Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 250
  1. #196
    (formerly "Superman") JAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Then those 2 stories prove that Superman wouldn't turn into a dictator.

    You mean the DCAU (Earth 12)Superman?
    Oh, totally forgot about the DCAU Superman series - no, in the comics he was slowly manipulated into feeling like people couldn't take care of things themselves and decided to do it himself. Dominus was a cosmic-esque being who was influencing him (it's one of his powers). From the "Superman: King Of The World" storyline.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

  2. #197
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Something I didn't mention in my previous post is that, whilst I don't mind Supes relationship with Lois (be it as his crush, girlfriend or wife), one thing I completely dislike is when his feelings for her as written as dependence. Every single time Supes is written like that he goes all kinds of stupid, and what should be an aspect that adds to his human side ends up as something toxic.

    Even in stories in which Supes doesn't become evil, like in Superman Prime (OM's), he just resurrects Lois because he can. Whilst I think some may find that as romantic, I see that as him being needy of her. Considering he will outlive her and by far, it would be a lot better to write him as being able to move on from Lois and continue with his life (somewhat like in Kingdom Come, but without getting old).

  3. #198
    Astonishing Member FishyZombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dosomy View Post
    Something I didn't mention in my previous post is that, whilst I don't mind Supes relationship with Lois (be it as his crush, girlfriend or wife), one thing I completely dislike is when his feelings for her as written as dependence. Every single time Supes is written like that he goes all kinds of stupid, and what should be an aspect that adds to his human side ends up as something toxic.

    Even in stories in which Supes doesn't become evil, like in Superman Prime (OM's), he just resurrects Lois because he can. Whilst I think some may find that as romantic, I see that as him being needy of her. Considering he will outlive her and by far, it would be a lot better to write him as being able to move on from Lois and continue with his life (somewhat like in Kingdom Come, but without getting old).
    I don't really see Kingdom Come as the ideal as far as Superman reacting to Lois' death either tbh. Well technically it's how he reacted to that bit with Joker, that irks me. Don't really like Supes the quitter.

  4. #199
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    691

    Default

    The Family Dynamic has always been a strong feature in Clark/Kal-El's story and Superman being married with a wife and child is a natural outgrowth of that which just enhances the humanity part of his nature, and makes his story even better IMHO.I would like to see the same happen for Peter Parker also with MJ...but I guess we will just have to wait for Marvel to realize that they are meant to be together and stop with all this Playboy Parker nonsense and trying to keep him forever locked in a high-school/young status quo.

  5. #200
    Astonishing Member Francisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Because a wife is a "ball and chain" and married men don't have "balls and a backbone." You gotta keep up!
    No, Superman when married to Lois Lane is written without balls, brains and a backbone. The same happens every time Batman is in the same comic/movie/cartoon.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

  6. #201
    Astonishing Member Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Oh, totally forgot about the DCAU Superman series - no, in the comics he was slowly manipulated into feeling like people couldn't take care of things themselves and decided to do it himself. Dominus was a cosmic-esque being who was influencing him (it's one of his powers). From the "Superman: King Of The World" storyline.
    Yeah but now DC is fixated on the fact that if Lois dies Superman goes full Hitler. Come on!

  7. #202
    Astonishing Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,028

    Default

    Being Married has never effected Superman as a hero he's never backed down from a fight or stopped being a hero even in Lois and Clark when not only married but a father and living in the shadows to not interfere with New 52 Superman's life married Superman still was active but in secret.

    As for the if Lois dies Superman is portrayed as Hitler I disagree in Injustice it wasn't only that Lois and their child died and Metropolis was destroyed it was that he was the instrument of it all tricked by the Joker, in Kingdom Come he only retired because society condoned the killing of Joker the man who did murder Lois. Heck in the Justice Lords Universe Lois is alive and he's went dictator. Hernan Guerra/Lor-Zod of Gods and Monsters kills but never went full dictator it's not killing or someone's death that drives certain Supermen of the Multiverse to becoming dictators but their upbringing probably we don't know what made Injustice Superman who he was or Justice Lords but the fact that the Justice Lord chose that name says a lot. I don't feel Superman is being portrayed as having an inherent desire to rule if things don't go his way just a flawed few in the Multiverse like how Batman in the Dark Knight universe is a psychopath doesn't mean all Batmen are psychopaths.

  8. #203
    Astonishing Member Francisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,019

    Default

    Really? The Joker murdered his wife and the guy retired because most people (the sane ones) agreed he (the Joker) deserved to die.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

  9. #204
    Astonishing Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Really? The Joker murdered his wife and the guy retired because most people (the sane ones) agreed he (the Joker) deserved to die.
    Yes because he believes that no man has the right to be Judge, Jury, and Executioner. If he did than he would be the Injustice Superman or Justice Lord's Superman.

