Default Post-Byrne Era Discussion Thread

I was extremely disappointed to learn that DC cancelled the Man of Tomorrow collection, which would have collected the post-Byrne stuff. I find the post-Byrne, pre-Death era the best Superman era besides the Silver Age years (58-68). I think it's a big shame they've cancelled this, but it got me thinking about that era of Superman, and I was wondering what others thought about those comics. In particular, I think Stern did an incredible job.

Spectacular Member

Didn't know they'd cancelled that...that stinks. It would have been nice to get that last bit in to connect the Man of Steel trades to the Exile trade. Though, they did seem to be soliciting it as a hardcover, which made no sense.

1989-92 had some really great stuff, and some key moments in Superman history. I hate that it's all out of print, even in trade (except for Panic in the Sky).

Clem Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar

I'm not a fan, but I did think it was better than the Byrne Era.

Stern was easily doing the best on the character during those days. While not a fan of those stories, I always appreciated how well crafted his issues were.
    First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice

It's disappointing to hear. I wasn't getting it anytime soon, since my issues are all pristine, but I'd champion them to the death. The Byrne era hit a few high notes with the Legends crossover and Gang War, but that roughly 50 months between the execution and Doomsday was for my money, the best of Superman. I wanna come up with a good list later, but off the top of my head I was always most fond of stories like Krisis and the Plastic Man team up.

What a fleet of underrated, classy superhero artists. Guice, Swan, Ordway, Gammill, Grummett, Jurgens, McLeod, Bog, Dwyer, Janke... I wish my guy Barreto got in on a little more of that but hey. Also cool guests like Mignola, Giffen, and Perez.

Okay, so some background: I take pride as a 90s kid for withstanding all of what the decade threw at me. Made me hardy with weird stuff. I wasn't a collector, but I got what the corner stores had when I could. In 1994 and 1995, my mom worked in an antique store, where I received my first consecutive comics.

Along with the Gerard Jones GL and the '80s Cap Atom, I got the Action post Exile issues up to the Brainiac trilogy, Gammill's early issues on Superman, and some of Ordway's comics leading up to Exile. This was a little before the cartoon so aside from earlier memories of the Reeve films, the Genesis Death and Return game, and a few action figures, this was all the Superman I knew. Even as I got into comics hardcore as a teen and abandoned all but the 70s stories, in the back of my mind Superman was really the guy as drawn by Kerry Gammill.

As an adult, I knocked out all those back issues. Among my re-reads within the past year I had a great time with the Parasite story from Adventures, the Death of Luthor storyline as it led into the Cerberus stuff from Man of Steel, the stretch from Action #655 through Time and Time Again, For Earth, and the Jurgens comics that came shortly after the original Hank Henshaw story.

Two projects I have: I've been thinking about an Intergang appreciation for a long time, but I really want to have a greatly insightful post to open it. And I'm organizing my issues to binge read post crisis from the 25th anniversary of Superman #75 up to the 80th anniversary/Action #1000, mostly following along with the '86 to '99 blog.

Fantastic Member

I was upset too with the book cancellation as I wanted to rid of the corresponding single issues and others have mentioned the older tpb's are out of print but I've managed the get a hold of them with careful browsing while hitting the conventions.

From what I have there's Exile, Eradication, Krisis Of The Krimson Kryptonite, Tim And Time Again but back then DC had the stupid habit of trimming a page or two in the collections if it wasn't relevant to the storyline.

Fantastic Member

For real? Wow, that's a real bummer. Wonder if they will resolicit it later.

Man of Steel #1 thru Funeral for a Friend is when I bought and read every Superman title and really wanted this collection as well. I feel the main problem was they made it an overpriced HC instead of an economical 12 issue paperback like the various Batbooks that have been doing so well.

The 90's interlocked these characters (Batman and Superman titles) so much that reprints basically require reading orders. Another hope is that DC will put the books out digitally and you can flip from series to series yourself but as of this moment Action Comics and Detective Comics have been left grossly unfinished post crisis. The holes in those digital runs leave many stories broken.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    I was upset too with the book cancellation as I wanted to rid of the corresponding single issues and others have mentioned the older tpb's are out of print but I've managed the get a hold of them with careful browsing while hitting the conventions.

From what I have there's Exile, Eradication, Krisis Of The Krimson Kryptonite, Tim And Time Again but back then DC had the stupid habit of trimming a page or two in the collections if it wasn't relevant to the storyline.
    DC still has that habit, apparently. I've seen it referenced in a couple of places that some things were missing from the Man of Steel trade series (most notably the "Metropolis 900 Miles" Luthor story).

I wouldn't think it would be that hard to just do straight reprints of the issues, but apparently it is. Though, with the new Panic in the Sky trade, they included both the page created for the original trade to cap the story and the original pages that started the next arc, plus the next arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Man of Steel #1 thru Funeral for a Friend is when I bought and read every Superman title and really wanted this collection as well. I feel the main problem was they made it an overpriced HC instead of an economical 12 issue paperback like the various Batbooks that have been doing so well.

The 90's interlocked these characters (Batman and Superman titles) so much that reprints basically require reading orders. Another hope is that DC will put the books out digitally and you can flip from series to series yourself but as of this moment Action Comics and Detective Comics have been left grossly unfinished post crisis. The holes in those digital runs leave many stories broken.
    That's what I liked about these trades - they were putting things in reading order.
    Last edited by Truman Burbank; 05-19-2017 at 08:52 AM.

I was wondering if this collection had been cancelled or not. I had the book on my wishlist on Amazon. Along with Batman and the Outsiders hardcover. Bummer.

From the jump, I wish DC was more generous with trade size. Paperbacks with 16-19 stories each, like the epic collections from Marvel. Man of Steel could have been five trades and saved on production some, and people probably wouldn't mind buying more of say, Exile (with its backups), if it's thrown into a comprehensive trade.

Exile was such an amazing story. The gladiator cover from the annual is still easy to pull up in my head, beard and war staff in hand. Hopefully the collection is rethought as a fat trade. This period really was the high water mark for the Superman line.

Yeah I was disappointed with the cancellation of the Man of Tomorrow vol1. I was looking forward to sitting down and reading everything from Man of Steel to the end of Jurgens Superman run. I've never read all of the issues from the pre-death of Superman era, but at least I am only missing about 30 of the individual issues at this point, it just would have been more convenient to read it though trades. Are there any story lines I should read in the individual issues of the Bryne era that have been cut from the Man of Steel series? I am on vol 3 at the moment. And why can't DC reprint Man of Steel vol 4!

Fantastic Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

To me it's still amazing how virtually all the major stories from that era lead into Death/Funeral/Return, whether intentional or not. As someone who was (and still is) a huge Superman fan at the time and was reading everything, I just felt like they really rewarded the fans by doing that.