Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 58 of 58
  1. #46
    Astonishing Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,842

    Default

    I prefer my silver age characters to be in their mid 30's these days. People like Batman, Superman, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and the like just work better at 30-39 years old when there are so many younger characters in their teens and 20's.

  2. #47
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Wait...so does this mean that until the 70's, Superboy was depicted as being set in the 1920's and 30's?

    I assumed the sliding timescale was always in effect right from the start...they just hadn't defined it yet.
    The Superboy stories I've seen were sort of ambiguous. Some of them looked like they were set in the year they were published, others looked like they were using props from The Untouchables. But there wasn't any consistent idea that Superboy was trailing behind Superman and slowly moving the setting forward.

  3. #48
    Mighty Member JackDaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    Yeah, I don't think Batman and Superman being 40 matters that much in a fantasy comic book world. Batman was already crossing the boundaries of what is physically possible when he was 29. With Superman, he could be 60 without it having any effect on his superhero career because being superhuman alien kinda throws the effects of old age out the window.
    Not if you think human supporting cast matter at all.

    I can remember the distant days when Lana, Lois, Pete, Jimmy and Perry were kind of important.

  4. #49
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    People still find passing 30 scary? It's 30! Maybe it's just cause I've been brought up when there's so many superhero movies and everyone's played by 30 and 40 something year olds.
    I mean did anyone watch GOTG vol 2 and get put off by Chris Pratt (37) thinking he's too old, best years behind him blahblah. No, the guy looks like he's in the prime of his life.
    Actually some of the movies bother me because of that. I have no problem with the heroes and actors being older in run of the mill stories. Superman is Superman whether he is 25. 35 or 45. But if you are telling a debut story, I don't buy Clark staying in the shadows for decades to accommodate casting a late 30's actor in the role. At that point skip the origin/debut and simply drop us into Superman's life 5,10, 15+ years after he made his existene public.

  5. #50
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,369

    Default

    I think Lana and Lois (and to a lesser extent Perry) were the main reason Superman couldn't get older pre-Crisis. Lana and Lois looked young, so Clark had to be the same age--because all those Superboy stories established that Clark, Lana and Lois were all the same age. Perry was older, but he could only get so old before he would have been retired. Jimmy did age, but not that much (it was ambiguous) since he was still supposed to be relatively young.

    For united we stand. Divided we fall!
    And if our backs should ever be against the wall,
    We'll be together, Together, you and I.

    --Brotherhood of Man (another Tony Burrows one hit wonder)

  6. #51
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Not if you think human supporting cast matter at all.

    I can remember the distant days when Lana, Lois, Pete, Jimmy and Perry were kind of important.
    Superman at 60, I'll give you.

    But is there really any reason Superman at 45 would be any different other than Lois and Jimmy also not being that young.

    Same with Batman. Alfred works as a guy in his 60's. Unless you are married to Jim Gordon being a cop when the Wayne murders occurred there is no reason Gordon couldn't be late 50's/early 60's. If Robin plays any role you can either make him a legacy to Grayson's original Robin or cast a 30-ish Nightwing-for-years Grayson.

  7. #52
    Mighty Member JackDaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Superman at 60, I'll give you.

    But is there really any reason Superman at 45 would be any different other than Lois and Jimmy also not being that young.

    Same with Batman. Alfred works as a guy in his 60's. Unless you are married to Jim Gordon being a cop when the Wayne murders occurred there is no reason Gordon couldn't be late 50's/early 60's. If Robin plays any role you can either make him a legacy to Grayson's original Robin or cast a 30-ish Nightwing-for-years Grayson.
    Yes...agree we could almost "dismiss" 60 as work-able at all. (With usual proviso that you can never rule out anything in wacky world of comics.)

    45? I think it would only work for me if he was married to Lois, I wouldn't buy 2 of them not getting hitched by that stage. I can easily see a lot of people disagreeing with me on that.

  8. #53
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It strikes the right balance, suggesting they've been around but they still have a way to go. It's kind of like Jack Benny who was always 39.
    I think this might be the thing. At this point the big names have trained several partners and sidekicks, (all of them, even Aquaman), several of those have aged up and become skilled, competent heroes in their own right, and some of the big names have kids old enough to start getting into the fight. The "ways to go" they had in the 70's and 60's has largely been filled in over the decades. And while continuity can change the details of the story, it doesnt change our memories and thus the impression of the characters we hold. And most of those sidekicks and partners stick around through reboots and retcons anyway because they're popular.

    Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    Guess some folks haven't heard that 40 is the new 30. So theoretically, 30 would be the new 20.
    Also this. Life expectancy is higher now than it was. And people are taking more time to hit their peak.

    Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Yeah- wait does that make me like 10?
    Well, from a chemical perspective they say your brain chemistry doesnt start to function like an adult's until age 25......and there are studies out there saying that people aren't maturing as fast as they used to.....so......no, probably not ten (that's just silly), but you're maybe not as mature as your grandfather was at your age either?
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Discipline = Freedom.

    Invincible: The greatest superhero comic in the universe!

  9. #54
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,369

    Default

    Not to bring realism into this, but most athletes enjoy the best years of their career in their twenties. I know there are some sports where you can go into your forties or fifties and some where after your teens you're all washed up. But generally it's in the twenties when someone is in their best shape.

    So for Batman I feel like his twenties would be the time when he was in the best shape. And if he's edging toward his forties then he's in decline and the young guys might show him up. I feel sorry for Batman if he's on the down side of thirty.