  10. #205
    (formerly "Superman") JAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Yeah but now DC is fixated on the fact that if Lois dies Superman goes full Hitler. Come on!
    I'm pretty sure that's a Didio fetish, maybe a Lee one, but not the current "Reborn" Superman - at least not while these creators are on the current books. The storyline right now in "Superman" I think will show that pretty well.

    If Lois died, this Superman would not go full Hitler. Not without some extreme outside influence, and even then they'd have a hard time (this Superman, if most of the Post-Crisis stories still fit) has built up mental defenses over the years. Not impossible to break, but much harder.
    Last edited by JAK; 05-17-2017 at 06:26 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

  11. #206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    No, Superman when married to Lois Lane is written without balls, brains and a backbone.
    Haven't seen it.

    I've seen Superman written better and worse, as smarter and as dumber. Doesn't seem to be correlated to whether he's married to Lois.
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 05-17-2017 at 06:39 PM.
    Doctor Bifrost

    "If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

  12. #207
    Astonishing Member Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's a Didio fetish, maybe a Lee one, but not the current "Reborn" Superman - at least not while these creators are on the current books. The storyline right now in "Superman" I think will show that pretty well.

    If Lois died, this Superman would not go full Hitler. Not without some extreme outside influence, and even then they'd have a hard time (this Superman, if most of the Post-Crisis stories still fit) has built up mental defenses over the years. Not impossible to break, but much harder.
    True. But it something that some writer and shipper alike sometimes don't understand. Even if Lois does die, Superman won't go full Hitler. And in Injustice there were a lot of things that drove Superman to madness than just killing the Joker.

  13. #208
    Incredible Member victorsage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Yes because he believes that no man has the right to be Judge, Jury, and Executioner. If he did than he would be the Injustice Superman or Justice Lord's Superman.
    Well, Kingdom Come Superman anyways. Kal-L would have killed The Joker and kept on being Superman. Killing itself doesn't lead to evil. Injustice Superman and Justice Lord Superman desired power, and control. That was their weakness, they wanted complete control of the world, and took it by simple might.

    The original Clark Kent would throw bad guys off bridges, but he never tried taking over the world, because he had no interest in controlling people.

  14. #209
    Incredible Member victorsage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    If they make Lois likable I will tolerate her. But a bigger problem that I have in all of this is apparently if Lois dies either Superman turns into a tyrant or goes to exile. Is like Lois is the only anchor he has to his humanity. And I always thought he was a good man because of the values Martha and Jonathan Kent instilled on him. He is human in every way except biological. So will Lois will die, he will grieve but he will stay strong. Look at the Superman of Earth 12(DCAU) for an example of this.
    Lois Lane Kent (the Original Lois) literally dies in Kal-L's (the original Superman's) arms. He's hurt at first, and angered obviously. But that didn't stop him from being Superman. He still fought for Truth, Justice,and the American Way to the very end.

    Clark lives for Lois, he loves her with all his heart. Her dying would cause him great pain, but it wouldn't make him a tyrant. That's not in his character. The Real Man of Steel as designed by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster has no interest in being a dictator, no. The original Superman stopped dictators, and killed more then one, hell in a what if story (one of the first ever) he ends the Second World War by dragging Hitler and Stalin to an international court.

    The man has no interest in political power, or controlling peoples lives. He leads by example, not by brute force.

  15. #210
    Notorious M.O.S. Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's a Didio fetish, maybe a Lee one, but not the current "Reborn" Superman - at least not while these creators are on the current books.
    How does this statement make any sense? First of all, Didio is nowhere to be found on the creative credits for the game or the comic that mostly just serves as an adaptation. You could blame Ed Boon, Byrne, Johns, or many others (even Jimenez and Perez made contributions) for actually doing a homicidal Superman, but you said Didio. Now as DC staff I guess they have some ultimate association, but if you blame Didio and Lee for "bad" ideas, then you have to credit them for "good" ideas. Though a fetish:

    1. a form of sexual desire in which gratification is linked to an abnormal degree to a particular object, item of clothing, part of the body, etc.
    "Victorian men developed fetishes focusing on feet, shoes, and boots"
    synonyms: fixation, obsession, compulsion, mania
    2.
    an inanimate object worshiped for its supposed magical powers or because it is considered to be inhabited by a spirit.
    synonyms: juju, talisman, charm, amulet

    does not qualify by either stated definition as motivation through a reasonable extrapolation, whatever the result may be.

    But anyway, on the will of creators: it was posted on the main page a little while ago (well, I saw it a few days ago) that Roger Stern turned down a second go at Spider-Man in the '80s, believing that the marriage wasn't the right way. Stern of course, is a huge contributor to the original Superman engagement, and he hung around the franchise through the marriage itself. So it's interesting how different one (major for both) writer sees the two characters, as opposed to Jordan White.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •