Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How Old Was Clark When He Became Superman?

In Pre-Flashpoint & New 52/Rebirth, how old was Clark when he became Superman? In his early or mid-twenties? I know by the time of Death of Superman, Clark was 34, so he should have been Superman for a could amount of years by then.

Mid 20's? In the current iteration, he went to college/traveled after high school, and he was superman as soon as he went to Metropolis, so probably early 20's

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Mid 20's? In the current iteration, he went to college/traveled after high school, and he was superman as soon as he went to Metropolis, so probably early 20's
    Yeah, Mid-20s lol, I've read on various websites that he's started at 24/25, and that's around mid-20s.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

By Action Comics #1 (2011 version), Clark was 22 when he became Superman. it's not actually stated on page he's 22 though, it's affirmed through Star Light, Star Bright that New 52 Superman's at least in his late twenties during the five years later period.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, for every you there's someone like me to fight back. And I don't give up. - Nu52 Superman

Superman Avatar drawn by Jonboy Meyers.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    By Action Comics #1 (2011 version), Clark was 22 when he became Superman. it's not actually stated on page he's 22 though, it's affirmed through Star Light, Star Bright that New 52 Superman's at least in his late twenties during the five years later period.
    Pre-Crisis, he became Superman to pass a lie detector test concocted by a college professor intent on asking him whether he was Superboy. So... 21 to 22 there.

Post-Crisis, uh... he left Smallville after a high school football game and traveled the world a few years.

In the 2000s, he finished high school, did two years of college, and then managed to do the last two studying abroad.

Generally 21 to 22 in most takes then.

Lois generally seems a few years older or at least like someone who either finished college in under 4 years or started at a younger age than is typical.

If they ever wanted to do a throwback to Lois starting in the gossip column or reception, I'd probably peg her as an unpaid intern fresh out of college at the time. Or maybe work her graduation into an early adventure.

Pre-Crisis, Superboy became Superman in his junior year of college. The circumstances change depending on the storyteller, so to speak (i.e., in Superman: The Secret Years (1985), Superboy's decision to start calling himself Superman had nothing whatsoever to do with a lie-detector test given to Clark Kent.) So he was about 21, the traditional age of adulthood.

In his initial appearances in Action Comics in 1938, Clark appears as Superman for the first time at about the same time he applies for a job at the Daily Star. If you assume he's a recent college graduate, he would have been 22, perhaps 23, when he first appears.

Post-Crisis, in Man of Steel and Birthright both, he travels the world for many years after graduating high school before donning his Superman outfit. So yeah, he's around 25, maybe 24, in those stories. I think later on they reverted to about age 22, like Patrick Gerard says.

For the current continuity, a younger Clark (and Lois) would work a bit better. So I'd stick with him becoming Superman at about the age of 22.
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, All Star Batman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Kamandi Challenge, Dark Night: Metal, Astro City, Descender, Royal City, Birthright, Saga, Black Hammer. Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, New Superman, Supergirl, Batman Beyond, Trinity, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Blue Beetle, Deathstroke, The Wildstorm, Spider-Man, Star Wars, Black Science, Invincible, The Woods, Archie, Jughead, Riverdale.

Kingdom Come Board Original Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Yeah, early twenties. With his new buffet-style origin, his parents were killed when he was 18 like in Morrison's Action Comics origin, so he likely left Smallville soon after that to travel the world collecting college credits for his journalism degree like in Waid's Birthright origin. That would make him about 21ish by the time he arrived in Metropolis, where he starts his early rough n' tumble social crusader urban legend period before his public debut saving Lois like in Johns & Frank's Secret Origin. I would also put Lois about the same age, but possibly younger given she'd have gotten a fair bit of journalism experience during her youth hopping from base to base during her childhood. She could have been as young as 19 by the time of her first getting hired by Perry White at the Daily Planet, who wouldn't care how young she was in the slightest if she was a good reporter.

If we assume a "greatest hits" version of his Silver Age, Bronze Age and Post-Crisis adventures took up the next few years of his life (most people assume 5 years), that puts his proposal to Lois, death by Doomsday, subsequent resurrection, marriage and birth of Jon Kent when Lois & Clark are in their mid to late-20s. This would make both of them in the mid to late 30s now.

Standing Member

Pre-Crisis, if Superman was 18 when he entered colllege and he took the Superman name in his second year, I'd think he was around 19 or 20.