    Superman, being Superman, can probably stay strong forever and physically his body would have the conditioning of someone in their twenties--he wouldn't show the familiar signs of ageing like wrinkles, grey hairs, sagging flesh. One idea for Crisis was that Kal-L was just faking getting old looking and he would emerge young looking again. This is in fact the truth in "There'll Always Be a Superman," ACTION COMICS No. 62 (July '43).

    For united we stand. Divided we fall!
    And if our backs should ever be against the wall,
    We'll be together, Together, you and I.

    --Brotherhood of Man (another Tony Burrows one hit wonder)

  10. #55
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Not to bring realism into this, but most athletes enjoy the best years of their career in their twenties. I know there are some sports where you can go into your forties or fifties and some where after your teens you're all washed up. But generally it's in the twenties when someone is in their best shape.

    So for Batman I feel like his twenties would be the time when he was in the best shape. And if he's edging toward his forties then he's in decline and the young guys might show him up. I feel sorry for Batman if he's on the down side of thirty.

    Superman, being Superman, can probably stay strong forever and physically his body would have the conditioning of someone in their twenties--he wouldn't show the familiar signs of ageing like wrinkles, grey hairs, sagging flesh. One idea for Crisis was that Kal-L was just faking getting old looking and he would emerge young looking again. This is in fact the truth in "There'll Always Be a Superman," ACTION COMICS No. 62 (July '43).
    For Batman, I'd rather they follow the "Age and experience trumps youth and enthusiasm" approach. Dick Grayson can be stronger and faster. Bruce is simply better at using his abilities strategically. Nightwing hits you harder but Bruce uses his strikes more strategically. Dick catches up to you as you run, Bruce anticipates where you are running to and gets there by a different route (and you slow up thinking you lost him).

    As you say, Superman's powers are such that he may not be any less impressive at 45 or even 245. It's even possible that Kryptonians at 30 or 40 are still like humans in their teens where they haven't finished maturing and Superman at 100 might be even more powerful. And in the same way maybe Kryptonians normally don't marry until decades into what we think of as adulthood. If the species live into their second or third centuries without powers on Krypton, settling down may not be as much of a priority and a single 40+ Clark may still be sowing his wild oats playing the field with Lois, Lana, Diana, Lori .... [in a movie universe since the comics already have the marriage established]. And if Lois is not looking to have kids or a house in the 'burbs they could easily still be involved at age 45 with no rings or licenses, just sort of stuck in a holding pattern.

  11. #56
    Notorious M.O.S. Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Not to bring realism into this, but most athletes enjoy the best years of their career in their twenties. I know there are some sports where you can go into your forties or fifties and some where after your teens you're all washed up. But generally it's in the twenties when someone is in their best shape.

    So for Batman I feel like his twenties would be the time when he was in the best shape. And if he's edging toward his forties then he's in decline and the young guys might show him up. I feel sorry for Batman if he's on the down side of thirty.

    Superman, being Superman, can probably stay strong forever and physically his body would have the conditioning of someone in their twenties--he wouldn't show the familiar signs of ageing like wrinkles, grey hairs, sagging flesh. One idea for Crisis was that Kal-L was just faking getting old looking and he would emerge young looking again. This is in fact the truth in "There'll Always Be a Superman," ACTION COMICS No. 62 (July '43).
    Provided that a career takes a normal arc (Ali is a tough example because he lost good time to the suspension), most athletes outside of the Olympics don't get their best combination of physicality and skill until about 29. 29-32 would be the general peak for a male athlete. Of course, no matter when he started, Batman would look like Christian Bale in the third movie by the second year of his career, because that just can't be done by any realistic standard.

    Superman has always been around that peak range to me when his age wasn't explicitly mentioned, or maybe just outside. I don't think he could fare poorly against other Kryptonians until at least a 20 year "physical age" gap, with like a "45 year old" Superman against a "25 year old" Kryptonian.

  12. #57
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    For Batman, I'd rather they follow the "Age and experience trumps youth and enthusiasm" approach. Dick Grayson can be stronger and faster. Bruce is simply better at using his abilities strategically. Nightwing hits you harder but Bruce uses his strikes more strategically. Dick catches up to you as you run, Bruce anticipates where you are running to and gets there by a different route (and you slow up thinking you lost him).
    That's how I think of Bruce as well. He isn't the best fighter, he's not the strongest or the quickest. And I doubt he was even when he was in his prime either. World's greatest detective, not world's greatest fighter, after all. But he'll out-think you and kick your ass because he's five steps ahead. He'll cheat, use gadgets, and fight dirty. You don't know a move he hasn't already dealt with a dozen times, you don't have a strategy he hasn't beaten before. His experience more than makes up for any physical shortcomings his age brings.

    And trying to apply reality to Batman is as silly as trying to apply it to Clark. In the real world, Batman would've been killed within his first six months of activity. His stats might say "human" but there's nothing human about Batman or his (lack of) limitations.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Discipline = Freedom.

    Invincible: The greatest superhero comic in the universe!

  13. #58
    Mighty Member Adekis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And trying to apply reality to Batman is as silly as trying to apply it to Clark. In the real world, Batman would've been killed within his first six months of activity. His stats might say "human" but there's nothing human about Batman or his (lack of) limitations.
    Well said!

    Despite all that though, I still like when Dick kicks the tar out of him every so often, haha!

    As for preferred ages, I like Bruce to be in his early to mid 40s while Dick and Kal are around the same age in their early twenties.

    Naturally, this preference creates problems, as its representation is absent from everything.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •