Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default What do you expect from Captain Marvel's MCU origin?

It's no secret that Captain Marvel's origin in the comics is as convoluted as all get-out. The movies are jumping straight to Carol Danvers, whitch is good in my opinion. I just don't see how her origin fits into the movies. I see two possibilities. 1) Some crazy Maximoff-like origin during infinity war or 2) Make Mar-Vell secretly her biological father. I like the second one, originally she got powers when aliens fuse her DNA to his (I think) so it's not a stretch imo. The only issue I see with that is that this movie is apparently supposed to be a big feminist win, so I don't know how people would feel about her getting powers from a male father figure. (Please don't get mad if I mischaracterized feminism, I'm a guy and I acknowledge that I don't know a lot about this). Personally I just think that if you're going to give her the code name Marvel and the superpowers, connecting her to a historic character like Mar Vell would be logical. But that's just my opinion

If her movie is an origin story, I would expect something to do with experimental space flight, an alien abduction, and some kind of genetic manipulation.

Considering that Mar-Vell hasn't really been around in 20+ years, I don't think Marvel is going to leap at the chance to put him front and center in this film. I suspect that Carol Danvers will be a character who stands on her own completely.

I suspect they're going to keep it simple.

[paraphrased from Wikipedia]

Carol Danvers is an alias. She is Captain Mar-Vell of the Kree Imperial Militia, who is sent to observe the planet Earth as it is playing with superpowers, Infinity Stones, and getting attention of the likes of Thanos and Ego. Mar-Vell eventually wearies of her superiors' malign intent and allies herself with Earth, and the Kree Empire brands her a traitor. From then on, Mar-Vell fights to protect Earth from all threats.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post

Carol Danvers is an alias. She is Captain Mar-Vell of the Kree Imperial Militia, who is sent to observe the planet Earth as it is playing with superpowers, Infinity Stones, and getting attention of the likes of Thanos and Ego. Mar-Vell eventually wearies of her superiors' malign intent and allies herself with Earth, and the Kree Empire brands her a traitor. From then on, Mar-Vell fights to protect Earth from all threats.
    That is a little too much like just gender swapping Mar-Vell.

Mar-Vell secretly being Carol's dad is too similar to Star-Lord as well.

I'm not sure how they are going to do her origin and not go into Green Lantern or Buck Rodgers/Farscape territory. Perhaps Carol is part of a government experiment with Kree technology that grants her powers.

This will definitely be a Carol movie but I wouldn't completely rule out Mar-Vell make an appearance in a supporting role or just a cameo. When Marvel has done legacy heroes they still find ways to include the original heroes somewhere (Hank Pym & Janet, original Guardians Of The Galaxy, human Jarvis, ect).
    Last edited by chamber-music; 05-18-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post

Err... Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Err... Are you serious?
    That's Mar-vell's origin, not Carol's.

My guess is... they'll keep her as a member of the United States military. I don't think they'll leave that out.

Military and aliens. Everything they need is already well-established in the MCU. The specific weirdness of the psyche-magnetron isn't necessary. All that really matters is, "alien stuff happens" - and they've got plenty of avenues they can take there.

The one thing I expect to not see is Mar-Vell.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    The one thing I expect to not see is Mar-Vell.
    Yeah, I'm kinda leaning this way as well.

Or at least, if he is in it, it's either a cameo or a small nod.

I think they will keep her a normal human who is a member of the military. She will get her powers somehow from the Kree tech that is on Earth. They have shown on Agents of SHIELD that they had a lot of Kree tech and even Kree bodies that they were studying and experimenting with. Carol being human and in the military is a key part of her character these days so there is no way they are making her and alien.

Mighty Member

Carol will be the first and only Captain Marvel. Mar-Vell and the Kree have nothing to do with her origin at all. She will get her powers from an Infinity Stone.

Carol will follow a mysterious stranger into an abandoned subway tunnel where an old wizard will give her the magic word "negabands" which will grant her the power to convert her body into pure energy.

This is a tough one, because not a whole lot of the original source material is going to be all that useful.

We do have a few Kree elements from Agents of SHIELD which can potentially factor into her origin. I even wonder if the finale of Agents of SHIELD won't somehow be tied to Carol (the other obvious tie in being the Inhumans).

She could be an Inhuman. Or maybe she could get her powers from an Infinity Stone somehow... I think I recall reading on the net somewhere that she might be the most powerful super hero in the MCU.

Either way I guess the upside as a movie fan is that I literally won't know what to expect when I go see the movie. Not sure what she is, what she'll do, or who she'll fight because so much of the comic stuff might not work.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Pilot Carol finds kree artifact on earth that gives her super powers of a kree superhuman she'll never meet.

Fantastic Member

Maybe an accident caused by trying to combine earth tech and kree tech left over from the incident in order to make a stronger fighter plane, high ranking Air Force pilot Carol Danvers experiences an accident during flight when the tech doesn't mesh well together or something leaving her with powers

Astonishing Member

Yeah, given how the MCU revolves around those stones, and how several characters get their powers from them, it would make sense for her to get her powers from one.

Moonstone would seem like the obvious choice for a villain if that happens.