Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Secret Empire #2 Review/SPOILERS

All right, things were looking bad for the heroes of the MU last issue. But is there a light at the end of the tunnel in issue #2?

Short answer: yes.

Slightly longer answer: HELL YES!!

***SPOILERS BELOW****

In the wake of the Vegas attack, the superheroes are more demoralized than ever.

Inside NYC, the heroes stranded within the darkhold bubble are trying to keep themselves and innocent civilians alive.

In a very, very cool bit we see that Dagger is helping to bring light to the city, illuminating it under her own power. Of course, this puts a tremendous strain on her and she is able to do it less and less each time so finding a way to get the city out of the darkhold is imperative. While the heroes do all they can, Wilson Fisk is doing what he can to turn the situation to his advantage, providing much needed medical supplies and so on to frightened civilians with the request that when the city is in the light again that everyone remember who it was who helped them.

In the heroes' hidden HQ The Mount, Tony and Natasha are at odds with how to deal with Steve. Nat wants to flat out kill him. Tony, however, has the recording that Rick was able to pass on. In it, he's recorded a message that lays out what happened to Steve - the cosmic cube, all of it. And Rick says that if the fragments of the cube can be gathered, then there might be a way out of this without killing Steve.

Nat still is unmoved. She insists that if the real Steve knew what he'd turned into that he would be the first to say he should be put down. She takes off on her own while Tony and Clint assemble a team to help them search for the fragments. That team includes Scott Lang, Hercules, Mockingbird, and Quicksilver.

Meanwhile, the Champions have hooked up with Nat to do what they can. Miles says that he's tired of running from the vision Ulysses showed him. He's not looking to kill Steve but he needs to see whatever this is through. And Viv, Riri, Amadeus, Nadia, and the new Falcon are all sticking with Miles, come what may.

In Montana, A.I. Tony's team arrives at a bar looking for a contact in the underground to help them get out of the country. That contact is Sam Wilson.

Finally, in a wooded area, three members of the Serpent Society chase a lone woman. As they catch up to their prey and begin to beat her, a figure appears to make quick work of all three supervillains and then reaches a hand down to pull the woman to her feet.

She asks who he is - and we see a blond, bearded figure standing before her who answers "My name is Steve Rogers. I'm just trying to get home."

TO BE CONTINUED!!

***END SPOILERS***

The questions posed by the last page here will have to answered another day (as there's no location given for where it takes place, one could theorize that it's within Steve's mind) but clearly we see that there is a heroic version of Steve ready to fight. How this is, what that means for Hydra Cap, we don't know yet.

This was a very strong issue overall. Sorrentino's art is superlative, of course (the two page spread where Rick fills in the heroes on what's happened is a jaw-dropper). Lots of big moments throughout. Rick Jones' videotaped message, with not just the nuts and bolts of what's happened but a message of hope as well. A great Nat/Clint encounter, Tony's unwillingness to give up on Steve, Nat taking on the Champions as her new proteges ("Welcome to the Red Room."), Hercules' excitement at the prospect of a quest ("A grand and glorious quest, like in the old ages! My friends, this will be magnificent!") and of course that last page shocker.

I'm a little bummed that we didn't get any Daredevil here. I really wanted to see what he's up to in the darkhold bubble (especially as he's on the cover) and there's no sign of the Hydra Avengers, which is also another slight bummer because I want to see as much of that team as we can before this is all over but there's a lot of story to get to and this issue represents a huge turning point.

Obviously it's too soon to know how things will turn around by the end of the story but with this issue, we get our first real, albeit mysterious, taste of hope.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 05-17-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Loved that Wilson Fisk scene. Even during the apocalypse, Fisk won't past up opportunities to make sure people are indebted to him.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Loved that Wilson Fisk scene. Even during the apocalypse, Fisk won't past up opportunities to make sure people are indebted to him.
    Yep......classic Fisk move, all right; but it's still 'his' city as he's concerned......

The last page, however, really threw another unexpected twist into what's currently happening within the SECRET EMPIRE.....!!

