Default To a new Superman reader, what are the differences in rebirth, New 52 and before

I have only read a couple Supes books back during Krypton story years ago, liked them well enough.

What are the other incarnations like of Superman, New 52 and the Rebirth?

I saw a few new 52 issues and they were pure garbage to me for some reason vs. the early 2000 stuff

Do you happen to remember which you liked? Was it New Krypton you read?

Before the New 52 would have been that period. They'd given Superman a power jump over the '80s and '90s to start off the new millennium, and also brought back some stronger ties to Krypton. The main thrust of that period was to challenge who he was and what he meant to the world around him, but DC also had mega heavy action arcs and crossovers. It was creatively a little uneven, though.

The New 52 was largely a fresh start. Grant Morrison started off with a whole new Superman epic that included a new origin and first encounter with a number of popular villains. IMO the New 52 era depended largely on which writer and it more uneven than the decade before it. The main thrust was having a younger, arguably edgier Superman who was re-established for a new age as he learned the ropes. TBH, I'd check out Morrison's 19 issues and the Unchained story from Scott Snyder, then proceed with caution.

Rebirth goes back to a lot of what we had before the New 52. It's a continuation on the pre-52 story. The big thing is that now, Lois and Clark have a son. Cool stuff. Nothing hugely great yet, but very consistent.

Well, they've kind of blended the different incarnations into one new version with Superman Reborn. So if you like the stuff that came before the New 52, you may like the current stuff. It's basically a continuation where Superman and Lois are married with a son and the adventures continue. If you're looking for broad strokes for the different eras of Superman, to try out various things, here's a rough breakdown:

Golden Age
    Silver Age
    Bronze Age/Pre-Crisis
    Post Crisis
    New 52
    Reborn

I may have blended a few together there or made a distinction that can get grouped into something else. So those who know more about the breakdown can correct me.

Personally, I've found the new Reborn stuff to be really good. Some of the creative teams from before the new 52 are back writing Superman too. So if you're curious about delving back into Superman comics, you may like them.

Yeah it was New Krypton but I seem to like the whole Clark Kent thing and older school stuff where Supes is a beast and bad a**. The New 52 seemed to have none of that

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Yeah it was New Krypton but I seem to like the whole Clark Kent thing and older school stuff where Supes is a beast and bad a**. The New 52 seemed to have none of that
    Did you read Grant Morrison's Action Comics new 52 run? Sounds like what you are looking for. It's also a good story to introduce superman to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Did you read Grant Morrison's Action Comics new 52 run? Sounds like what you are looking for. It's also a good story to introduce superman to someone.

Read it today after posting. It was OK but man, Superman is not the Superman I knew. Seemed to be goofy teen who does not know what he wants and is always questioning himself.

I am not sure I even want to try the newest stuff if it is like that.

Read it today after posting. It was OK but man, Superman is not the Superman I knew. Seemed to be goofy teen who does not know what he wants and is always questioning himself.

I am not sure I even want to try the newest stuff if it is like that.
    Rebirth Superman is a more traditional take on Superman (except with the addition of a kid and bringing back the marriage to Lois). Superman by Tomasi/Gleason focuses on the family aspect while Action Comics by Jurgens is your more typical slug fest.

I believe volumes 1 and 2 for both are available to read on Hoopla Digital if your library supports it.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Batwoman, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Crosswind, Sacred Creatures, Astonishing X-Men, Defenders, Elektra, Gamora, Hawkeye, Secret Empire, Sam Wilson, Steve Rogers, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja, Nancy Drew

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Rebirth Superman is a more traditional take on Superman (except with the addition of a kid and bringing back the marriage to Lois). Superman by Tomasi/Gleason focuses on the family aspect while Action Comics by Jurgens is your more typical slug fest.

I believe volumes 1 and 2 for both are available to read on Hoopla Digital if your library supports it.
    I would be shorting myself if I did not read Action ans Superman new 52. Who knows I may end up liking it. I am going to knock those out and see what I think. My buddy has the digital's thank God. I am going to take advantage of a weekend off and lock myself in for a Superman romp lol

I can see what you mean, in that while I really appreciate much of what Morrison did, it sometimes felt like Spider-Man with the powers of Superman.

But I think you'll like Rebirth when you get around to it. These recent comics have been pretty much made for binge reading.

I would be shorting myself if I did not read Action ans Superman new 52. Who knows I may end up liking it. I am going to knock those out and see what I think. My buddy has the digital's thank God. I am going to take advantage of a weekend off and lock myself in for a Superman romp lol
    Action Comics new 52 is the better title and has more worthwile stories, especially when you get to the Greg Pak written issues. Superman on the other hand doesn't get good till Geoff Johns run. And then both books go into crossover mode with truth era, so you may need to look online for a guide to understand those books. Good luck man
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 05-20-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

In the New 52 era: Action was great, Superman was hit and miss.

In the Rebirth era: For 2016, Superman was great and Action was pretty bad. Currently, Superman is still good, if not too much focus on Jon for my liking, and Action started getting a lot better once the Reborn crossover hit, outside the occasional dated dialogue.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Mighty Member

Action last year was great IMO, a bit sluggish and unpolished, but still loads of fun, probably would have been better without the problematic hurdles of trying to fit characters into a world still reeling from the fall of it's existing Lois or Clark...but the Mxy subterfuge was a great mystery at the time, and Men of Steel is a blast to read with great interactions between Clark and Lex.

Trinity was solid too.

Ok finished off New 52, some ok, some not. So I'm at Rebirth 1 now. So the Superman I know from the 90's is alive?

Ok finished off New 52, some ok, some not. So I'm at Rebirth 1 now. So the Superman I know from the 90's is alive?
    Yes, he is.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Batwoman, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Crosswind, Sacred Creatures, Astonishing X-Men, Defenders, Elektra, Gamora, Hawkeye, Secret Empire, Sam Wilson, Steve Rogers, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja, Nancy Drew

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

He's the guy from the 90s, but also the guy from the 2000s and New 52. Probably 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80's too if they play their cards right. You'll recognize him if you're familiar with the 90s, especially right now, but you'll notice some subtle differences as well where he'll have some attributes of other eras.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-21-2017 at 04:39 PM.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.