Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Mass confusion here. I'm not a Watchmen savant, can anyone help me out?
    I don't think the passage on the final page is from Watchmen, I might be wrong on that one, but a lot of the quotes in the pages before the final reveal are from the conversations Manhattan has with his ex girlfriend Silk Spectre on mars.

According to the article, the final quote of the issue refers to an idealistic Journalist who discovers the full extent of corruption in the world

I wonder if they'll touch on that Superman was a fictional hero in the Watchmen Universe.

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I don't think the passage on the final page is from Watchmen, I might be wrong on that one, but a lot of the quotes in the pages before the final reveal are from the conversations Manhattan has with his ex girlfriend Silk Spectre on mars.

According to the article, the final quote of the issue refers to an idealistic Journalist who discovers the full extent of corruption in the world
    Ahh. Well, despite my reservations I still think its cool to see Superman having a big role in things again.

If it is Superman. Hopefully the dumb ideas that its Superboy Prime perish in flame.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I wonder if they'll touch on that Superman was a fictional hero in the Watchmen Universe.
    Well there is precedent for that. What with the Jay Garrick was a comic character on earth 1, multiversity I believe played with that idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    So was the Flash
    "Beware my Power..."

"I'M THE G#&-&@√ BATMAN" - Batman

"The best bottle of single-malt I've ever tasted was uncorked by someone trying to sell me Loch Ness Monster pups..." - John Constantine

Astonishing Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Maybe Jon Osterman used to read Superman comics when he was a kid.

I'm entirely stoked. And I'm pretty sure this isn't even the end of Rebirth cause they said the stories would run for around 2-3 years and this will just be capping off the first year! So we get a big Superman/Manhattan book and then a whole year to deal with the ramifications of it. I think that's plenty of breathing room for Metal to happen as well. I wish they would do a big Green Lantern event after both are done.
    "Beware my Power..."

"I'M THE G#&-&@√ BATMAN" - Batman

"The best bottle of single-malt I've ever tasted was uncorked by someone trying to sell me Loch Ness Monster pups..." - John Constantine

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Casantrizos View Post
    I'm entirely stoked. And I'm pretty sure this isn't even the end of Rebirth cause they said the stories would run for around 2-3 years and this will just be capping off the first year! So we get a big Superman/Manhattan book and then a whole year to deal with the ramifications of it. I think that's plenty of breathing room for Metal to happen as well. I wish they would do a big Green Lantern event after both are done.
    I'm pretty certain they said it'd run 2 years, and this is poised to end at the 2 year mark, so I'm pretty sure that'll be the end of the Rebirth brand, if not the tone or the fallout.
    You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But Johns hasn't written anything Super-related that I've enjoyed since Superman & The Legion. And Im not the only one. Disregard the opinion all you like, but me and Sacred aren't the only ones who dislike Johns' Superman writing.
    There's no opinion being disregarded. I have criticisms of his previous work, too. But "he hasn't done Superman any favors, ever" isn't an opinion, it's a disingenuous statement. By your own admission if you did like some of his issues. It's just one of those internet things, a wall of premature disapproval where people are throwing in stuff that clearly isn't true.

But reservations are very normal. I doubt, with Johns being a pro for at least 15 years now, he even cares about that stuff much. We'll see what he has next year.

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

I credit him with bringing a full history with the Legion back at the time. The idea that the Brainiacs he encountered in the past were drones and he'd never met the true being was a good one (even if the execution ended up falling through in certain areas). Honestly though I struggle to think of anything else he brought to the table that was memorable much less really beneficial to the mythos. The classic Kandor coming back was a positive but I can't recall if Johns is the one who did that.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Maybe Jon Osterman used to read Superman comics when he was a kid.
    You might not be wrong, I'm pretty sure Batman and Superman comics did exist but real life super heroes meant they never caught on in the Watchmen universe as they did in ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I don't think killing them is a concern...having Clark and Lois' relationship tested in this story, however, might be. Seeing as we will be shown different ways he can fall...having something happen with his wife has to be chief among them.

It would be b.s given the new timeline establishes a decade plus of Lois and Clark putting up with crap and surviving though...so maybe they'll leave it alone.

We're already getting tension with the Kent family for the Black Dawn story too. Stuff like this twice in the same year might be redundant.

Final page of Flash#22 leaked (SPOILERS)

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05...ajor-spoilers/
    I also wonder this. Lois and Jon have been through a lot, would Johns actually bother doing something to either of them? I feel like, at most, Dr. Manhattan will mess with their history more in the stand alone story, but things will be fixed by the end of it.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I credit him with bringing a full history with the Legion back at the time. The idea that the Brainiacs he encountered in the past were drones and he'd never met the true being was a good one (even if the execution ended up falling through in certain areas). Honestly though I struggle to think of anything else he brought to the table that was memorable much less really beneficial to the mythos. The classic Kandor coming back was a positive but I can't recall if Johns is the one who did that.
    Yea, Johns has had some respectful "everything happened" ideas on continuity that I have applauded. Secret Origin was just so disappointing though, and as a Lex fan, I realized Johns' Lex can be really uninteresting at his core. He gets some scenes and quotes with Lex right in various arcs, but really had a weak "always all evil/crazy" kinda view of Lex's origin in Secret Origin, which really stopped working for me after I saw Smallville (a show I don't love or worship despite my avatar, but I love its take on Lex).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-15-2017 at 02:24 PM.
    Thank you America for voting for change.

Amazing Member

I'm looking forward to this...anything where Superman actually gets to be a hero in a major story works for me.

Spectacular Member

I for one am excited for this. GJ seems to do best with Superman when he has something to say. Given that this isn't a crossover and that its being contained for a limited run, it also seems to play to GJ's strengths when it comes to Superman. Like many people here I think his best work on Superman were his stories with the Legion of Super Heroes. Doomsday Clock seems perfect for a Superman story both in terms of scale and theme. As far as outcomes, I'm hoping Superman gets more of his Pre-Crisis memories back, clarity is given about what the status of the crisis is now after convergence and whether or not the impact of convergence is still in continuity or not.

Consider me hopeful!