Present continuity, given Peter Parker became Spider-Man when he was a teen-ager, I don't see a reason why Clark couldn't have become Superman when he was 16--if DC doesn't want to ever call him Superboy.

As far as Lois naming him--there's no reason Lois could not have started her journalistic career when she was 16. It actually makes better sense, because these characters are supposed to be so accomplished and it gives them more time for all their adventures without ageing them. And Jimmy Olsen is a teen-ager (if not even younger) when he starts his career, so Lois and Clark could have been just as precocious (supercalifragilisticexpialidocious).
    That's right, that's right, I'm sad and blue
    'Cause I can't do the boogaloo
    I'm lost, I'm lost, can't do my thing
    That's why I sing "Gimme, gimme dat ding!"

--The Pipkins (another Tony Burrows one hit wonder)

Post crisis was pretty clearly about 25, 3 years after college. New 52 was pretty clearly about 22. This is the oe case, for the sake of a compressed timeline, where I can see the current continuity going with the latter.

Spectacular Member

It seems pre-crisis, it was always put around early twenties, right around the time he graduated college. Man of Steel/Post Cris put him around 25, 3 years after college. Same with Birthright, but instead having Clark spend his 7 years travelling the world, getting his bachelor's degree abroad. New 52 did have Clark start at the age of 22, the current continuity never stated how old Clark is when he first became Superman, but I assume it's either 22(to match some elements of New 52 like taking his parents dying at Prom) or 25.

TV and movies always varied with age, with only 2 tv shows (Adventures of Superman and Smallville) having him exactly at 24-25 when he became Superman, yet other tv shows(LnC, Man of Steel, Superman the movie, etc) have him in his late twenties-early thirties when he first takes on the mantle.

Standing Member

Don't forget the beloved SUPERBOY TV series which had Clark at college with Lana (and later in an X-FILES scenario before there was X-FILES)--granted he was Superboy not Superman, but he was in full costume already by then and one can assume he was supposed to be around twenty years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Don't forget the beloved SUPERBOY TV series which had Clark at college with Lana (and later in an X-FILES scenario before there was X-FILES)--granted he was Superboy not Superman, but he was in full costume already by then and one can assume he was supposed to be around twenty years old.
    Pre-Crisis, Clark was in full costume as Superboy from the time he was EIGHT years old. Granted, you could possibly consider that to be a late retcon (since it was New Adventures of Superboy #1, cover dated Jan 1980 but released in 1979, that established his start at age 8). But he celebrated his tenth birthday in his debut in Adventure Comics, issue #103 from 1946; and since he had already been having adventures in More Fun Comics for about a year before that, he would have been no older than nine when he debuted. In full costume, too.
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, All Star Batman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Kamandi Challenge, Dark Night: Metal, Astro City, Descender, Royal City, Birthright, Saga, Black Hammer. Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, New Superman, Supergirl, Batman Beyond, Trinity, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Blue Beetle, Deathstroke, The Wildstorm, Spider-Man, Star Wars, Black Science, Invincible, The Woods, Archie, Jughead, Riverdale.

Standing Member

I never watched the LEGION OF SUPER HEROES (sic) animated series, but I understand Clark is called Superman in that. How old is he supposed to be--or do we know?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I never watched the LEGION OF SUPER HEROES (sic) animated series, but I understand Clark is called Superman in that. How old is he supposed to be--or do we know?
    Well they never said on the show itself, but show started with Clark ready to move to Metropolis to take a job as a copy boy at the Daily Planet. So chances are between 16 and 19, give or take. (Plus the tie-in comic, Legion of Superheroes in the 31st century#13, also has Clark move up from copy boy to researcher competing against Lois to get their first by-line (in between the 2 year gap of going from a skinny teen into a muscle bound Superman in season 2).

Spectacular Member

Post Crisis (Modern Age) Superman started at 25 years old. Along with Bruce.

The Death happened in December of Year 13 in the detailed continuity (23 Years long), story-arc by story-arc. So he was around 38 when he died.

In the DC compressed and official chronology (15 Years long), the death happened in Year 10. So, officially, he was around 35 when he died.

In the New 52... well... thank God the New 52 era has come to an end.

In the post Reborn continuity, the jury is still out... but since the idea is to bring the pre-flashpoint earth back (with modified origins) there is a strong possibility Clark (and Bruce) started his career around between 22-25 yo.

Lois' age was never clear. I think it's fair enough to consider her a bit younger than Clark in every continuity. Maybe a couple years.
    Last edited by AntoKent17; 05-15-2017 at 12:29 PM.