Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by origami View Post
    The cynic in me think Marvel is publishing materials they can repackage into BP collections/trade paperbacks, for you know, when the BP movie is released.
    Yeah. When Squirrel Girl's solo got popular, they had a problem... she had almost no back catalogue, previously being a guest star or in Avengers books. They actually released a Great Lakes Avengers trade under the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl brand! You're absolutely right to think that the reason they branded this book as Black Panther and the Crew, and not just The Crew, is because they want more T'Challa material out there.

Astonishing Member

This reminded me of this article, which argued that while Coates' Black Panther did well, the spinoffs may have eaten into its sales.

I don't know if that's true, but it does make a certain amount of sense: if new readers are attracted to a book, they want to buy just that one book, and know they can get all their Black Panther or Doctor Strange needs there. Then Marvel introduces a bunch of spinoffs, and suddenly it seems more confusing, even if you don't actually need to buy the spinoffs to makes sense of the main book.

Once a book is a success there will probably always be pressure to create spinoffs, not only to capitalize on the success but - as others have noted - to provide lots of material for trades when the movie comes out. But if Vision had been a bigger hit, I don't think it would have the impact it had if they'd introduced spinoffs called "Vision's Neighbors" and "Viv Vision: Her Life at School."

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Gees, two issues out and dead already? I think that beats Ultimate FF's cancel record (cancelled just before Issue 3 was released and it was released in April and ended with 6 issues).
    this means that shops stopped ordering the book. Or there werent enough stores ordering to continue to the book.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    As I said in the BP thread i'm done with Marvel after this. They can keep relaunching Captain Marvel, Inhumans barely sells s$)$ and your going to try to sell me on books with black characters just couldn't find it's audience. Well FU Marvel Comics. My 20+ years of readership is done. It is what it is. You don't get diversity in the main books so people are aware of these characters and then they don't even give it time to catch on or promote it. Marvel gave Storm's solo 0 promotion. I just don't have the energy any more. Anything I want to read from them that's not BP i'll just use alternative channels and really don't give a flip anymore. Make mine marvel my a$$.
    I dont understand. Relaunching means that the last book was cancelled.

You are mad that Marvel didnt automatically announced the relaunch?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    This is just a prime example of a book getting drowned by Marvels insane monthly output. I bet if you asked 100 people that buy comics you would be lucky to find even 5 that even knew this series existed let alone bought it. If Marvel wants to give books like this a real chance they have to cut back on the number of series they publish every month.
    Like i said above, cancelled by issue 2 means there werent enough orders by stores. This has nothing to do with readers. Orders are made months in advance, I think 3.

But you are right about getting drowned out about monthly output. Stores have to choose which books to order so im guessing all the event books are more shinny than this book and those took away their orders. This even we are seeing now is probably what killed this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    What about S.W.O.R.D? How many issues were out when that series was canceled?
    i think it was 3 books out. I remember around that time there were 3 books that were all cancelled by issue 3 and it was funny.
    Last edited by Sighphi; 05-15-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    I get your point X, i can understand if they plot this particular event in that manner, but why isnt Panther and things related not more interwoven into more large events. Rarely will you see much go down in all of DC universe without Batman being accounted for. There seemed to be some hesitation to do this for Panther.
    I think the short answer is that writers use the characters they like. It's not even a status thing necessarily because Spider-Man has been marvels mascot for decades, but he almost never has a significant role in big events. He's always in the background somewhere, but he usually just spits out one liners.

Guys like Aaron and Hickman seemed to like Black Panther, so when they did their events (Original Sin and Secret Wars), Black Panther got role in it.

Hopefully marvel gives Ewing a big event at some point. I'm pretty sure BP and the Ultimates would get a nice role there.

Ultimate Member

The Ultimates probably won't exist by then. We know a Ewing event won't be happening for at least 18 months - there's no 2018 summer event planned at all.

Spectacular Member

Wow at least they let me know it was cancelled now before I bought more issues dang.

Genesis of A Nemesis Things Fall Apart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cykewasright View Post
    Wow at least they let me know it was cancelled now before I bought more issues dang.
    Why would that make a difference?
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Black Panther, Captain America
    DC Comics: Challengers of the Unknown, The Terrifics

Astonishing Member

1. A book called Black Panther should feature T'Challa prominently. BP isn't even getting the treatment he deserves in his own book (but that's a story for another day)

2. Marvel is putting out damn too many titles right now. Retailers can only realistically order so many books. The glut in the market simply means that lower profile books get lost in the shuffle.

