Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 275
  1. #181
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    I have writerly quibbles about how to use “a.k.a.,” effectively, as you did introducing “Luke Cage a.k.a. Powerman,” (less so with the others), and my confusion about who’s speaking through the transition from 1955 to now. But I deeply appreciate the time given to the characters, to conversation, and hope this continues. And while I still prefer the energy of the art for the black and white page, the artwork’s pure and clean and appealing throughout.

    Long ago, I bought Rima and Sheena, Starfire (DC’s first Starfire), Red Sonja, Beware the Claws of The Cat, and, finally, Ms. Marvel: leaders in the welcome diversity to the SWM super-herodom of the day.

    Nowadays, it’s common to have a woman star in her own title. It’s still the rare non-white hero today who likewise stars, but there’ve become more of them in recent years.
    BP&Crew are all but singular in the comics field: an all-black super-team. Have we had one since the halcyon Milestone days of the Blood Syndicate and The Shadow Cabinet? Even if so, this time we have a powerhouse of a team, Cage, Knight, T’Challa, Storm, (I’ve not yet met Eden Fesi, a.k.a. “Manifold”). And it’s well written and drawn. It should have that recognition, and support.

    I’ve just read BP&C is slated for cancellation. That, IMO, is a tragedy. Deepest sympathies. & I ask you, please, come right back.
    Race and gender issues aside, it's unfortunate when a well written well drawn title gets cancelled. But certainly the fact that it's a well written well drawn book giving some much needed spotlight to a couple diverse minority characters sort of adds to that. But it's a tough market where most books not a part of established franchises do fail. All marvel can do is keep trying.

  2. #182
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    these arguments about race is so tired. explain to me when you read an xtitle and there are nothing but white heroes do you have this same perception?
    all of these characters have history to a degree and it's nothing wrong with employing a bit of a mix such as this when the opposite (where he have mostly if not all white characters) is beyond saturated in most mainstream comics.
    yeah, you're right. I forgot about that famous blade/war machine that happened. Tony Stark didn't even really like rhodes.

    Now, that's just one person that, and I get that Rhodes had a connection to most of the people there, but the idea that rohodes needed a private "black only" service is specifically what I'm referring to.

    You brought up the comparison to the x-men; when wolverine died EVERYONE mourned him. it would've been weird if there was a second service and kitty told storm "hey, listen storm, I know you were dating wolverine...but we want to have our own special 'white only' service. I'm sure you understand."

    THATS the part that's weird to me.

  3. #183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    yeah, you're right. I forgot about that famous blade/war machine that happened. Tony Stark didn't even really like rhodes.

    Now, that's just one person that, and I get that Rhodes had a connection to most of the people there, but the idea that rohodes needed a private "black only" service is specifically what I'm referring to.

    You brought up the comparison to the x-men; when wolverine died EVERYONE mourned him. it would've been weird if there was a second service and kitty told storm "hey, listen storm, I know you were dating wolverine...but we want to have our own special 'white only' service. I'm sure you understand."

    THATS the part that's weird to me.
    It wasn't a "blacks-only" service. We did see white people in attendance. Also, Tony's absence was explicitly goddamn explained in the actual goddamn story. I'm pretty sure you've brought up the "why was Tony not there?" complaint before. Because he couldn't bring himself to go! That's why! Rhodey was his best friend and he didn't have it in him to attend his best friend's funeral. It was more than he was emotionally capable of handling at that moment.

  4. #184
    Fantastic Member dkrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I doubt it was.

    Looking at the backlash and the book being called a Black Lives Matters and anti cop book-I probably would done a straight up one shot 100 pager for 10 bucks. That would explain the Americops and I would probably toss in someone who actually works for the police in the story.

    Now to be REAL honest with you-I probably would not do the story. Marvel's image and any perceive bashing of cops is not going to win you fans. And I say that as someone with a family member killed by a cop and a family member who is a cop and almost got killed on July 7th in Dallas.

    I rather see Misty & Storm deal with some killer in the vein of Joker. Show off Misty's detective skills and Storm can be just as dangerous not using her powers.
    Hey i wouldn't mind seeing that

  5. #185
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    It wasn't a "blacks-only" service. We did see white people in attendance. Also, Tony's absence was explicitly goddamn explained in the actual goddamn story. I'm pretty sure you've brought up the "why was Tony not there?" complaint before. Because he couldn't bring himself to go! That's why! Rhodey was his best friend and he didn't have it in him to attend his best friend's funeral. It was more than he was emotionally capable of handling at that moment.
    Folks don't hear you.

    Sam Wilson issues 10 page 16 panel 3

    Sam: This Should be Tony.
    Misty: Tony is in no shape.

    Page 19 3rd panel

    Front row to the left- Brother Voodoo, Storm BP, MS MARVEL, Steve Rogers, Spectrum & Luke Cage.
    Second row to the left Rogue, Beast, Miles Samuel L Jackson, Ironfist, Kasper Cole & Valkyrie
    Third row to the left DEADPOOL, Vision, either it's Jessica Jones or Kate Bishop, Mocking Bird, Tigra, Jane Foster & Sam Alexander

    I count 13 nonblacks.
    Miles is biracial as is Kasper Cole
    6 full blooded blacks. Even if you count them that is 8.

    In panel 4-you see a WHITE WOMAN.

    Page 20 panel 7

    I see a white woman who looks like Kitty Pride

    So how is that a black only funeral?

    I guess one would have to READ the book to understand that.

