Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Nicholas Hammond Spider-Man Series In Worst Live-Action Comic Book TV Show List

Never heard of this? Consider that a good thing.
    In the late '70s, Marvel partnered with MGM to make a live-action CBS series out of its flagship star but tripped up due to the low-budget of television at the time and poor writing that strayed so far from the character's comic origins that it led to even Stan Lee complaining the show was too juvenile.

In the lead role of Peter Parker/Spider-Man, the show's producers cast Nicholas Hammond, one of the young boys from The Sound of Music 12 years earlier. The show pitted Spider-Man against plain-clothes threats instead of his familiar rogues gallery, with him fighting everything from a new age guru to a cavalcade of thieves in all shapes and sizes. To top it all off, Aunt May was played by a different actress each time she appeared in the series and neither of Peter's prominent love interests - Gwen Stacy or Mary Jane Watson - were a part of the series.

That Parker Luck.
    http://www.newsarama.com/15448-10-wo...l-time.html#s7

I remember when this used to scare the pants off of me...my very hazy memories of it are confined to tv reruns of the feature length episodes and VHS tapes, so the bit about the multiple Aunt May actresses is an amusing detail.

What say you lot?

At least it sort of gave us a live-action Ben Reily episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

I remember when this used to scare the pants off of me...my very hazy memories of it are confined to tv reruns of the feature length episodes and VHS tapes, so the bit about the multiple Aunt May actresses is an amusing detail.

What say you lot?

Well I haven't watched it since it originally aired; I was a young teen at the time and was super-excited to see my favorite comic book hero on TV and it was.....crushingly disappointing. It wasn't even just the low-budget that doomed this show; it was awful in every way possible. Wooden acting, practically nonexistent scripts or direction of any kind and a show that had very little to do with Spider-Man. The 1966 animated series was light years better.
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

Was one of the episodes centered on Spider-Man foiling a plot by Ock to use mind control devoices hidden in corporate logo pins? I remember that.

A part of me will always cherish it, having seen it on Sci-Fi (?) as a very small kid. A live action Spider-Man was a very exciting thing, so I'm going to give it more credit than I should. But really, I think 40 years from now the superhero shows out these days will have aged pretty terribly and look just as bad. With soundtracks that don't groove a fraction as hard.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Was one of the episodes centered on Spider-Man foiling a plot by Ock to use mind control devoices hidden in corporate logo pins? I remember that.
    That was the pilot episode I think...though I don't think any Spidey villains from the comics appeared in it. Same with The Incredible Hulk really, it took until the TV Movies for any other Marvel character to appear in that like Thor, Daredevil and Kingpin

Apparently one idea for a Hulk TV Movie was to do a Spider-Man crossover, and Hammond would have reprised his role. Nothing came of it as Bill Bixby sadly died.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 05-18-2017 at 06:14 AM.

Astonishing Member

Well, first off it has to be said that every list Newsarama runs is absolutely terrible. Their writers suck.

As for the quality of the Hammond Spidey, objectively speaking, yeah, it's not good. I was a kid when it first aired and outside of the excitement of seeing Spidey in live action (not counting his Electric Company appearances), no one I knew back then didn't think it fell short of the mark. Even '70s kids, who were pretty forgiving of cheesiness, couldn't help busting on the clunky web-shooters and thick, clothesline webbing.

Then you have to look at the fact that Uncle Ben plays no part in Spidey's origin, the fact that the foes he fights are all garden variety goons and mobsters (even if the budget and technical limitations of the time didn't allow for the likes of Doc Ock and the Goblin, there's enough street level guys in Spidey's rogue gallery to have brought some classic characters, like Kingpin, the Big Man, and Crime Master, onto the show), and I don't think Spidey makes a single wisecrack throughout the entire series so there's no trace of his trademark humor.

On the plus side, Hammond looked like a Romita Sr illustration come to life. He was, appearance wise, pretty perfect. Also, the wall-crawling effects were pretty neat.

