Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    but who wants Superman or Batman to be pushing 40 in the comics?
    Me?

I mean, its not something I "demand" or anything, but I tend to think of the World's Finest as the ultimate authority, paternal figures. These are the guys everyone else looks up to, respects, and maybe even fears a little bit. Everyone. And if you really want to see the idea of Superman (and Bats) being the ultimate authority figure, they need some seasoning.

And late-30's isn't that old anymore. I mean, you go back a few decades and at 40 you've already got one foot in the grave, but today, the late 30's isnt all that old. Hell, a lot of people are just really starting to hit their stride in that age bracket.

I enjoy a younger Superman so long as he has the recklessness and bravado of youth to accompany his lack of experience and years. But if I want the ultimate "Superdad" then mid-30's is the youngest I'm gonna look at.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Discipline = Freedom.

Invincible: The greatest superhero comic in the universe!

Standing Member

I don't see any reason for Bruce and Clark to be that old. I hate when real world logic forces changes in the comic book characters--just to please some fussy readers who can't deal with the fact it's a comic book.

I like the heroes to be young. I'm old--I don't like to admit it, but I gotta face up to that reality--that doesn't mean my heroes have to age with me. Let them stay the young guys (around 29) that they always were.
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ‬ Blessings of Beebo Be Upon You

Bruce and Clark always came off as late 30s to me anyway. Where is it written that they were always 29? Anyway I'm only 20, is it weird that i prefer heroes on the older side?

Spectacular Member Knightsilver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Bruce and Clark always came off as late 30s to me anyway. Where is it written that they were always 29? Anyway I'm only 20, is it weird that i prefer heroes on the older side?
    Pre Crisis Superman was eternally 29 I think,but he always came across more as 30 something.

Yeah, I don't think Batman and Superman being 40 matters that much in a fantasy comic book world. Batman was already crossing the boundaries of what is physically possible when he was 29. With Superman, he could be 60 without it having any effect on his superhero career because being superhuman alien kinda throws the effects of old age out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    Pre Crisis Superman was eternally 29 I think,but he always came across more as 30 something.
    I'm curious was that ever stated? I assumed it's always been kept ambiguous.

Standing Member

It was pretty much the standard answer in the letter columns during the '70s--if a reader asked how old Ray, Barry, Hal, Clark or Bruce was. The answer was 29. I like that number because it lets them be almost 30, but not yet there. It strikes the right balance, suggesting they've been around but they still have a way to go. It's kind of like Jack Benny who was always 39.

I'm curious was that ever stated? I assumed it's always been kept ambiguous.
    In a story where Pa Kent was brought back to life for one day...the villain in the story said Superman was 29.

It was pretty much the standard answer in the letter columns during the '70s--if a reader asked how old Ray, Barry, Hal, Clark or Bruce was. The answer was 29. I like that number because it lets them be almost 30, but not yet there. It strikes the right balance, suggesting they've been around but they still have a way to go. It's kind of like Jack Benny who was always 39.
    People still find passing 30 scary? It's 30! Maybe it's just cause I've been brought up when there's so many superhero movies and everyone's played by 30 and 40 something year olds.
    I mean did anyone watch GOTG vol 2 and get put off by Chris Pratt (37) thinking he's too old, best years behind him blahblah. No, the guy looks like he's in the prime of his life.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 05-18-2017 at 08:02 PM.

People still find passing 30 scary? It's 30!
    Guess some folks haven't heard that 40 is the new 30. So theoretically, 30 would be the new 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    Guess some folks haven't heard that 40 is the new 30. So theoretically, 30 would be the new 20.
    Yeah- wait does that make me like 10?

Standing Member

This editor's note from SUPERBOY No. 171 (January '71) might be where the "eternally 29" thing first started.

Yeah, I've got that issue (Superboy teaming up with Aquaboy to stop polluters!) and I remember that page.

I just realized their math is rather lousy, though. If Superman is 29 in 1970 (when the comic was printed), Superboy would have been in his teens between 1954 and 1961, since Superman would have been born in 1941, not 1951-1957.
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Kamandi Challenge, Dark Nights: Metal, Doomsday Clock, Astro City, Batman: Creature of the Night, Descender, Royal City, Birthright, Saga, Black Hammer. Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, New Superman, Supergirl, Batman Beyond, Trinity, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Blue Beetle, Deathstroke, The Wildstorm, Spider-Man, Star Wars, Black Science, Invincible, Archie, Riverdale.

Mighty Member

This editor's note from SUPERBOY No. 171 (January '71) might be where the "eternally 29" thing first started.

Wait...so does this mean that until the 70's, Superboy was depicted as being set in the 1920's and 30's?

I assumed the sliding timescale was always in effect right from the start...they just hadn't defined it yet.

Standing Member

Superboy was supposedly in the 1920s or 1930s until this change-over. But the world of Smallville has a lot of anachronisms so, I would say it really existed in its own fantasy world (sort of like Tim Burton's Batman movies). However, in letter columns, Mort Weisinger maintained that Superman first appeared in 1938. How that could be, he never explained. It was the comic book logic of the Weisinger books.