3. Marvel was not wrong to try out more diverse books. Sometimes the way they go about can be problematic but it's never a bad thing to try to diversify your titles in what's a shrinking market.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Why would that make a difference?
    Probably doesn't want to waste money on a book that won't matter in six months. Seriously, they're not going to mention The Crew, or even Storm's "Blue" nickname, in X-Men Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Probably doesn't want to waste money on a book that won't matter in six months. Seriously, they're not going to mention The Crew, or even Storm's "Blue" nickname, in X-Men Gold.
    For better or for worse I think that's part of the reason the C list books have a harder time now than in the past. For a lot of readers it matters that a book matters in the grander scheme of things.

While an Avengers or an X-Men book can potentially toe into or effect the larger MU as far as events and such go, a book like the Crew likely will not. For some it's not enough to just be a good story all by itself in its own corner of the MU. It needs to matter in a larger sense. But I don't think that was as much as issue when I was growing up reading comics.

Genesis of A Nemesis Things Fall Apart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    For better or for worse I think that's part of the reason the C list books have a harder time now than in the past. For a lot of readers it matters that a book matters in the grander scheme of things.

While an Avengers or an X-Men book can potentially toe into or effect the larger MU as far as events and such go, a book like the Crew likely will not. For some it's not enough to just be a good story all by itself in its own corner of the MU. It needs to matter in a larger sense. But I don't think that was as much as issue when I was growing up reading comics.
    I'd argue that none of these books matter in the larger scheme of things. Very few Marvel writers rely on any continuity other than their own.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Black Panther, Captain America
    DC Comics: Challengers of the Unknown, The Terrifics

Quote Originally Posted by C_haos View Post
    How do you get the profile higher named writer Priest don't work, guys from tv film Hudlin don't work, world renowned authors Coates don't work. Doomwar didn't work, MWF didn't work and Klaws didn't work. He's on multiple teams and appearing in multiple books Ultimates and New Invaders upcoming probably going to be on the Avengers reboot how do you get his profile higher turn him into a villian for a bit?
    By actually supporting him and putting him on the Flagship avenger's team book with the OG avengers, Grabbing more people like Priest and Hudlin (Which they actually made quite a bit difference to the character, so i dont know why your downplaying them. Priest forced people to take him seriously and upgraded him to the 20th century, and Hudlin made the MU take him seriously as someone who can stand with the big dogs. hell Priests version is what the MCU is going off of in terms of the characteristics) to write the solo. Actually focus on keeping him front and cwnter and give him REAL clear cut victories over KNOWN A list villains. see the problem is that Coate squashed the momentum by writing a boring bias story that did no favors for T'Challa or Wakanda, Gay further destroyed that with BP WOW. so the Crew had no chance after the fiery piece of shit that was WOW. had the Crew came out first then its likely the book would of made it past 6 issues but thew goodwill form Fans has run out, especially since t'challa Didn't even feature until the last page. that is not how you raise his profile

I'm not surprised.

The whole concept of "all black comic characters know each other, right?" just seemed forced and racist.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    I'm not surprised.

The whole concept of "all black comic characters know each other, right?" just seemed forced and racist.
    You must hate A-force, then?

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    They are making the same error than with Doctor Strange. Too much books with the same character. For the moment, Black Panther can sustain one book, he is not an A-lister for the moment. They need to continue to promote the main book, with good stories. And, maybe, another writer.
    Kinda hard to say Black Panther Cant sustain multiple books when he wasn't even IN the spin off books to begin with. BP WOW was about two characters no one gave two shits about, coupled with a lifetime quality dialogue and a Chemistry between the two protagonist akin to Anakin and Padme levels of forced and awkward. and the crew book which featured Misty and Storm. Two characters with zero Star power at the moment, and t'Challa showing up at the END of issue 2. T'Challa and Cage should of been the first two characters we saw as they have the biggest draw to the book, with T'Challa being the biggest. Coates did it all wrong and now the book is cancelled. But none of it is due to T'challa being unable to have multiple titles as he wasn't even in them.