Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,476

    Default Spider-Man Unlimited Featured On "Worst Comic Book Animated Series" List

    http://www.newsarama.com/15445-10-wo...-all-time.html

    At the same time that Avengers: United They Stand was commissioned, this series also had 13 episodes, though when it first premiered on Fox Kids, it was pulled after a couple of episodes... for Avengers.
    While Fox did eventually air the full 13 episode season, the show, which took place on Counter-Earth and featured a suit that, frankly, has a lot of the same properties as some of the new suits Peter Parker has developed in recent comics (also a lot of the same properties as the very-popular-at-the-time-Batman Beyond, coincidentally or not), somehow never caught on.

    The show has its cult following, but it's not likely you'll ever see the Beastials popping up into regular Marvel continuity. Still, it had its redeeming qualities, like Jennifer Hale as Mary Jane Watson and its use of Machine Man.
    I remember there was a Channel 5 documentary on the 2002 Spider-Man movie years back and they also had choice words for this show at the time, "Spider-Man Unlimited was not a success because of it's confusing plotlines"

    Still, I recall being very hyped for it back then. I got the Wizard preview issue and most of the issues of the adaptation, which swiftly begun telling original stories (including appearances from Gwen Stacy and a bestial Wolverine)

    We'd eventually see the Unlimited Spidey being killed off in a Spider-Verse cameo.

    What do we think of it now? I quite liked the role John Jameson played in the show, it was different and refreshing to see a Jameson and a Spider-Man on the same side but occasionally still clashing, either due to one thinking they were a bit more right, or through John's past as Man-Wolf catching up to him.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 05-13-2017 at 03:54 AM.

  2. #2

    Default

    I remember watching a few episodes of the show. It was a competently made series about my favorite character, so I enjoyed it somewhat, although I didn't care about it enough to see every episode.

    I think it had a few problems.
    - It came pretty quickly after the 1994 animated series, and suffered in comparison.
    - It was a Spider-man series without the stuff that makes Spider-Man so popular.
    - Setting it an alternate world lowered the stakes for the other characters because they didn't mean as much to Peter.
    - Some of the characters were understood in the context of alternate version of existing characters, requiring a familiarity with the earlier material to get the full impact.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  3. #3
    iMan 42s
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,432

    Default

    Spider-man Unlimited wasn't terrible. I definitely remember enjoying it and re-watching the show years later it wasn't awful, though the counter Earth plot with the High-Evolutionary as a villain while creative wasn't a fantastic idea. I remember the High-evolutionary but I don't feel he was all that memorable nor was his minions. Is he even a Spider-man villain? Maybe for Ben Reilly to a degree but I don't recall Peter himself having him as a villain.

    It also likely suffered for the fact that it was a familiar Spider-man in a alternate setting which would make things confusing, especially since it launched after the 1994 series end. This also alters the stakes as while saving people is important, beyond any of the people from the "main" Earth and non-main cast, why should we care?
    The suit is still really cool though and I wouldn't be against it showing up again since it has made cameos since.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

  4. #4
    Incredible Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I remember watching a few episodes of the show. It was a competently made series about my favorite character, so I enjoyed it somewhat, although I didn't care about it enough to see every episode.

    I think it had a few problems.
    - It came pretty quickly after the 1994 animated series, and suffered in comparison.
    - It was a Spider-man series without the stuff that makes Spider-Man so popular.
    - Setting it an alternate world lowered the stakes for the other characters because they didn't mean as much to Peter.
    - Some of the characters were understood in the context of alternate version of existing characters, requiring a familiarity with the earlier material to get the full impact.
    So it's essentially the equivalent to what Ultimate Spider-Man was in comparison to Spectacular Spider-Man?
    Current Reading List: Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic Universe, Spider-Gwen, Unbelievable Gwenpool, Hawkeye, Hulk, U.S.Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man, Secret Empire, Secret Warriors, I Am Groot
    DC: Green Lanterns, Batgirl, Batman, Superman

  5. #5
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    5,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Spider-man Unlimited wasn't terrible. I definitely remember enjoying it and re-watching the show years later it wasn't awful, though the counter Earth plot with the High-Evolutionary as a villain while creative wasn't a fantastic idea. I remember the High-evolutionary but I don't feel he was all that memorable nor was his minions. Is he even a Spider-man villain? Maybe for Ben Reilly to a degree but I don't recall Peter himself having him as a villain.
    No, he's not. He was originally a Thor villain. He was involved in Spider-Woman's origin and has also fought the Fantastic Four, Hulk, Avengers, X-Men, and New Warriors (the most recent version with Kaine on the team).
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Herbert...am_(Earth-616)

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    So it's essentially the equivalent to what Ultimate Spider-Man was in comparison to Spectacular Spider-Man?
    Pretty much, especially if you take into account the ways Ultimate departed from the norm, featuring Peter teaming with other teen heroes.

