Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Question to those who loved X-Men Apocalypse.

Do you feel vindicated by the imdb score that rates it at 7.1.

I personally did not like the film, for me it was mediocre for x-men standards but I remember when the film was release there was sufficient amount of people that loved the film and defended it. so after a year , do you think the film not diving under a 7 on imdb was a form of exoneration . also what do you think about a movie that scored a 48% on rt but has a 7.1 on imdb, which is usually a rare. to a movie like captain america 1 that has an 80% on rt but a 6.9 on imdb.

in fact x-men, dofp and apocalypse if you want to look at it as trilogy is the best rated trilogy of all marvel movies on imdb including the mcu beating at the three captain america movies. that rates 6.9. 7.8 and 7.9. to X-Men 8.0, 7.8 and 7.1.

So to those that loved apocalypse do you think the critics were way to harsh?

I also what to taken into account how most of you here said the movie was better than x-men 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Selina View Post
    Do you feel vindicated by the imdb score that rates it at 7.1.
    I find caring about IMDB or Rotten tomato or similar scores a completely alien idea, and do not understand why people do it.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

I pay attention to RT but I don't start a fire if they score a movie I liked lower than I feel it should be. I enjoyed Apocalypse... it doesn't sniff Days of Future Past. A 7.1 is fair to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I find caring about IMDB or Rotten tomato or similar scores a completely alien idea, and do not understand why people do it.
    well I realised both data and concept are very flawed..

a person can vote on imdb with mutilpe accounts. the owner of umdb said the scores are not reliable fans of a particular director can inflate the score...see the nolanites and I am one but not even I pretend nolan is a god,nolan has his fault. the female driven movies or movies with female writers tend to rate lower on imdb.

RT is not the blame as what they do is gather critics writing but what happens when critics shows constant bias. this is why I never used either of them instead I rely on hard evidence and storng opinions from a person to convince me why a movie is good or bad or better than the other

the word for apcoalysoe was mixed at best but critics may have been harsh. I wonder why.hmm.

I preferred X3 but from what I see here, all of you prefer apocalypse. so the rt score should have reflected that too. but X3 is rated 10% higher. so a mass disagreement there.

this is why I resoect x-men movies more, their novies have to work hard to get good reviews, mcu movies doesnt as we see wioth caotian america 1m which is one of the most absent movies in marvel.

Here's the thing...

Critics are biased against films that are not particularily good or enjoyable. That means X3 and Apocalypse both. I am amazed that rate higher than 6. Then again, frelling Transformersalso has a 7.1, which tells you all you need to know about the usefulnes of that score.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

It is a good question about comparing Rotten Tomatoes "scores" with IMDB user ratings. The problem with IMDB is that any troll can rate something whatever they want without giving any kind of good reasons or having their name and career tied to their reasons and their score publicly you know? Plus one person can (shock) create multiple IMDB accounts and keep rating something over and over again. It is a lot more abusable. That said, i agree that critics bow to public pressure and moods, and they don't want to alienate or offend their readers too much, so they have been tending to give Disney/MCU films higher scores than really warranted.

I am not a "lover" of Apocalypse the movie but I liked it and think it's a very good movie. I would give it anywhere between 6 to 8 out of 10. So 6/7/8 are all a good range for the film I think. I know we had a poll on this forum when it came out and people were giving it 0's, 1's, 2's, 3's. Like seriously???? Some people are completely BLINDED by their hatred because their fave character wasn't given a perfect role.
    Chris Claremont, Peter David, Mike Carey, Cullen Bunn = canon. Others = fanfic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    It is a good question about comparing Rotten Tomatoes "scores" with IMDB user ratings. The problem with IMDB is that any troll can rate something whatever they want without giving any kind of good reasons or having their name and career tied to their reasons and their score publicly you know? Plus one person can (shock) create multiple IMDB accounts and keep rating something over and over again. It is a lot more abusable. That said, i agree that critics bow to public pressure and moods, and they don't want to alienate or offend their readers too much, so they have been tending to give Disney/MCU films higher scores than really warranted.

I am not a "lover" of Apocalypse the movie but I liked it and think it's a very good movie. I would give it anywhere between 6 to 8 out of 10. So 6/7/8 are all a good range for the film I think. I know we had a poll on this forum when it came out and people were giving it 0's, 1's, 2's, 3's. Like seriously???? Some people are completely BLINDED by their hatred because their fave character wasn't given a perfect role.
    people still say superman returns is the worst singer cbm but the filn has a 76% on rt and a 72/100 on metacritic beating out the winter solider. what apocalypse proved to me is that the bias is real because when you break down the facts, it does not add up.

if apocalypse was judge as a mcu movie the rt score will be 79-83% at least and the imdb rating will still be in the 7.1-7.3..

I think apocalypse is even rated higher than the thor movies on imdb and those are freshes on rt.hmm....interesting.
    I don't see as much hate for apocalypse as I see with X3 or Iron Man 3 but RT is not reflecting it,.
    Last edited by Selina; 05-17-2017 at 11:24 AM.

No, because I literally couldn't care less about reviews, or box office, and I don't need outside opinions to validate my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise408 View Post
    No, because I literally couldn't care less about reviews, or box office, and I don't need outside opinions to validate my own.
    People use those outside opinions to determine if they should spend the money and more importantly the time viewing the film. I've skipped movies due to really bad reviews because as a husband and father in a family of 6 my time is worth more doing something else in that case. I'm thankful for the reviews.

I rented XM:A and watched it just a few months ago due to the bad reviews and I don't have any regrets not seeing it in theater and thanks to the reviews for that. It wasn't good but I've had to curb my expectations of Singer's X-Men films years ago so I wasn't expecting much.

No, I'm not a child who needs to feel validated.

(I totally am)
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 05-17-2017 at 11:47 AM.

If it's a property I care about I am essentially indifferent to reviews. If I want to see something I will see it. I'll only check reviews afterword to see what other people are saying about it and maybe look for ideas and perspectives I hadn't considered.

To my untrained critic eye, objectively X:A is not a GREAT movie. It tap dances somewhere between average and ok/good. Other films in the franchise have been better.

As an X-Fan, I enjoyed it a lot, or rather specific portions of it. I've never been much for J. Law as Mystique and I'm way over the Xavier<>Magneto stuff. Really I enjoyed the young X-Men and what they did with them in the movie was enough to make me want more. So in effect, X:A is one of my favorite X-films, flaws and all, as it's the nature of fandom to latch on to things you like and ignore/discount the rest as best you can.

Slow day, Selina?
    "Cría cuervos y te sacarán los ojos."

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

The thing that bugs me is not so much people caring about reviews and everything but people who like start to EQUATE box office (or sales totals for comic books) with QUALITY of the art itself. That is where it crosses the line for me and just becomes absolutely crazy. I can read a review of something and agree or disagree, think the reviewer missed certain things or comes from a certain PoV different from my own, etc etc etc. But the actual financial results are much more objective and non-debateable. So when people pretend those financial results EQUAL artistic "quality" it drives me bonkers. I think every school should mandate some kind of philosophy of art class so people understand AESTHETICS ARE SUBJECTIVE.
    Chris Claremont, Peter David, Mike Carey, Cullen Bunn = canon. Others = fanfic.

Mighty Member

I think Magneto and Quicksilver stole the show again and by the responses in YouTube, Amazon, and the like...90% of those watched it agree with that train of thought.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    The thing that bugs me is not so much people caring about reviews and everything but people who like start to EQUATE box office (or sales totals for comic books) with QUALITY of the art itself. That is where it crosses the line for me and just becomes absolutely crazy. I can read a review of something and agree or disagree, think the reviewer missed certain things or comes from a certain PoV different from my own, etc etc etc. But the actual financial results are much more objective and non-debateable. So when people pretend those financial results EQUAL artistic "quality" it drives me bonkers. I think every school should mandate some kind of philosophy of art class so people understand AESTHETICS ARE SUBJECTIVE.
    true, especially when you have disney running things. reviews and box office become meaningless on a debate of substance. since disney has a great pr and their box office is achieved because of kids and toys. nothing wrong there but that is not who x-men appeals to.

I mean look at how much disney protected cars 2, which was arguably the first bad pixar animation. I don't think dream works even has that power to protect their own bad animation.

How can we trust in reviews 100% when some writes this

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...528755&page=17

scroll down to user Consona. who attached one of the reviews on rt about gotg vol 2.