View Poll Results: Is Wolverine a misogynist?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 31.94%
  • No

49 68.06%
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    I seached for it but there is no information on the subject of Wolverine being bisexual. His son Daken is officialy bisexual but there is nothing offical for Wolverine or i couldn't find any statement from Claremont.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he was bi since Claremont had a few in his stories. I noticed that he also liked pairing older men with younger women but that's a whole different conversation.
    "Read anything I write for the pleasure of reading it. Whatever else you find will be the measure of what you brought..." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Logan should date/hang out with women his age.

That wouldn't be creepy at all.
    Macking on the 112 year old Jamaican granny who can still crack jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Wolverine is only bi in Claremont's head, as for anything that actually made it into the comics he's fully straight. Apart from that Logan's never actually had any romantic feelings for any of the young ladies that he's taken under his wing unlike Xavier and Magneto did in similar situations in the normal 616 and AoA...
    thanks for the info. If he's not bisexual officialy, i don't think Marvel will make him one in the future even if Claremont wants that cause Wolverine is a very big character, him being bisexual officaly will probably turn off many fans unlike me, it doesn't matter to me. I support gay, bisexual people. But when i was seaching for if wolverine is officialy bisexual or not or Claremont's statement, i found many negative massages from fans who totally hate the idea of Wolverine being a bisexual so i don't think Marvel will ever take the risk of losing them and all.
    Bat-napped at young age

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if he was bi since Claremont had a few in his stories. I noticed that he also liked pairing older men with younger women but that's a whole different conversation.
    Who else besides Colossus and Kitty (not that there was that much of an age difference between them)?

Incredible Member

Misogyny is really not a black/white yes/no deal. Everyone has shades and different amounts/capabilities for it. It's just what happens in cultures where women face institutional discrimination.

So, yes, Wolverine is a misogynist. The question is more so in the realms of where does his misogyny lie. As far as I'm aware his Prime version has never been "Hank Pym" levels and certainly the character on the whole does not have some kind of endemic issue with mistreating women. It may merit some research into his treatment of different kinds of women, to analyse where he disproportionately treats certain women better than others, to see if there are more ingrained misogynistic traits in the character. This would include his lovers but also his plethora of young sidekicks and the women that he has killed. Are there key differences between who gets to be his wife, who gets to be his sidekick and who gets to die by his hand?

Now if we are to take a look at his wider context, talk about Wolverine as a construct, we'd have a much wider, more heated debate. In terms of how Wolverine is coded with masculine archetypes and whether creating characters that exist in such testosterone-totality is inherently misogynistic. I think there's an argument that an unquestioned portrayal of sheer masculinity could certainly be problematic; as Wolverine would be, in a way, making assertions on the role and nature of Man. Plenty of cultural theorists have written about the "just vengeance" narratives that find themselves surrounding masculinity and the animalistic codes of Logan throughout his history would tie into a lot of what's been written about representations of masculinity also.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Especially the fact that Claremont's original endgoal (before the marvelous idea of Kitty & Rachel) was Kitty and Gambit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Don't let them? I can't control what people say. Besides, faggot doesn't bother me. I'm a faggot, so what? I couldn't care less. It's just a word. It's actually a great word. Very fun to say, and quite sexy in the bedroom. Like I said before, context is important. My friends only use it playfully or as a general insult. Many people find it offensive(understandably), which is why we use it between ourselves.
    I obviously don't mean literally policing what others say. But letting them know the harmful history behind the word and educating them on why people find offense in it is my definition of "not letting them".

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    As a Claremont confirmed bisexual I would argue Logan's allowed to tease Frank on coming out. He's practially flirting with him there. :3
    Logan's the most bisexual man I know. Guess he gets a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя₯ Tycon View Post
    I obviously don't mean literally policing what others say. But letting them know the harmful history behind the word and educating them on why people find offense in it is my definition of "not letting them".
    Uh...what is punching someone for saying "nigga" (after a courteous first-warning, of course) if not "policing what they say"?
    "Crνa cuervos y te sacarαn los ojos."

Incredible Member

I'm not sure where this rumor of Kitty and Gambit came from, links to interviews or something? Claremonts orginal idea for Gambit was he wasn't going to be 'real'. He did mention that he thought Wolverine was an 'any port in a storm' type of guy.

Mighty Member

Don't blame Wolverine, he was born and raised in 19th century Alberta. Alberta is the Texas of Canada.

Seriously though, Wolverine is kinda of a jerk, but ultimately he means well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    This is really reaching. If Wolverine didn't think being a 'whore' was bad he wouldn't have used it to insult Mystique like that.
    First off Mystique is a separate scene and has nothing to do with the Stacy X scene. In the Stacy X scene, he clearly is using the term to tell Stacy to be who she wants not what others expect.

Second, he didn't use whore to insult Mystique. He said that she was a lot of things and many of those things applied to Wolverine as well. Wolverine has been a thief, an assassin, a backstabber, a betrayer, a whore, etc. But just like Mystique, he is not a coward.

So you are inferring that he was using it as an insult when one could easily read that scene as him in some way comparing himself to Mystique. And when you combine it with the Stacy X scene, that seems more plausible as in both scenes Wolverine is essentially giving someone advice by invoking a comparison between himself and the person he is given advice to.
    Last edited by remydat; 05-18-2017 at 08:09 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

He called her a whore and a piss-poor mother. He was trying to get her angry because he wanted to kill her. He wasn't trying to give her life advice.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    I'm not sure where this rumor of Kitty and Gambit came from, links to interviews or something? Claremonts orginal idea for Gambit was he wasn't going to be 'real'. He did mention that he thought Wolverine was an 'any port in a storm' type of guy.
    http://www.xplainthexmen.com/2016/03...ris-claremont/

He brought up his plans for Kitty in the podcast. I recommend listening to the entire thing instead of skimming.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Uh...what is punching someone for saying "nigga" (after a courteous first-warning, of course) if not "policing what they say"?
    Can't enforce something if they dodge. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    Mystique's a better parent, though. She saved her daughter's life, he drowned his son in a puddle.
    Your opinion on the thread is obvious, but you need to take context of the situation when making an argument. If this thread keeps devolving then it's going to get shut down.
    Please bring back any Wolverine.

In our country, a guy with lots of girls somehown doesnt sound a bad thing, but more of something to boast or be proud of. But if a girl has even just two guys, it really sounds bad to the point that people would call them whores.
    "Lightning, deliver this place from darkness." - Storm in X-men TAS.

You should read The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl solo, X-men Gold, Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther solo, Black Panther And The Crew and Black Panther: World of Wakanda

"The Month of May is Ororo Munroe aka Storm Month"

Faves: Ororo Munroe aka Storm (Marvel), X (Dark Horse), Vincent Van Goat (Valiant), Superboy Prime (DC), Ingrid (Street Fighter), Celine Dion (Music)

Another one rides the bus Chia Head's Avatar

Ummm.... But Mystique tried to drown Kurt in a waterfall? Ahem.