    Ultimate had a big more going for it, with an accessible concept, and appearances by relatively big Marvel heroes and villains. Viewers are going to check out Wolverine, Thor and Iron Man more than High Evolutionary.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  7. #7
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    21,572

    Default

    How can Jennifer Hale as Mary Jane be a saving grace? She only had, like, one line in the first episode. She said more in the PS2 games (where she was also voiced by Jennifer Hale) by comparison.

    Heck, Hale had way more lines as Lady Vermin .

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,037

    Default

    Saw a little bit of it. Didn't think it was bad, per say, but I think it missed the point that Spider-Man belongs in a down-to-earth setting.

  9. #9
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Saw a little bit of it. Didn't think it was bad, per say, but I think it missed the point that Spider-Man belongs in a down-to-earth setting.
    Through no fault of anyone working of the show. They weren't allowed to have the show resemble the actual Spider-Man premise.

    http://maskedmayhem.blogspot.co.uk/2...d-look-at.html

    http://www.newsarama.com/9900-spider...ry-part-2.html

    We started out to do a low budget, but dead on faithful, adaptation of the first two years of The Amazing Spider-Man comic book. (Note: For contractual reasons, Marvel and Fox needed there to be a show with Spider-Man in the title to keep the earlier Fox Kids series in play, but no one wanted to pay for the new cartoons -- thus the 'keep it cheap' mandate.)

    We were prepping that literal adaptation when Marvel sold Sony the movie and animation rights to the 'real' Spider-Man. Suddenly, we had to do a Spider-Man show without use of the actual character since, despite the movie deal, there was still that need for something called Spider-Man to be on air in the fall. Eventually Marvel sent us a long shopping list of mismatched elements: Counter-Earth, The Knights of Wundagore, John Jameson, Deathlok, Venom -- and on and on.

  10. #10
    Incredible Member Grim Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    516

    Default

    I liked how weird it was, what a wild idea combining Spider-Man with all this Counter Earth stuff. But while I kind of dug it, it was a bizarre and bad direction for a Spider-Man cartoon to go in. I remember talking to a couple of people at the time who just completely turned off by the premise of the show and didn't get it at all. I think a lot of people felt that way.

  11. #11
    Incredible Member Grim Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Through no fault of anyone working of the show. They weren't allowed to have the show resemble the actual Spider-Man premise.

    http://maskedmayhem.blogspot.co.uk/2...d-look-at.html

    http://www.newsarama.com/9900-spider...ry-part-2.html
    Well I guess that explains it, thanks.

  12. #12
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    21,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Through no fault of anyone working of the show. They weren't allowed to have the show resemble the actual Spider-Man premise.

    http://maskedmayhem.blogspot.co.uk/2...d-look-at.html

    http://www.newsarama.com/9900-spider...ry-part-2.html
    This explains a lot.

    I also recall reading that at some point it was intended to be a Spider-Man 2099 adaption, which would've been really cool. You can definitely see a 2099 influence on the suit, which was probably one of the better things to come out of the cartoon.

  13. #13
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This explains a lot.

    I also recall reading that at some point it was intended to be a Spider-Man 2099 adaption, which would've been really cool. You can definitely see a 2099 influence on the suit, which was probably one of the better things to come out of the cartoon.
    Will talks about this in the comments.

    "Actually, Spider-Man 2099 was seriously considered, but Batman Beyond was already in the works, and had covered that territory pretty well."

  14. #14
    ⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan #1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Future
    Posts
    134

    Default

    I'd watch some eps here and there when it'd air, but I never got attached to it like I did its predecessor.

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Backwoods of Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,116

    Default

    This would have worked far better as a story arc for Spider-Man than an actual animated series. Taking out a story arc for Spider-Man to do some high-fantasy adventure like visiting another universe, Savage Land, etc., is totally doable. I also will try and rewatch the series on youtube or Netflix, but basically, I had a hard time understanding why Venom and Carnage were so different, and had a "mother" on the Counter Earth called the Synoptic?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •