Spectacular Member ComicBookNoob's Avatar

Question Are Hellina, Lady Death, or Red Sonja worth the read?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a good series or blood and guts fighting that's woman lead, and maybe some fantasy added into it as well. I've seen these comics (and I feel like they might just be popular for their sexiness/sex scenes/nude covers) and I've been wondering if anyone can tell me if they are worth the read? I'm not totally tied to these series, I'd be open to other series you guys have in mind. They don't have to be woman lead but I thought it'd be cool to read about a woman who's strong and is just an overall bad ass. I'm looking for something that has a little bit of history and will give me a good chunk to read, if it's short then I'm looking for one hell of a good story haha. But yeah, if I could get some opinions on Hellina, Lady Death, and Red Sonja then that'd be great. Thanks
    Check out my blog: http://comicbuffet.blogspot.com/

Favorite DC Heroes: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood, Green Arrow, The Ray
    Favorite Marvel Heroes: Daredevil, Spider-man, X-23, Iron Man, Iron Heart
    Currently Reading: Robin Vol 4, Iron Man, Teen Titans, Titans, Justice League of America Vol 5, Champions Vol 2, Invincible Iron Man Vol 3, Frank Miller's Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookNoob View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a good series or blood and guts fighting that's woman lead, and maybe some fantasy added into it as well. I've seen these comics (and I feel like they might just be popular for their sexiness/sex scenes/nude covers) and I've been wondering if anyone can tell me if they are worth the read? I'm not totally tied to these series, I'd be open to other series you guys have in mind. They don't have to be woman lead but I thought it'd be cool to read about a woman who's strong and is just an overall bad ass. I'm looking for something that has a little bit of history and will give me a good chunk to read, if it's short then I'm looking for one hell of a good story haha. But yeah, if I could get some opinions on Hellina, Lady Death, and Red Sonja then that'd be great. Thanks

Its not fantasy, but Copperhead by Image has a strong female lead. She does her fair share of ass kicking in the series but it isn't the main focus like it wold be in Red Sonya.

And the first two trades can be found for very cheap in the US.

Astonishing Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'd recommend Witchblade to you. There are 175 issues and a few spinoffs, lots of lore, history is involved(liberties taken where needed for story) and should keep you busy.
    I've read small parts of Red Sonja and Lady Death and neither has ever grabbed me as compelling. I've never attempted Hellina.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Witchblade is worth a read. Especially the Ron Marz era, which is 70+ issues. In fact id recommend the Top Cow universe in general. Theres some good stuff to be found.

Red Sonja has its ups and downs, but id recommend the Mike Carey and Gail Simone runs.

Maybe look into Aspens stuff. Both Fathom and Soulfire have quite the backlogue now.

Lady Mechanika is a fun book with fairly nice/intricate art. Theres a few minis to that now.

Gold Digger is 200+ issues of kickass. And a load of it is available digitally for free on the publishers site.

Whilst im not much of a fan of Zenescopes output, Pat Shands work on Robyn Hood was really enjoyable.

Assuming youre not that set on the cheesecake factor, Image have a load of great female lead action/fantasy titles; Lazarus, Black Magik, Motor Crush, Bitch Planet, Revival, Monstress...

And Heathen from Vault Comics is a great series that often slips under the radar. Lesbian Viking self-discovery awesomness. Only a few issues in.
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 05-17-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    Currently Reading:
    Avengers by Busiek & Perez
    Monster by Naoki Urasawa

I second Witchblade.

Red Sonja is awesome too for fantasy. Dynamite's Red Sonja: She Devil With a Sword is good reading and about 80 issues long. I think it breaks for Queen Sonja, but I haven't read that series yet.

Hack/Slash from Devil's Due Publishing continuing into the Image series has an awesome female lead and great story with horror, supernatural, and humor.
    image Birthright, Black Monday Murders, Black Road, Black Science, Copperhead, Deadly Class, Descender, East of West, Eclipse, Elephantmen, Extremity, The Fix, Green Valley, Horizon, Kill or Be Killed, Lazarus, Low, Moonshine, Monstress, No Mercy, Old Guard, Outcast, Paper Girls, Postal, Rose, Saga, Seven to Eternity, Sex Criminals, Shutter, Southern Bastards, Southern Cross, They're Not Like Us, Wayward, Wicked + Divine

I second Fathom from Aspen comics.
    Brexit now!

Astonishing Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I will also second Lady Mechanika. I didn't mention it cause there are less than 20 total issues over a few mini-series but it is an enjoyable title.

Also, why it didn't occur to me earlier: Ghost from Dark Horse
    She has about 60+ issues over two volumes from the 90's and a few years back.
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 05-17-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I'm going to add my two cents alongside those who have recommended Witchblade.

A few months ago I picked up an Humble Bundle of Image/Top Cow material and there was a decent chunk of Witchblade in it. For the longest time I had avoided that series due to outward appearances of perhaps being too reliant on the sexiness angle. But the writing, character-building, and sense of lore proved me wrong by being much better than I expected; and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

I'll also add that Ghost is worth looking into. In addition to the early material that Captain Craig mentioned, there are about five newer trades from the series reboot that Dark Horse did just a few years ago. So that adds up to decent body of reading material if you go that direction.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Dr. Who: The Tenth Doctor, Gotham Academy, Hellboy/BPRD, Mae, Monstress, Motor Girl, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Ok, cool I'll definetly check out Dynamite's Red Sonja and Witchblade. I've read some Witchblade comics before so it should be good, plus there's been an anime based on it that I've been wanting to check out. Lady Mechanika and Fathom also look like some good reads so those might be some back up series for me, or I'll check out some more reviews and see if I go with those instead. I'd love to head some story recommendations for Red Sonja or Witchblade. I'm also still open to some other series' recommendations if you guys have more

Currently Reading: Robin Vol 4, Iron Man, Teen Titans, Titans, Justice League of America Vol 5, Champions Vol 2, Invincible Iron Man Vol 3, Frank Miller's Daredevil

The more recent Aphrodite IX/IXth Generation series from Top Cow was great. The Witchblade has something of an appearence in that.
    But yeah, id recommend the whole Artifacts era of Top Cow; Marz' Witchblade, Hesters Darkness, Magdalena, Angelus, Artifacts, First Born etc...
    Currently Reading:
    Avengers by Busiek & Perez
    Monster by Naoki Urasawa

This thread is my wheelhouse!

Limiting myself to your specific topic titles,

I've read Hellina and did not think it was very good -- however, Boundless makes another title that I like a lot called Belladonna which fits your description.

Belladonna0-reg_large.jpg

The current run of Red Sonja is great. She is temporarily transported from her time and place to modern day NYC and kicks ass.

TNRSvol404CovFIncen10CosplayV.jpg

I tried the current run of Lady Death, but did not like it...

In addition to what everyone else just listed (most of which I've tried lately), you should take a look at Arhian. It was awesome.

3b7c6f291b7dfa1178a15c1e81b3b331._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Just to make sure you know this, in movie terms Boundless comics are rated X. The rest I mentioned are rated R.

If you have any questions or want me to talk about stuff that is not currently being released, I can go older too.

Quote Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
    This thread is my wheelhouse!

Limiting myself to your specific topic titles,

I've read Hellina and did not think it was very good -- however, Boundless makes another title that I like a lot called Belladonna which fits your description.

Belladonna0-reg_large.jpg

The current run of Red Sonja is great. She is temporarily transported from her time and place to modern day NYC and kicks ass.

TNRSvol404CovFIncen10CosplayV.jpg

I tried the current run of Lady Death, but did not like it...

In addition to what everyone else just listed (most of which I've tried lately), you should take a look at Arhian. It was awesome.

3b7c6f291b7dfa1178a15c1e81b3b331._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Just to make sure you know this, in movie terms Boundless comics are rated X. The rest I mentioned are rated R.

If you have any questions or want me to talk about stuff that is not currently being released, I can go older too.
    Yeah, I've read Costa's Belladonna and that's what originally made me want to read some more badass women centric stories, my only complaint was that the Gyspy's stories in the back took up more space and story than the actual Belladonna story.

I think I will read some of Red Sonja's older stories, the NYC one started out ok but I feel like there's some history I'm missing out o haha.

Arhian cover looks dope, never heard of it though so might have to research a little. But thanks for the suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookNoob View Post
    Yeah, I've read Costa's Belladonna and that's what originally made me want to read some more badass women centric stories, my only complaint was that the Gyspy's stories in the back took up more space and story than the actual Belladonna story.

I think I will read some of Red Sonja's older stories, the NYC one started out ok but I feel like there's some history I'm missing out o haha.

Arhian cover looks dope, never heard of it though so might have to research a little. But thanks for the suggestion

No problem. You can buy Arhian physical or digital from the publisher here https://arhcomix.com/shop/arhian-comix-1-of-5/

I've read most of what everyone else posted and while many of them are great (I especially like Robyn Hood, Lazarus, Lady Mechanika, Fathom) none of them have the gore factor you said you were looking for.

So let me know what you think!