Man this event never goes on like I suspect it will.
    Didn't see that last page reveal coming at all as I suspect no one did.
    I am however not sure I like it much. I don't want to see the new Rogers being the real deal, beating up Hydra Cap and that is the end of it.
    I want Hydra Cap to be the real deal. This could rob him of his depth.

That said I'll if course first see were this is going before I judge it. Loved the ongoing interaction between Tasha and Clint. I knew this romance would not last long and I am fine with it as well.

What's interesting, no matter their motivations, now we have the idealistic Youngsters being on the Kill Crew while it's the Veterans who actually play Super Heroes.
    I hope that will be brought up at some point.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Mass Effect: Ranking the Squad Members

I don't think Spencer is backing out of Hydra Cap being the real Steve Rogers, this guy has some caveat to him.

My suspicion is that
    spoilers:
    Not-Hydra Cap at the end is a fragment of the Cosmic Cube gone separately sentient from Kobik.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    I don't think Spencer is backing out of Hydra Cap being the real Steve Rogers, this guy has some caveat to him.
    Yeah, I don't think this is going to be as simple as good Steve shows up to kick Hydra Steve's ass.

I do wonder whether the last scene is somewhere in Hydra Cap's mind and good Steve is trying to fight his way back.

Hopefully next issue will offer some more clues.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    My suspicion is that
    spoilers:
    Not-Hydra Cap at the end is a fragment of the Cosmic Cube gone separately sentient from Kobik.
    end of spoilers
    Whooaaaaaa...!!! Eeeerriiiieeeeeeee.....and somehow, it make an unbelievable amount of sense in this type of fashion; considering all that's been happening with prior and current within SECRET EMPIRE.

Looks likes here's another mystery for the readers to endure.....

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    My suspicion is that
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    I have a feeling that's not the case but we'll see. Anything's possible!

Astonishing Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Hope someone is willing to help me out who those serpent members were.
    Stop complaining and start dancing

Good issue all seems very dark and hopeless until we see the last page.

I do not know what is happening to the heroes acting with Steve Avengers but by the words of Pietro probably Wanda and the others are not doing it of their own accord.

Once again, I love just how much depth is packed into this one issue, as well as setting up some of the one-shots. It looked to me like one of the places where the Cosmic Cube fragment was is with Namor, so that's how he factors into everything.

And yeah, I think that cliffhanger ending works very well. Very interested to see what this ends up becoming, I'm with the people believing this is all inside his mind, especially considering Hydra Cap has been talking to Zemo how he's starting to "get softer" now, so it could be that side trying to come back out. Not sure how I feel if it turns out to be the actual Steve Rogers so we get Cap Vs. Cap, but we'll just have to see. Either way, I'm still very intrigued
    Current Reading List: Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic Universe, Spider-Gwen, Unbelievable Gwenpool, Hawkeye, Hulk, U.S.Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man, Secret Empire, Secret Warriors, I Am Groot
    DC: Green Lanterns, Batgirl, Batman, Superman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Hope someone is willing to help me out who those serpent members were.
    I do recognized Two of the three who were shown and they are spoilers:
    Cottonmouth & Bushmaster
    end of spoilers.

I really see only 2 scenario

1) bearded Steve is an internal representation of the man that he used to be/we're seeing his mental landscape (hence the presence of his old foes the Serpent Society)

or

2) when Kobik "fixed" him, she really split him in two

I see these as the two scenario because Spencer promised that it would be the real Steve and that he wasn't being mind-controlled.
    Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Because its fun, not as fun as the liberal meltdown but close
    11/10/2016

Amazing Member

I have a gut feeling that this is William Burnside...the 1950s Captain America and later the Grand Master...the leader of a neo-Nazi organization.
    He had plastic surgery to look like Steve Rogers...called himself Steve Rogers and is quite insane. I had the feeling this was a switcheroo that would show that this wasn't a clone, alternate reality or brainwashing of Captain America....because it wasn't him at all. Switched out by a "Cap" that would do all of this stuff.