Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Most upsetting moment for your favorite character.

There is always something that happens in comics with our faves, when we read a storyline and get pissed off or really unhappy. We think "Why? Why did they write this?" Some examples can include whole storylines.

Mighty Member Old School Ollie 1962's Avatar

The New 52 ruined Green Arrow. I hated the entire run. Rebirth restored my faith in DC. The death of Wolverine. Old Man Logan took away some of the hurt. Some.
    "And at the end. . .mankind's most terrifying realization is they did it all wrong from the beginning."

Ugh, too many characters I like end up as crisis fodder. Even if most come back eventually.

Anyway. I'll just say that Killing Joke was a bad day for Barbara Gordon. Good thing she had fan in the writers that were as pissed as the readers. Actually, all of the Batgirls tend do get it bad. I think the name is cursed or something.
    Last edited by JCAll; 05-18-2017 at 08:50 PM.

Are you starting a new comicbook website and need a whole bunch of new content really quick? Ease up on the new threads, lad!

Scarlet Witch - Avengers Disassembled.
    "Cría cuervos y te sacarán los ojos."

The tale of how Spider-Man made a deal with the devil to be single again.

And the tale of how Cassandra Cain, language-deficient vigilante whose stance on the no-kill rule make Batman look like a serial killer, overnight became a monologueing, Navajo-reading, murder-happy Bond villain who killed for reasons that she did not care one whit about as established in the arc just before that.

And the tales about how Green Lantern, the Flash, and Green Arrow all got relegated to second stringers at best because their silver age predecessors all started to come back to life like the most colourful zombie plague ever.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

Spectacular Member Sensational C's Avatar

Favorite character & most upsetting: She-Hulk #38 in the Peter David run would probably be She-Hulk's worst single panel moment which had Jen make an offensive joke.

Most upsetting: OMD for Spider-Man making a deal with Mephisto, especially after May and Ben we're reunited was disgusting.

Runner Up: Seeing Bruce willing to kill himself, and asking Hawkeye to be the one to kill him, in Civil War 2 after the 2 previous runs by Waid and Duggan had Bruce accepted Hulk as an incurable disease so he would live his Banner days building technological advancements instead of potential cures for himself, talking to and becoming partners for a short time with Doc Green (a Hulk personality) was depressing.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Hal Jordan's fall from grace and descent into madness after the destruction of Coast City. Even though said descent was retconned years later as the influence of Parallax on his mind, it hurt to see Hal go down such a dark road.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

The Daniel Way run on Deadpool, just about 95 to 99% of it.
    Current Pull: Deadpool, Ms. Marvel, Ultimates, USAvengers, Squirrel Girl, Jessica Jones.

Ultimate Member TheInvisibleMan's Avatar

when Jesse Custer saw Tulip and Cass making out after the Monument Valley battle

and Jesse realizing that Cass is an utter POS beyond redemption
    “If you listen to the fans, you’ll find yourself sitting with them”

- Joe Kuharich

I agree with Waypool sucking -badly. But I can easily not read that run on Deadpool, since it stays where it belongs -in 2007-2013. lol Except for ignorant people who don't know to leave Waypool there.

I would say the harder thing to avoid for Deadpool is Shiklah -or his relationship with her. The writers and editors love her character, and mentioned she'd be around and have stories with Deadpool for years to come because it's fun to mash them together, and they exist to make Wade unhappy. Plus they see Wade as the one who ruined their relationship. For me, she seemed like an abusive witch. So seeing Deadpool be so sprung on her, and running back to her later is sucks. Some Deadpool stuff I haven't even read because it seems like she's in it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    And the tale of how Cassandra Cain, language-deficient vigilante whose stance on the no-kill rule make Batman look like a serial killer, overnight became a monologueing, Navajo-reading, murder-happy Bond villain who killed for reasons that she did not care one whit about as established in the arc just before that.
    That's just part of the Batgirl curse. And let's complete the trifecta of suck with the story of Spoiler, who back when she was still Robin was kidnapped by supervillains, tortured half to death, and her doctor let her die on the operating table to teach Batman a lesson about endangering children. That got retconned hard, the retcon was stupid too, but at least she got to come back and become the third Batgirl out of the ordeal.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Under the Red Hood- turning a Hush moment into an arc, affecting a grounded character (Bats) with magic ( Lazarus pit), at the same time Marvel did the same story with Winter Soldier, only it was great

PunisherMax by Jason Aaron- the writer of the masterpiece Scalped ruining a great run from Garth Ennis

Radar Sense Bitches !! Matt Murdock's Swagger's Avatar

Daredevil "Born Again" story line....my man Matt was put through the wringer !!

BANNED

The Vision losing his personality and becoming a cold, distanced machine.
    Captain Britain losing his personality and becoming a cold, distanced Brittanic.
    Nightshade losing her personality and becoming a cold, distanced shadow of herself.
    Red Tornado losing his personality and becoming a cold, distanced machine.

Seriously, what writer thinks we want to read about characters without personality?