Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fantastic Member Spiritualcramp's Avatar

VHS copies of the OT I saw at my grandmas house

Radar Sense Bitches !! Matt Murdock's Swagger's Avatar

1977 - watched the movie at the theater as part of my friend's 8 year old birthday party....been hooked ever since.

really dating myself here...May of 1977, I was in junior high school and I was so completely blown away by this movie....wow I feel old now

Probably a VHS copy (but maybe on television) in the early 1990s. A few things stuck with me (Luke, Chewie, the droids; a weird visceral memory of the Dianoga's eye peering out of the trash), but not much. Got the VHS trilogy for Christmas (the digitally-remastered-in-THX ones releasedi n 1995), which is when I first saw Empire and Jedi.

The other story I want to share though happened this March. I was responsible for gently rocking my newborn baby girl to sleep. I was getting bored by the monotony, and realized I could put on Netflix or a DVD or something. Then I realized that, even though she'd be asleep and wouldn't remember a thing, I could control the first movie she was ever exposed to.

So my daughter's first exposure to Star Wars was at the ripe old age of four...days old. I recorded it.

I was 4 years old (maybe 3.x years old actually) when original movie came out, so I missed that one. First exposure was seeing it on HBO when I was a kid. And my sister and I watched it over. And over. And over. That was before VHS I think, or at least before my family had a VHS, so that's as close to it as we came. I watched it so much (and HBO ran it so much - multiple times a day, everyday) that I had just about every line of dialogue memorized. I was old enough by the time ESB came out to see it in the theaters. ;-)
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Mighty Member
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

June (or July) 1977 (after the first wave of hordes lessened to manageable lines?)
    Little movie theater.
    Sticky floors and hard seats.
    Fell for Obiwan Kenobi because he was so similar to Gandalf the Grey. Was tickled that the character was in fact modeled after same.
    Purchased over the years a tauntaun, snow speedster, Obiwan action figures. Lost all to mom's yard sale. (dang it.)

Favorite character besides Obiwan? That alien with the loooooong snout and pair of red lips in the cantina. Makes me laugh each time.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

The Ewoks cartoon was the first thing I can say that I saw firmly, though I do not remember it very well. I remember sitting down with my mother on bonfire night to watch Return of the Jedi on TV though, with the promise of Ewoks

Going to see The Empire Strikes Back at the long-since demolished Gaumont cinema in Birmingham for my 10th birthday (the same place that three years later I would see the trailer for Revenge of the Jedi, before they changed the title). Empire is still my favourite of any of the films.

Can't remember. Most likely it was a new hope, rented VHS i dare to imagine, early 80's.
    A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker

Siddhartha Gautama.

Watching Star wars in the theatre in 1977.

Well, not exactly as I already had a few action figures by then, but basically that.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

Spectacular Member

my dad had a vhs tape of Episode 5 and the rest they say is history.

As someone who grew up in the 90s, it was ever present for me. I can't really remember the first time I watched Star Wars, I just knew my Dad had them on VHS (along with all the Star Trek movies) and they were brought out frequently. I was probably very young because I remember having Star Wars themed parties in Kindergarten.

Star Wars in '77.

Spectacular Member

My uncle rented The Phantom Menace on VHS when my family and I stayed over, so I'm guessing that would have been late 1999. The only part I specifically remember is the podrace. The first one I remember watching completely is Episode 5, my parents bought the collector's edition VHS set sometime around 2000.

iMan 42s

I saw The Phantom Menace in theaters when I was really young, and despite not being old enough to remember any details I remembered the duels with Darth Maul, the Gungan underwater ship/chase sequence, the droid army on Naboo, and the starfighter stuff towards the end of the film.

For all the crap TPM gets and to a degree rightfully so, it was memorable enough for me and I couldn't remember any details.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.