    ANd folks WONDER why Nick Spencer goes off.

  6. #186
    Mighty Member Redjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lost Angles
    Posts
    1,184

    Default

    but... but... if i ever actually READ it how could I go on hating it? and, WORSE, what if I read it and I<shudder> actually LIKE IT?

    We can't have people going around LIKING new things! It'll be anarchy, I tell you!


    ANARCHY!
    The Jack is BACK.

    MY SITE

  7. #187
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    25,426

    Default

    Y'know, this discussion reminds me that I wish Rhodey had lived to be in this book.

    He probably wouldn't have saved it from being cancelled (especially with his recent ongoing track record) but still. Especially given his history with the original Crew.

  8. #188
    I am Storm's fiance RLAAMJR.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Inside Storm's heart
    Posts
    25,445

    Default

    The book could have sold more if the title was called "fantastic four"
    "Lightning, deliver this place from darkness." - Storm in X-men TAS.

    You should read The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl solo, X-men Gold, Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther solo and Storm's second ongoing solo coming on 2018 with Ta-Nehisi Coates as writer as Jen Bartel as artist

    "The Month of May is Ororo Munroe aka Storm Month"


    Faves: Ororo Munroe aka Storm (Marvel), X (Dark Horse), Vincent Van Goat (Valiant), Superboy Prime (DC), Ingrid (Street Fighter), Celine Dion (Music)

  9. #189
    Niffleheim
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    6,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    The book could have sold more if the title was called "fantastic four"
    Nope. Incessant demands to bring back the F4 because of Legacy would have made it harder for Marvel to continue justifying shelving them after giving them such a great send off to the edge of the universe.
    Last edited by DeathGods; 05-20-2017 at 12:42 AM.

  10. #190
    Astonishing Member Old School Ollie 1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Tacoma, WA.
    Posts
    2,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    The book could have sold more if the title was called "fantastic four"
    No. It absolutely would not have sold more. The very idea of calling the title "Fantastic Four" would have never occurred to anyone at Marvel.

  11. #191
    I am Storm's fiance RLAAMJR.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Inside Storm's heart
    Posts
    25,445

    Default

    How about "Secret Avengers"?
    "Lightning, deliver this place from darkness." - Storm in X-men TAS.

    You should read The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl solo, X-men Gold, Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther solo and Storm's second ongoing solo coming on 2018 with Ta-Nehisi Coates as writer as Jen Bartel as artist

    "The Month of May is Ororo Munroe aka Storm Month"


    Faves: Ororo Munroe aka Storm (Marvel), X (Dark Horse), Vincent Van Goat (Valiant), Superboy Prime (DC), Ingrid (Street Fighter), Celine Dion (Music)

  12. #192
    Fantastic Member FriendRoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    497

    Default

    - the first two issues where perhaps the worst two first issues of any series I've ever read. Who did they think was going to pick that up and go man, this was fun I want more

    - the setting up of the og crew was weak and in no way interesting, in no way made me care about the concept

    - what was up with how Misty night was drawn

    - Storms charactererization, to me in my opinion, seems to be whatever the writer in each book currently wants it to be

    - Coates has written/co written about 18 of the most boring comics I've ever read. The guy has no sense of joy or optimism that one tends to look for in heros's

  13. #193
    I am Storm's fiance RLAAMJR.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Inside Storm's heart
    Posts
    25,445

    Default

    I still think putting bp's name have limited the number of people who would have picked up the book. But whether im wrong or not, im just glad it has written well.
    "Lightning, deliver this place from darkness." - Storm in X-men TAS.

    You should read The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl solo, X-men Gold, Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther solo and Storm's second ongoing solo coming on 2018 with Ta-Nehisi Coates as writer as Jen Bartel as artist

    "The Month of May is Ororo Munroe aka Storm Month"


    Faves: Ororo Munroe aka Storm (Marvel), X (Dark Horse), Vincent Van Goat (Valiant), Superboy Prime (DC), Ingrid (Street Fighter), Celine Dion (Music)

  14. #194
    CBB 4 LIFE Mr MajestiK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    - the first two issues where perhaps the worst two first issues of any series I've ever read. Who did they think was going to pick that up and go man, this was fun I want more

    - the setting up of the og crew was weak and in no way interesting, in no way made me care about the concept

    - what was up with how Misty night was drawn

    - Storms charactererization, to me in my opinion, seems to be whatever the writer in each book currently wants it to be

    - Coates has written/co written about 18 of the most boring comics I've ever read. The guy has no sense of joy or optimism that one tends to look for in heros's
    Agreed 100%.

    Marvel overlooked actual professional comicbook writers with proven track records, and chose to go with a big name nonfiction author who described the previous Black Panther work by Priest and Hudlin as being :male fantasy wish fulfillment."

    I guess rape camps and rampant misogyny into Wakanda are Coates on personal wish fulfillment then.
    Enjoying the camraderie of friends and family is all that matters in the world.

    Mr MajestiK took a short hiatus and the Chaos Bringer was reborn.

  15. #195
    CBB 4 LIFE Mr MajestiK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I still think putting bp's name have limited the number of people who would have picked up the book. But whether im wrong or not, im just glad it has written well.
    You're absolutely right.

    They should have titled the book, Storm & The Crew.

    That way, the book would have sold ZERO.
    Enjoying the camraderie of friends and family is all that matters in the world.

    Mr MajestiK took a short hiatus and the Chaos Bringer was reborn.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •