Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bruce knows has class privilege, which is why he spends so much of his money on Gotham and being Batman instead of using it for his own pleasure.

Out of all his kids, his wealth and way of life were probably more apparent to Jason who used to be white trash (I'm not American, I don't know if that's the correct term) grew up in poverty, suffered physical, emotional (probably sexual) abuse. Jason believes he knows the real under Gotham better than Bruce because he grew up among the desperate criminals Batman fights every night.

From an in-universe perspective, Bruce Wayne is a posterboy for trickle-down economics.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batdog?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Mighty Member

Considering Bruce is big on philanthropy and using his money to help others even if it's not an explicit view of his privilege in a social commentary sense it's pretty clear he knows and contemplates about his privilege on some level.

Bruce contemplates justice. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by willtupper View Post
    I think the case could be made that all of his actions as Batman is the main way he addresses his privilege.

If you haven't read it, Herman Hesse's 1922 novel Siddhartha looks at the life of someone born into relentless privilege.

Until he discovers the world outside the kingdom walls is not quite like he imagined.

So, you know. He renounces all worldly pleasures, and dedicates himself to attaining enlightenment for himself, and then the rest of the world.

Sound somewhat sort-of similar to a certain caped-and-cowled avenger of evil?

Also, it's not directly about his life of privilege, but Devin Grayson's Gotham Knights #32 story, "Batman 24/7" shows Bruce addressing his privilege in the world somewhat (it's also one of the best Batman comics ever, and well worth tracking down).
    I absolutely love that novel and plotted a Batman story loosely tracking the concept. But not so much centered on wealth, rather on Bruce trying to find peace, learning a new lesson at each stage of his young pre-Bat life, but knowing that each stage is an incomplete part of the "home" he's looking for.

Amazing Member

The problem with Bruce giving money to charity is the same problem in reality, it won't fix much. There is also the fact that most charities don't give away all the money they get. People needed to be paid for marketing, administration duties and so on to run a charity. Sometimes a good chunk of that money goes to them rightly or wrongly. Its documented enough Bruce and his family do a lot of making sure charity works by building hospitals, libraries, schools and giving grants. Yet, Even then Bruce can't give people universal healthcare which people need. Bruce being Batman in a city as corrupt and utterly insane as Gotham, is his good deed. Honestly, out of all the rich single orphan kids, I have less of a problem with Bruce and really even Ollie who ran for Mayor as I do for Tony Stark who was/is/will one day again be a weapons dealer for some kind.

Astonishing Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Considering all the money he gives to charities and reform causes, jobs he gives to reformed criminals, and devoting his entire life to protecting people from all walks of like (and is honestly shown protecting/saving the average Gotham citizen of middle class or lower status instead of other rich people)...I'm gonna go with "yep."

''I shall become a bat.'' masahikotahara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    you know being a white male/billionaire american

has he ever wrestled with it, or interrogated his privilege, has their ever been a comic where he wonders if he "deserves" the wealth he got?
    I do remember Bruce being thankful for the means (to fight his battle) his parents left him when they died.
    Visit my website: http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com for a timeline of Batman comics from Batman: Year One to Flashpoint,
    The New 52 and Rebirth!

CANON! CHRONOLOGY! READING ORDER!

...AND MORE...