Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The action figures, and the promotional posters and hype around the first film.

My first two action figures were C-3PO and R5-D4 (I thought I was getting R2-D2).

I tried watching the first movie on a scrambled HBO channel and could hear the sound but only caught brief glimpses and weird, multi-colored multi-images that would make Kirby and Ditko proud.
    And I saw, like, five seconds of Empire Strikes Back as my parents drove by a drive-in one night.

I read the comics first before I ever got to see the movies when they finally played on the networks.
    "The definition of all ages is its not just for little kids." - Greg Goldstein, President of IDW.
    Currently reading: Doom Patrol, Micronauts, ROM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

The first few people who replied with the Episode IV initial release are all close in age to me… which means yes, I too watched it then.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 fanatic, Avatar-maker, SHSO player, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

I honestly can't remember. There's no time in my memory in which I didn't know of Star Wars. If I had to guess, my first exposure would have had to have been a recorded version of the 1984 CBS network tv premiere of the movie we had, but when I actually first saw it is out of memory. All I can do is the math and assume it was when I was around 3.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

I want to say that it was seeing A New Hope on VHS, but it could've been reading and listening to the book-and-tapes of A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. My memories of that time are a little scrambled.

I saw the special editions of the movies in the theaters when they were released in the 90s, which I would say was a pretty good way to experience them. I was 7 when they were released and with the internet still a fairly foreign concept to me at the time I didn't know about the changes(not that they stuck out to me at that age anyway) and I got to watch them without knowing a thing about them beforehand.

Hoo boy, my first exposure? Well, my earliest SW memory was watching the pre-Special Edition Empire Strikes Back VHS tape with my dad.
    My Pull List: Ms. Marvel, Champions, & Secret Warriors

My dad took me to see Empire Strikes Back in the cinema. That's a pretty dark movie for a little kid.
    "For ten dollars Jason Statham will f*** an explosion in slow motion while a Slayer song plays in the background." - Patton Oswalt

I think I saw A New Hope, and then I got the PC game of The Phantom Menace.
    "Live a poem... or die a fool!"

I was not all that interested at first. I had the orig trig but I was not one to get thrown into a franchise and was just looking for some good action movies. Man was I wrong back then.

Oh and I am from the VHS era. Man what a time.
    Last edited by AJpyro; 05-16-2017 at 10:07 AM.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

BANNED

My parents say they took me to ''The Return of The Jedi'' when it was in theathers around here back then at the late 80s when i was 4 or something but i don't remember anything and i had a R2D2 figure when i was 5 or something like that.

But my first true exposure to the saga that i remember was when i was 8 or 9 at the early 90s when i was at 2nd or 3rd grade. I watched episode 4,5 and 6 back to back in 3 weeks or something like that on tv, they showed an episode of the original saga each week for three weeks and i'm a fan ever since. I remember talking to my friend about Star Wars at 2nd or 3rd grade, my first Star Wars conversations i was like '' why the Darth Vader can't quit dark side ? it doesn't make sense, if i was vader, i would be like i'm no long in the dark side and get out of the dark side just like that, it's easy'' and my friend was like '' yeah '' and totally approved my point of view lol we were good friends.
    Last edited by Batarang; 05-17-2017 at 01:37 AM.

I remember, i was a little kid and my parents sat me down to watch the original film. My mother spoiled the big twist about Luke's dad the moment Vader walked on Princess Leia's ship.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    I remember, i was a little kid and my parents sat me down to watch the original film. My mother spoiled the big twist about Luke's dad the moment Vader walked on Princess Leia's ship.
    Oh man, that is messed up
    Im Mary Poppins, yall.---Yondu

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

"I am a mad man with a box!"---The Doctor

"Man wants to punch a beehive, let him punch a beehive"---Mark Waid

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

All-New Member

I was 8 years old and went with the family to see Return of the Jedi on the big screen at the Civic theatre in Auckland in 83, and been a fan ever since.

Fun fact: The interior of the Civic was used by Peter Jackson in his remake of King Kong as the theatre building in New York where Kong is revealed to the public.
    It wasn't cutting it as a movie theatre so was redesigned for live stage productions. PJ digitally added more seating, but other than that, that is how it looks inside.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Oh man, that is messed up
    My Uncle David spoiled it for me as he bought me the Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader action figures (Kenner) for THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, but I didn't believe him. Uncle David could be quite the troll. Therefore, when my dad took me to see the movie at the theater a week later, I was still surprised because Uncle David hadn't been pulling my leg after all.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Star Wars I on the N64, the pod racing game.