Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Mighty Member

The mere idea of putting Superman against Dr Manhattan in a DC event written by Geoff Johns and trying to make it appear in part as a homage to Watchmen is insultingly stupid. If years ago they had told me that DC would have done something like this I wouldn't have believed it.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

Astonishing Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I wonder if Geoff "retcon" Johns will end up retconning even Watchmen in the process of writing Doomsday Clock.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 05-16-2017 at 12:59 AM.

So, Batman Earth 1 Vol 3 is Is almost finished ... finally, news about this comic...

The final rebirth Battle is in this comic, no?? If this is right. Excellent.. I can continue with other comics without manhatn interruptions..
    Last edited by adrikito; 05-16-2017 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    The mere idea of putting Superman against Dr Manhattan in a DC event written by Geoff Johns and trying to make it appear in part as a homage to Watchmen is insultingly stupid. If years ago they had told me that DC would have done something like this I wouldn't have believed it.
    I can understand this sentiment, would be in the same boat if I were a big Alan Moore fan. But I think it's hard to have not seen it coming. DC has been edging toward it since Before Watchmen was brought about.

I also think Clementine had some great points on a stylistic dilemma regarding Johns and Manhattan.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Trust me, it really bothered me too. The way my mind deals with it is this: These DCU Watchmen aren't really Alan Moore's Watchmen. And they in fact aren't. Moore had nothing to do with Before Watchmen or this. The real Watchmen is still its great own thing over there and over here is DC's shameless commercialized pathetic versions.
    Thank you America for voting for change.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Trust me, it really bothered me too. The way my mind deals with it is this: These DCU Watchmen aren't really Alan Moore's Watchmen. And they in fact aren't. Moore had nothing to do with Before Watchmen or this. The real Watchmen is still its great own thing over there and over here is DC's shameless commercialized pathetic versions.
    Oh, there is no doubt that this stuff won't change anything at all about the original Watchmen and its reputation. I am just depressed at seeing how shamelessly and creatively bankrupt DC has become.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

Fantastic Member

Did Johns explicitly say this was a "homage" to Watchmen? It almost certainly is no more that, than it is a "homage" to pre-Flashpoint Superman. They are all just comic-book characters, and DC is using them to tell another comic-book story.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I can understand this sentiment, would be in the same boat if I were a big Alan Moore fan. But I think it's hard to have not seen it coming. DC has been edging toward it since Before Watchmen was brought about.

I also think Clementine had some great points on a stylistic dilemma regarding Johns and Manhattan.
    I am an Alan Moore fan...but the man has done some interesting things to characters not his own. I'm sure Ian Fleming would not be pleased with Moore's version of Bond. And HG Wells would most likely not like what Moore did to the Invisible Man. So Moore really has no leg to stand on in that regard.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Fine View Post
    I am an Alan Moore fan...but the man has done some interesting things to characters not his own. I'm sure Ian Fleming would not be pleased with Moore's version of Bond. And HG Wells would most likely not like what Moore did to the Invisible Man. So Moore really has no leg to stand on in that regard.
    Not to mention that Alan Moore wrote Superman as well. Take the Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow? as an example.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

I don't see these characters as the "Watchmen" that Moore wrote though, they are just some variation on the concept, kind of like Whatever Happened to the Man of Tommorrow? was an Imaginary Tale, a precursor to the Elseworlds concept.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    I don't see these characters as the "Watchmen" that Moore wrote though, they are just some variation on the concept, kind of like Whatever Happened to the Man of Tommorrow? was an Imaginary Tale, a precursor to the Elseworlds concept.
    Agreed. The way I see it (based on the Multiverse as treated the last few years), the "real" Manhattan and his world is in another orrery of worlds far removed from the one the DCU inhabits. The guy in Doomsday Clock may even turn out to be an extension of Manhattan and not him, an ability he showed in Watchmen. Maybe he's populated the Multiverse with himself for the purposes of exploration?

I have always been a big fan of Johns work and really look forward to see what he brings with this Doomsday Clock story.

Excited all around for this. Gary Frank is the icing on the cake.
    Marvel Pull - Astonishing X-Men, All-New GotG, Captain America: SW, Captain America: SR, Old Man Logan, The Mighty Thor, X-Men: Blue, X-Men: Gold

DC Pull - Action Comics, Green Lanterns, Hal Jordan and the GLC, Super Sons, Superman, Trinity

Spectacular Member

I will insert a mild spoiler alert here for the end of Flash #22… mild because I'm speculating and not speaking of fact…

If I interpret the visual clues…*one way, I won't assert that it's correct… What we saw on the final of The Button may indicate that we saw the return of the Silver-Age Superman. And the battle we may see at the end of the big event will be Dr. Manhattan again, essentially, the Silver-Age Superman (from 1984, or 1971), or at least "a"/"our" Superman with his powers (perhaps I should say "His powers").

Or, put another way, an adult Superman with the powers of Superboy Prime.

That's speculation… perhaps the final page of The Button signifies, for example, a statue of Superman and not a living man. Maybe someone else has a more accurate interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikdad View Post
    I will insert a mild spoiler alert here for the end of Flash #22… mild because I'm speculating and not speaking of fact…

If I interpret the visual clues…*one way, I won't assert that it's correct… What we saw on the final of The Button may indicate that we saw the return of the Silver-Age Superman. And the battle we may see at the end of the big event will be Dr. Manhattan again, essentially, the Silver-Age Superman (from 1984, or 1971), or at least "a"/"our" Superman with his powers (perhaps I should say "His powers").

Or, put another way, an adult Superman with the powers of Superboy Prime.

That's speculation… perhaps the final page of The Button signifies, for example, a statue of Superman and not a living man. Maybe someone else has a more accurate interpretation.
    I'm not necessarily seeing the Prime connection, with exception to the direct quote from Watchmen where Manhattan spoke with Laurie (aka Silk Spectre II), and Prime's girlfriend being named Laurie. Would you mind elaborating?

What I did notice:

spoilers:
    1. There is a LOT more blood on the button floating in space in the Epilogue than there is when Manhattan picks it up a page earlier. Could this epilogue be a preview of LATER chapters of Doomsday Clock, instead of a lead-in to it?

2. Superman's shield looks pretty beaten up here. I don't see Manhattan engaging in a fist fight when he could talk it out or liquify someone with a thought (and since he can tear apart a tank with no issue, I'm assuming he could also hurt Superman pretty bad).
    end of spoilers
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."