Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Geoff Johns Writing "Doomsday Clock" Event Starring Superman

'What characters are involved in the story

"There will be DC characters throughout this, but this focuses in on only a handful. There is a lot of focus on Superman, and Doctor Manhattan. Doctor Manhattan is a huge focus, and his reasons for being here, and doing what he does, ultimately have to do with Superman. And there are many, many more characters to be involved, but it is a bit early to discuss."

http://www.blastr.com/2017-5-13/dc-c...lock-interview

Sounds like this event may have huge ramifications for Superman

I like what I'm seeing here.

Looks like we're finally getting the Superman/Manhattan confrontation.

So no actual Doomsday? And Gary Frank on art duties! Doctor Manhatten? HYYYYPE!

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I like what I'm seeing here.
    Yeah, it sounds like Geoff is taking this story seriously, which I've come to expect. I'm also really glad to have him writing Superman again. He wrote some of my favorite stories both before the new 52 and during it, so it'll be cool seeing him write this. Plus Gary Frank drawing Superman again..

I definitely like what I'm hearing in terms of Johns approaching this, both in terms of not taking this kind of story lightly while also not trying to make this into a dime-a-dozen mega-crossover. It's a powerful story he wants to tell, the culmination of the Rebirth storyline and what that means for DC, and that's it.

It's also interesting to see how so many writers in the Big Two are responding to the current political and social environment and the differences in those approaches. This seems like the kind of big, grand, meta-commentary and response that I could only really expect from DC.

I know being jaded and overall distrusting of Johns is the norm here (I myself not loving a lot of his Superman stuff), but this has me pretty hype.

I also find it funny because so many people have been up in arms over the fact that Clark has had next to nothing to do with the button mystery, but now we get this big ol' thing lol.

Color me hyped!
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

"Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."

-Coffee That

Spectacular Member Knightsilver's Avatar

This has the potential to be a really interesting and thought-provoking story.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Interesting....very very interesting.

I wonder if this is where the MR.OZ mystery and the Superman Red/Blue split that gave us Nuperman and Superdad will be addressed ?
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Interesting....very very interesting.

I wonder if this is where the MR.OZ mystery and the Superman Red/Blue split that gave us Nuperman and Superdad will be addressed ?
    I'm wondering if this is where we'll finally learn who Oz is?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm wondering if this is where we'll finally learn who Oz is?
    Yeah, it's crazy how Oz nor the prisoners weren't mentioned at all in the interview. Plus, based on the interview, doesn't sound like we will find out in Flash 22. Maybe that vacation arc in Superman will be related?

Kingdom Come Board Original Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I'm just glad it's an honest to goodness Superman story. I was afraid that it was going to come down to %$#ing Batman again, because that's all DC thinks sells. Given the Dark Knight Returns is equally to blame for grim n' gritty elements taking over the DCU, it would have been a bit disingenuous to have Batman be the guy to confront the influence of Watchmen from a meta-textual perspective.

I'm sure Batman--and Wonder Woman, finally getting her due--will play a role in this story, but having it primarily be a Superman story building up to the greatest milestone in comics publishing is pretty impressive. When Detective Comics reaches issue #1000, sure, let it be another dark and broody Batman story about how a handsome billionaire so miserable about witnessing his parents murder that he has to beat up the poor and mentally ill for the rest of life, but let Superman get his moment.

Hi-Fi Fight Club Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar

Wow, I was already disappointed when I read about the Manhattan/Superman meeting, but that part has seemed inevitable for some time. Reading the rest of John's comments, sounds like this will be garbage from a writing standpoint.

Well meaning, but oblivious. Like "What Can One Icon Do?", which he co-wrote with Loeb.

And when it comes to Johns and Superman, I don't think he's had a real person vision for the character since he left Action Comics after setting up the New Krypton Saga. From Secret Origin, to Justice League, to his Pre-Truth Superman run, it's all felt soulless, in contrast to Last Son, Superman and the Legion of Superheroes, and even Brainiac, which I dislike.

Can't say I'm looking forward to this.
    Creativity without constraint comes with responsibility. We do not make art in a vacuum isolated from sociopolitical context - RG

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yeah, it's crazy how Oz nor the prisoners weren't mentioned at all in the interview. Plus, based on the interview, doesn't sound like we will find out in Flash 22. Maybe that vacation arc in Superman will be related?
    I'm wondering if this is going to be the definitive ending to the Rebirth storyline or if there's still more to tell afterwards?

I mean, it feels like there's still so much left unresolved...

Kryptonian Fascist The Eradicator's Avatar

My hunch is that there's going to be a huge revelation regarding the role Dr. Manhattan has played in the DCU since 1985, at a sort of meta "breaking the fourth wall" level. I wouldn't be surprised if it's revealed that he was the true culprit behind COIE, the end of the Silver Age Superman, Death & Return, Knightfalll, Zero Hour, and on and on, and for whatever reason, Superman has been his primary target. Perhaps it's Manhattan's fault that Supes has been unable to fully settle into his groove the last 30 years.