Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Yeah...I don't envision Peter Parker/Spider-Man as a dad either, at least if Marvel plans on continuing with his best-known characterization.

It works for Batman because with his Robins, he's long been a paternal figure already. It also works with Superman because even though he hasn't literally been a father until recently, he's long been portrayed as vaguely paternalistic. But that's not Flash or Spider-Man at all.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Seriously... wow. I never thought you would feel that way and have certain teenage heroes never growing up.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Then how would you describe a Flash themed "family" of speedsters ?
    More of a clan than a nuclear family.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Seriously... wow. I never thought you would feel that way and have certain teenage heroes never growing up.
    That's how he feels, but believe me, there are a lot of us who don't. I'm of the opinion that all teen heroes should be able to grow up, (Peter has age wise, but not maturity or relationship wise), and I am FIRMLY in the "One More Day is a piece of crap and Peter should be married with maybe a kid by now" camp.
    World's Biggest Cassandra Cain Fan

I don't have anything against Spidey or his family, and I'm ALL for the marriage returning again. But does growing up equal having a family?

It's a matter of personality. The way Superman and Batman have long been portrayed, it's rather easy to see fatherhood as an extension of their personalities. With Wally West, it's a harder sell. When Wally becomes a responsible dad, he loses many of the qualities that made him distinctly Wally West.

Sure, any of these characters can be portrayed as parents, but to do that effectively will require some compromise and sacrifice: certain personality characteristics that fans know and like will have to go away to accommodate parenthood.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    I don't have anything against Spidey or his family, and I'm ALL for the marriage returning again. But does growing up equal having a family?
    Definitely not. I don't plan on ever having kids. And that's a conversation that's always difficult with my GF But from my POV, characters like Wally (Post-Maturing) and Peter Parker seem the type who'd want kids.

It's a matter of personality. The way Superman and Batman have long been portrayed, it's rather easy to see fatherhood as an extension of their personalities. With Wally West, it's a harder sell. When Wally becomes a responsible dad, he loses many of the qualities that made him distinctly Wally West.

Sure, any of these characters can be portrayed as parents, but to do that effectively will require some compromise and sacrifice: certain personality characteristics that fans know and like will have to go away to accommodate parenthood.

You'd say parenthood suits Barry more than Wally?

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    You'd say parenthood suits Barry more than Wally?
    Yes, it does...based on how Barry guided Wally during his youth. We've seen Barry as a father figure, and it's consistent with his personality traits. To do that with Wally, it'd be necessary to remodel his personality in a manner that I doubt fans would embrace.

I think I've made this point once before, but I don't think Wally has to lose with Wallyness to be a good parent. It was just bad execution when actually done. As opposed to super strict Batdad, strict but loving Superdad, or "OHMYGODYOUAREMYENTIREWORLD" AKA Best Dad Roy Harper, I could see Wally as a fun parent whose really lenient with his kids, while also not giving them all his attention, mostly relying on Linda to be the strict one.

Ultimate Member

Yes, it does...based on how Barry guided Wally during his youth. We've seen Barry as a father figure, and it's consistent with his personality traits. To do that with Wally, it'd be necessary to remodel his personality in a manner that I doubt fans would embrace.

Yet you also said that despite Barry being a Parent to Wally he wasn't a good parent when it came to his own kids.

Yet you also said that despite Barry being a Parent to Wally he wasn't a good parent when it came to his own kids.
    I don't know how good a parent Barry would have been to Don and Dawn, but the fact is he wasn't there...and couldn't be because he was, well, DEAD (or at least, trapped in the Speed Force).

What is odd is that Barry didn't seek them out after returning, but then again, he was barely back in the physical realm before FLASHPOINT occurred and probably removed Don and Dawn from the timeline.

As far as I know XS still exists so you would think her mom Dawn would still exist in some way, but then again Bart is not around so that could mean Don doesn't exist. It is very confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    As far as I know XS still exists so you would think her mom Dawn would still exist in some way, but then again Bart is not around so that could mean Don doesn't exist. It is very confusing.
    I don't think any of Barry's immediate relatives/offsprings will show up until he and Iris start being a thing officially.

Why do everyone think heroes HAVE TO get married? In modern age, marriage isn't a big deal like it used to, why not keep Linda and Wally as life partners instead of rushing to wedding bells? It bugs me so much.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.
    Last edited by Waterfall; 05-19-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Incredible Member

They're currently slowly exploring the idea of Barry Allen as a father-like figure in The Flash. Why do the exact same thing with Wally?

Wasn't the whole point that Wally West was the cooler, younger, more care-free Flash?

What would the kids even do anyway? What comic would they appear in?