For all its faults, the Hammond Spidey was the only live action version of the character for a long, long time. And, as such, has a nostalgic pull for a couple of generations of Spidey fans. It'll never be a good show but it will always be a fondly remembered one.

That was the pilot episode I think...though I don't think any Spidey villains from the comics appeared in it. Same with The Incredible Hulk really, it took until the TV Movies for any other Marvel character to appear in that like Thor, Daredevil and Kingpin

Apparently one idea for a Hulk TV Movie was to do a Spider-Man crossover, and Hammond would have reprised his role. Nothing came of it as Bill Bixby sadly died.

Yes, but I think the Hulk '70's TV show worked just fine without supervillains. (Arguably, I think his comic can and has worked well without any supervillains, especially over the past 10-15 years). Spider-Man, on the other hand, really is at least partially defined by his villains and certainly his origin; the Hammond TV show was 0 for 2 there. Still, as some of the more street-level Spidey books have proved, you can tell a compelling story without supervillains but this show wasn't the way to go about it.....
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

Hmm... the only other thing I remember was a villain who figured out Spidey's identity by cloning him and then looking at the clone.... that was one of those things that just made me scratch my head as a kid.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Yes, but I think the Hulk '70's TV show worked just fine without supervillains..
    I agree, and Jack McGee was a compelling foil without any powers. He'd have been the perfect apprentice for Jonah in another life.

Astonishing Member

What say you lot?

That list is garbage and the writer lost any credibility he might have had when he put Batman on it.

That being said, the 70's Spider Man show is very much a product of its time with low budget SFX and the
    lack of costumed villains.

You might get an Alien or a Robot or maybe even an Alien Robot but never a costumed Super-villain.

The main thing I remember about the 70's Spider Man show was that the costume for Spider Man they used on Kids show The Electric Company look way better.

BANNED

My dad used to tape these for me (on Beta!) when they aired late nights, probably after the series had run its course in the early / mid 80's (they aired on something called Nite Owl Theater).

Look, it was no masterpiece, and the episodes were often quite boring and would often put me to sleep. As a young kid, I didn't really understand the plots that well. There were no costumed villains either.

But for a period-specific Spider-Man TV series, with the budget and effects limitations of the time, it could've been a lot worse.

I watched the pilot on You Tube again a year or so ago, and was struck by how pulled into it I got. And how they got a majority of the details from the comics correct (Bugle, powers, origin, Aunt May). Bonus: Hammond was Peter as an early-20's, college undergrad at best. He wasn't a young teen. That's one place where they deviated from Lee / Ditko, but a welcome change for a live-action show. They even did a Spider-clone episode.

Plus, I love the 70's music in the series. Very funky and orchestrated.

I heard talk from Hammond years later that there were plans for a crossover with the Bill Bixby Hulk TV series, where Spider-Man would have featured in the black costume, that sadly never materialized.
    Last edited by Metamorphosis; 05-18-2017 at 12:01 PM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

For a TV series about Spider-Man, it didn't feature enough Spider-Man.

The Japanese SPIDER-MAN show did it much better; as could be expected, they did it KAMEN RIDER-style.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

No Mary Jane or Gwen, it was a bevy of lady reporter love interests instead.

No Glory Grant, but an expy of her of sorts (I think her name was Rita on the show?).

I remember the actor they had for J Jonah Jameson was pretty good.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    That list is garbage and the writer lost any credibility he might have had when he put Batman on it.
    I really think they need to do these lists from scratch, not update them every few months. They always have comments from years ago that no longer match the content (for example, a list of heroes that need to be in the MCU had comments mentioning Luke Cage, who used to be in the list but no longer as he has a TV show).

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    For a TV series about Spider-Man, it didn't feature enough Spider-Man.

The Japanese SPIDER-MAN show did it much better; as could be expected, they did it KAMEN RIDER-style.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    He has a giant robo. He's basically a solo Power Ranger... indeed, PR's source material Super Sentai introduced robos because it worked so well here.

No surprise there, it's poorly thought out as a whole.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Please turn off your ad block, ads accompanying my videos are how I earn money