Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Wonder Woman #22 Discussion/Spoilers

Didn't see a thread for this so let's begin.

After being disappointed with quite a few recent issues, I thought this one was pretty enjoyable... for the most part. Rucka concentrates here on what he writes and likes the best: Lesbianism which is pretty appealing in and of itself although it can also be pretty repetitive considering he uses such theme in most of his works. That being said, he does write a pretty enjoyable scenario where Veronica Cale ends-up bidding for Diana and both have a pretty entertaining time together although the story takes some logical twists that contribute to this complicated dynamic. Good characterization and fun story overall.

However, I do find funny that Rucka tries to push his old Batman/Wonder Woman thing by making Bruce bid on Diana and her being interested in it which makes me laugh after how he completely disregarded the Superman/Wonder Woman pairing because, despite that both pairings are not really liked by fans, the general consensus is that Batman/Wonder Woman is the WORSE alternative.

Mirka Andolfo's artwork might be the biggest reason why I liked this issue so much. The style is pretty vibrant by being able to inject a lot of personality in the characters and tone.

Full of fanservice but in a good way at least.

This was so much fun to read. The art was great and the interpersonal drama between Diana and Cale was fun to get into I hope we see more of this going down the line. The issue wasn't super big on story but just that exchange especially after them taking so long to meet was amazing. Also it was really nice to see Diana in civilian clothes.
    Last edited by Gemini; 05-10-2017 at 10:25 AM.

This would have been a GREAT issue, and story, if not for the art....it was very good, but such a stark contrast stylistically, that it took me completely out of the story...I forgot where this fell in the series, actually. The TPB was just ruined, I'm afraid.

Very interesting to get this piece of background on the VC/WW relationship.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I'm a bit of a detractor of the art, since I don't find Mirka Andolfo's faces that interesting, though they are really cute. That being said, holy cats, this issue's art was sexy. I've been reading some other discussions, and that's been a really consistent theme.

The writing was solid as always with Rucka, and I loved the "we're both spying on each other" element that makes both characters more interesting.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Reviews

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

There's definite sexual tension between the two of them, but at this stage I'm not expecting it to be any more than just that. Though it would be extremely interesting to add an overt sexual element to their dynamic.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Ultimate Member

Tbh I skipped through this rather quickly since I got the sense of it being the kind of scene in movies I usually walk out on to take a wee or a cup of coffee during.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    There's definite sexual tension between the two of them, but at this stage I'm not expecting it to be any more than just that. Though it would be extremely interesting to add an overt sexual element to their dynamic.
    Now that you mention it... what if Cale and Cyber were actually lovers?

Diana/Cale on the other hand, I am kinda reminded a little too much of Aleka/Diana in the sense that it would be a pair of lovers that never were.

I didn't mean to suggest that Diana and Cale were interested in each other - at least not on Diana's side, since Cale is not someone who exemplifies the kinds of virtues that she loves. I don't even think she would find Cale a very good friend, let alone romantic interest.

Cale may or may not want Diana. I make no speculation there.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I didn't mean to suggest that Diana and Cale were interested in each other - at least not on Diana's side, since Cale is not someone who exemplifies the kinds of virtues that she loves. I don't even think she would find Cale a very good friend, let alone romantic interest.

Cale may or may not want Diana. I make no speculation there.
    It's more the sort of where everyone else is standing around them going: "Kiss her you fool!"

Did anyone here say enemies to lovers?

I really liked the art, it had it's charm, overall an entertaining issue though I felt it a bit filler-y.

Btw, Diana totally stole Cassie's clothes for her date with Cale.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

This was bad fan-fiction. Is there now anything more cliche, other than Bruce Wayne having two dates at a fundraiser, than every woman having sexual tension with the innocent, sweet Diana that will never be consummated. I had such high hopes for Rucka's return to WW, and while there have been nuggets of good, honestly this run has really been underwhelming. Looking forward to a new permanent writer

Andolfo made Diana and Cale look like teen-agers on their "date". What's up with that? Not a big fan of his facial expressions either. They don't always seems to match the dialogue. A fun issue nevertheless.
    Congrats to Patty Jenkins, Gal Gadot and the DCEU on the success of their Xena movie. 😏

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Andolfo made Diana and Cale look like teen-agers on their "date". What's up with that? Not a big fan of his facial expressions either. They don't always seems to match the dialogue. A fun issue nevertheless.
    I think the head size is part of the problem.

The issue was enjoyable but I feel like nothing really important happened. We already knew magical places were in another dimension. Seems like a filler.

I liked it. The characterization of Veronica was pretty good, and Diana knowing all along what Cale had planned for her was nice. Not a huge fan of the art style, as it is very cheesecakey (which can be good, but Wonder Woman is not the place for it) and the characters all look very young.

I thought at first the big redhead with Cale and Maru was going to be Giganta and I got excited, but it turned out to be one of the members of Team Poison.

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    This was bad fan-fiction. Is there now anything more cliche, other than Bruce Wayne having two dates at a fundraiser, than every woman having sexual tension with the innocent, sweet Diana that will never be consummated. I had such high hopes for Rucka's return to WW, and while there have been nuggets of good, honestly this run has really been underwhelming. Looking forward to a new permanent writer
    Eh, the Bruce stuff was bad, but it was minimal and it was Rucka. You knew he'd do it eventually and I'm just glad it was only as fleeting as it was (holding my breath for the annual though). I do agree overall his run has been extremely underwhelming overall but I enjoyed this issue and for someone who isn't a big Cale fan, I enjoyed the way he wrote the two of them here. But that's me. Everyone and their mother does slight innuendo in regards to Diana and other women, but that's why I'm hoping someone actually goes somewhere with this one. The fact that Veronica isn't a "good guy" would make it even more fun. Its why I was into the idea of Diana and Barbara too but they wussed out. They'll probably wuss out again but one can hope.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.