Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 198
  1. #46
    Incredible Member SicariiDC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Murda Mass
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I shall keep an eye out for them!
    Even Darkseid War, which u probably read. But yeah, that gives a decent idea who the players are in the current continuity. And of course Morrison's JLA run had cool New God's stuff, Simonson's​ Orion series, etc. Idk...I can't really get with the ancient Kirby stuff
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

  2. #47
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SicariiDC View Post
    Even Darkseid War, which u probably read. But yeah, that gives a decent idea who the players are in the current continuity. And of course Morrison's JLA run had cool New God's stuff, Simonson's​ Orion series, etc. Idk...I can't really get with the ancient Kirby stuff
    I actually didn't read that, because I don't like the Justice League (I know, I'm a terrible person, but I just don't like thinking about Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman in the same adventure). I'm mostly interested in the Mister Miracle/Big Barda stuff. Are they in Darkseid War?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Reviews

  3. #48
    Incredible Member Kaijudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Full Jesus would mean he'd be resurrected.
    Ah. Very good point.

  4. #49
    Mighty Member NightwingIvI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Anywhere but Blüdhaven
    Posts
    1,166

    Default

    I normally like King and defend his reptition, but man this is clunky. I am still excited to read this nonetheless.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

    Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)


  5. #50
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You could tell just from the preview alone that this is definitely a Tom King comic .
    The nine panel page format was rather obvious.

  6. #51
    X-Cultist nx01a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    47°9′S 126°43′W
    Posts
    8,639

    Default

    "One of the fun things for me is taking all of these Kirby designs and taking the crazy world of New Genesis and the crazy world of Apokolips and boiling it down to more Game of Thrones. All that stuff is still there and the motifs can still be there. But I’m bringing it down to a base level that everyone can understand, and feels a bit more tactile and real."

    Why do I always hate hearing creators say that? Personally, I want to be awed. I want concepts to blow my mind and make me think outside the box. I... don't want to read about New Westeros. I'll give the book the benefit of the doubt since I absolutely love Barda but I'm hesitant.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

  7. #52
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    24,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    "One of the fun things for me is taking all of these Kirby designs and taking the crazy world of New Genesis and the crazy world of Apokolips and boiling it down to more Game of Thrones. All that stuff is still there and the motifs can still be there. But I’m bringing it down to a base level that everyone can understand, and feels a bit more tactile and real."

    Why do I always hate hearing creators say that? Personally, I want to be awed. I want concepts to blow my mind and make me think outside the box. I... don't want to read about New Westeros. I'll give the book the benefit of the doubt since I absolutely love Barda but I'm hesitant.
    With King onboard, I imagine it'll still be pretty awe-inspiring, at least in some form.

  8. #53
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,175

    Default

    This looks even better than I had expected. DC might have set up a classic here.

  9. #54
    X-Cultist nx01a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    47°9′S 126°43′W
    Posts
    8,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    With King onboard, I imagine it'll still be pretty awe-inspiring, at least in some form.
    I'm interested in reading about New Gods being gods, not New Gods as 'relatable' people might as well just be humans with powers. We'll see. I'll at least try the first issue.
    Last edited by nx01a; 05-13-2017 at 01:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

  10. #55
    Ultimate Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    It's most likely that Scott is a pacifist at heart and would continue to get up and struck down over and over, without giving Orion the satisfaction of 'beating' him, until Orion concedes. Which, by his nature, he probably wouldn't.

    Barda likely sees it as a pointless show on both their parts.

    Meanwhile, Orion is still hung up on identifying by labels, calling himself 'the son of Darkseid', which to him makes him more righteous or important. And contrasts with the fact that he lived in the luxury of New Genesis while Scott suffered the worst of Apokolips.
    It also contrasts with how he treated Forager as 'lesser being' than him, or any other New God, because he was a Bug, despite his heroism and sacrifice dwarfed anything Orion had done.
    Orion demands respect for his lineage and label, while refusing it to others who deserve it by their acts and experiences.
    A great summation of Orion's world view.

    This makes me wonder if Orion is resentful of Scott and Barda's life. As a god of war nothing would be more satisfying than to survive hell and come out stronger as a result. The struggle and fight are what Orion lives for. Barda bringing up the fact that he was raised on lush New Genesis would be the ultimate slap in the face to Orion. He is The Dog of War and the Son of Darkseid! Yet he grew up in paradise.

    There are so many brilliant facets to the New Gods stories. The nature vs nurture argument of Mr. Miracle/Barda and Orion. The fact that the benevolent gods of New Genesis are still xenophobic when it comes to the Bugs (a species they themselves had a hand in creating). And of course Barda and Scott's story. They are immortal gods who are trying to be average humans. Not in the secret identity way that Superman uses but in the literal sense. They buy a house in the suburbs, watch tv, mow the lawn, etc.

    In my mind Scott Free is the antithesis to Darkseid. If Darkseid is the essence of totalitarianism and the death of free will, Scott represents life and freedom. Mr. Miracle is the Life Equation!

  11. #56
    Fantastic Member Soldy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Great news! Solid creative team. I hope this turns out as good as King's Vision.

  12. #57
    Spectacular Member zoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Its New Gods so I'm getting it but not liking some things for example I liked it Orion struck 52 costume it was modern updated then going back to his classic costume which chunky outdated especially wearing pants/trucks over costume I mean superman don't wear that anymore, also not liking how Orion been written in those preview panels hope written much better later I wonder Orion still have prophecy and destiny being one to deafeat Darkseid.

    Also is Justice League Darkseid War even canon anymore with Darkseid being baby Grail his daughter etc and Barda and Scott being in that event all is that retcon due rebirth.

  13. #58
    Incredible Member SicariiDC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Murda Mass
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I actually didn't read that, because I don't like the Justice League (I know, I'm a terrible person, but I just don't like thinking about Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman in the same adventure). I'm mostly interested in the Mister Miracle/Big Barda stuff. Are they in Darkseid War?
    Yeah they are and play a big role iirc.

    I'm not a big JL person either (slogging thru the first rebirth trade right now) but Johns does them decent and if nothing else read the Morrison JLA stuff where Barda and Orion were down
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

  14. #59
    Focused Totality Psycwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cavern X
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    Ridiculously excited for this book. King's Vision was phenomenal and out of the box so if this is anything like that then I'm ready.

  15. #60
    Mighty Member klynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I'm interested in reading about New Gods being gods, not New Gods as 'relatable' people might as well just be humans with powers. We'll see. I'll at least try the first issue.
    I'm actually intrigued by the "relatable" people aspect but then I have no history whatsoever with the New Gods. However if it was simply about the gods aspect I probably wouldn't be interested at all. For some reason, though, I've always been curious about Mister Miracle/Big Barda so this looks like just the book for me to check out.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Katina "Katchoo" Choovanski, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Carol Danvers, Diana of Themyscira
    Current (Shrinking) Pull List: Motor Girl, Hawkeye, Injustice 2 (for Dinah), Batman (for Selina), Defenders, Uncanny Avengers (for Janet), Green Arrow (reluctantly for Dinah)
    Most Anticipated: return of Velvet, Lazarus and Black Widow

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •