not just another comic series. It's a good family adventure drama that just happens to be inspired by some comic books.

"The Gifted" premieres at 9 p.m. Monday, Oct. 2, on Fox.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/featu...a3da836fe.html
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-13-2017 at 11:50 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
    According to this a morlock names Trader was cast as well:

https://mobile.twitter.com/XMenSaga/...68838069022721
    If memory serves me right, he was a stock broker on Wall Street until he was outed as a mutant and went to live with the Morlocks. He died protecting Electric Eve from the police. I think he'll be one of the mutants that Stephen was talking about in his interview with Rotten Tomatoes about being "bad mutants" since in the comics he started to become bitter and wanted to kill the co-worker who outed him as a mutie.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SahidPaul9 View Post
    If memory serves me right, he was a stock broker on Wall Street until he was outed as a mutant and went to live with the Morlocks. He died protecting Electric Eve from the police. I think he'll be one of the mutants that Stephen was talking about in his interview with Rotten Tomatoes about being "bad mutants" since in the comics he started to become bitter and wanted to kill the co-worker who outed him as a mutie.
    Electric Eve, not THAT'S a mutant that would be a great addition to this show, she fits perfectly for a low budget and with little recognition they can have free reign over who they want her to be. She was also part of Postmans Morlocks and Postman is said to be in the show

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Hmm... Can this mean that we might eventually get to see Rachel Summers as well?
    Rachel's DOFP storyline (kidnapped, brainwashed and forced to hunt down mutants using her telepathy) would work on tv far more than in a movie. But they could do it with other characters since it requires Jean and Scott to be included and old enough to have a teenage daughter. I've always thought the Sentinels hunting mutants is so unrealistic. On the other hand, telepathic hounds chasing down mutant as prey - that's easily done on a tv budget and more practical.

Fantastic Member Spiritualcramp's Avatar

Looks like yet another successful entry alongside Legion, going into next year with 3 films. What a great time to be a fan of the cinematic/TV versions of these characters.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualcramp View Post
    Looks like yet another successful entry alongside Legion, going into next year with 3 films. What a great time to be a fan of the cinematic/TV versions of these characters.
    I hope so! Let's not be premature I'm trying to keep expectations controlled just in case
    Chris Claremont, Peter David, Mike Carey, Cullen Bunn = canon. Others = fanfic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I hope so! Let's not be premature I'm trying to keep expectations controlled just in case
    The word of mouth has to spread further then its been so far, the reviews help, the high trailer views help, the social media helps, but fans seeing the show and spreading the word can help greatly as well.

In Chicago and LA The Gifted is opening tonight. Next week it will open in Atlanta and Philadelphia. Alot has been invested in this and it has everything it needs to be a hit other then enough viewers to give it a chance which is something we have to wait to see if they show up and show up in slightly over two weeks now.

http://www.hollywoodchicago.com/news...medium=twitter

http://fanfest.com/2017/09/11/free-a...d-and-ghosted/

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Yeah again just to repeat to me I feel like it has the two strikes against it of A) being associated with the heavily stigmatized toxified Fox/Singer brand B) no truly famous recognizable characters that stand out to the average joe shmoe as X-Men
    Chris Claremont, Peter David, Mike Carey, Cullen Bunn = canon. Others = fanfic.

Astonishing Member

Yeah again just to repeat to me I feel like it has the two strikes against it of A) being associated with the heavily stigmatized toxified Fox/Singer brand B) no truly famous recognizable characters that stand out to the average joe shmoe as X-Men
    Its the story that sells a TV series as well as the script and the actors. But, we don't know if for The Gifted how many show up as in 7 million viewers, 10 million viewers, 15 million viewers or 20 million viewers to give it a shot.

Pre-season online buzz as this Ad Week article talks about matters most for cable shows like Legion that have very low ratings expectations. What it means for The Gifted and Inhumans well we will see. I found this article interesting.

It is interesting, and perhaps counterintuitive that over the past 15 or 20 years, the success rate of all new broadcast television series has been essentially the same as those that generated the most pre-season buzz, roughly 30%.

Pre-season buzz seems to have more of an impact on cable series, primarily because there are fewer of them and their ratings threshold for success is significantly lower. Since 2001, roughly 60% of the most buzzed about new ad-supported cable shows became successful.

News series that seem to be getting the most pre-season buzz this season are ABC’s “Marvel’s Inhumans,” CBS’s “Young Sheldon,” NBC’s (returning after an 11-year hiatus) “Will & Grace,” and FOX’s “The Gifted” and “The Orville.”

“Marvel’s Inhumans” is the first new broadcast series I can recall with a significant amount of negative buzz leading up to its premiere – generated by online clips, Comic Con buzz, and critical panning of its initial IMAX showing (which is slated for a two-week run before its debut on ABC). If positive pre-season buzz doesn’t help much, it will be interesting to see whether negative buzz hurts.

https://www.mediapost.com/publicatio...tv-series.html

Mighty Member

I am not sure how many members of the general public see the Singer X-Men as toxic, I think only hardcore fanboys think that, the X-Men movies were never consistently bad like the FF films are.

Also this show doesn't need super famous X-Men to be popular, Legion was not famous and his show worked, ditto with most of the Netflix Marvel series.

Here's Shatter for those wondering.