Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mighty Thor #19 - Spoilers

#19 To Face the Phoenix - Aaron, Dauterman, Schiti and Lopes

Gods are burning and Quire is firing his ‘psychic shotgun’. Jane finds herself in the White Hot Room of comics fame, face to face with an anthropomorphised Phoenix. Jane asks it to stop doing the bidding of the Shi’ar Gods. Phoenix says she is doing nobody’s bidding but offers Jane an end to her suffering by handing over Mjolnir over to it. Jane comes to realise it must be worried about the Mother of Storms and that she is still holding the hammer in the real world as Thor. She unleashes the storm, giving Quire an opening to have his own head-to-head with Phoenix, and make his own offer. Odinson arrives to join the fight and joins his own storm powers with Thor while Quire manifests the Phoenix force.

We cut to Omnipotence City with Sharra & K’ythri being knocked to the floor by Thor. Shadrack quells their protests, having them arrested and declaring himself God of Incense and Incarceration. Stating that he had learnt a few things from Gor under his breath. He confesses to Thor that the gods dispense poor justice and that they will only likely only be away for a few centuries. He muses that the Shi’ar need a new god and Quire gets self-conscious.

In Asgardia whiole the gods party, Cul insists that it is time for jane to handover her spot on the Congress of Worlds. Despite Volstagg’s protestations she agrees and nominates Roz Solomon to counter Cul’s choice of Sinthea Shmidt, daughter of the Red Skull.

Meanwhile Malekith stands with Loki in Muselheim, awaiting ‘The Queen’, while in the Shi’ar empire Quire is heralded as a god.
    Jane and Odinson stand outside Odin’s door as he beats upon it with Jarnbjorn in frustration, wanting to see his mother or receive news that she is alive. Jane tells him she has a story to tell him, and that he may need to sit down.

The Phoenix ponders greater things in the depths of space (including Jean Grey), as opposed to Quire who has just a small part of its power. It smiles knowing that ‘Gods would die’ and Thor will find her fate in flames. Meanwhile Mangog flies himself across the void towards the gods on a boulder, looking mean and determined to be the ‘ultimate judgement of all gods.’

Not sure why Dauterman had backup artists in this issue. Maybe there were just too many flowing lines to be drawn, with the Phoenix and the unleashed storm etc. Either way the art is pretty consistent. But it is difficult to stand next to Dauterman right now, his art is so phenomenal.

Aaron surprisingly takes a shortcut with Quire and gives him the Phoenix Force! Gives us lots more premonitions of Jane's death, and the coming of both The Queen of Cinders and Mangog. The final splash page of Mangog on a boulder, flying through space is quite impressive from Schiti and Lopes. The heavy inking is reminiscent of Kirby's treatment of the character.

All in all a satisfying conclusion to this story, which took a few twists and turns and promises much more to come.

Mighty Member

So couple of things:

This basically confirms that jane is strong than odinson considering he got completely rocked by the phoenix in AVX where as she was at least able to hold her own until odinson showed up

I'm a little confused about the quire bit. Like, the phoenix said it wasn't his time, but then he gets it anyways, and can control it just fine, and is the god of the shi-ar now...only, he's not, because the phoenix is still in space and he's in 2 other x-men books where he isn't the phoenix?...

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    So couple of things:

This basically confirms that jane is strong than odinson considering he got completely rocked by the phoenix in AVX where as she was at least able to hold her own until odinson showed up

I'm a little confused about the quire bit. Like, the phoenix said it wasn't his time, but then he gets it anyways, and can control it just fine, and is the god of the shi-ar now...only, he's not, because the phoenix is still in space and he's in 2 other x-men books where he isn't the phoenix?...
    I think Quire didn't merged with the Phoenix, like, if the Phoenix Force is a bonfire, Quire is a stick that was lit up on it. I'm curious of how they will deal with him on Generation X now, but not enough to read it.

I don't think Jane is more powerful than Odinson, the diference I believe is that he used Mjolnir as a weapon, Jane fights alongside Mjolnir, plus the Mother Storm probably likes her more. And in AvX the Phoenix was way more serious, she was coming to Earth and nothing was going to stop her. Now is more like she saw something and got a little intersted in it, but it wasn't her main goal like restoring mutantking was, so when Jane, Odinson and Quire started to resist her, she decided that it wasn't worthy the trouble.

But the main thing is, Odinson dated the Phoenix?
    Last edited by Ra-El; 05-19-2017 at 01:26 PM.

Mighty Member

"I don't think Jane is more powerful than Odinson, the diference I believe is that he used Mjolnir as a weapon, Jane fights alongside Mjolnir, plus the Mother Storm probably likes her more."

Isn't that the same thing as her being stronger than odinson? I mean, maybe not physically, but more powerful overall

Mighty Member

"I don't think Jane is more powerful than Odinson, the diference I believe is that he used Mjolnir as a weapon, Jane fights alongside Mjolnir, plus the Mother Storm probably likes her more."

Isn't that the same thing as her being stronger than odinson? I mean, maybe not physically, but more powerful overall
    That's kind of how I've taken Thor in comparison to Odinson. Odinson might be stronger physically, but Jane seems to have a greater connection to Mjolnir which would allow her to manipulate mjolnir power better and thus more powerful.

And eh, don't really care about odinson dating pheonix as I'm not reading the book for him.

What I'm wondering is with her stepping down, is that also a figurative sense on her essentially transferring Mjolnir to her in the future while she's dying. Because Thor is clearly continuing, the key question is will it be Jane or Shield lady lol.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    That's kind of how I've taken Thor in comparison to Odinson. Odinson might be stronger physically, but Jane seems to have a greater connection to Mjolnir which would allow her to manipulate mjolnir power better and thus more powerful.

And eh, don't really care about odinson dating pheonix as I'm not reading the book for him.

What I'm wondering is with her stepping down, is that also a figurative sense on her essentially transferring Mjolnir to her in the future while she's dying. Because Thor is clearly continuing, the key question is will it be Jane or Shield lady lol.
    Considering that we still don't even know what it is about Jane that makes her worthy, I'm not sure she could transfer Mjolnir to another even if she wanted to. They would still have to be worthy. Though given the ending, it does seem that she's going to finally reveal to Thor that she's the new Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Considering that we still don't even know what it is about Jane that makes her worthy, I'm not sure she could transfer Mjolnir to another even if she wanted to. They would still have to be worthy. Though given the ending, it does seem that she's going to finally reveal to Thor that she's the new Thor.
    I'm pretty sure she already did that in vol 1.

Amazing Member

It's stated by the Phoenix force itself near the end of the issue that Quire recieved only a tiny sliver of it's power at this time.

Yes, as I stated in my synopsis Quire only gets a small part of the Phoenix force, although a small fraction is hardly inconsiderable power. It will be interesting to see what plans are afoot for Quire. Not sure where the confusion lies. The Phoenix did a deal and agreed to stop fighting. It was genuinely concerned that Mother Storm was a match for it. As to Quire obtaining a portion of his destiny early, I expect at some point he will play host to the full force still.

Can we clarify that at no point does Jane suggest she is handing over her Thor legacy to Roz. It makes zero sense to read the scene in that way, especially as it was said in public to Cul, who is unaware Jane is Thor.

The way the fight transpires, the Phoenix is beaten back by Jane and Odinson, so there is nothing here to suggest that Thor is more powerful than Odinson was as Thor, especially as the battle was cut short by Quire. Also it is important to remember the Mother of Storms has never been this active before, and that is yet to be explained in the story. I believe there are twists in that tale.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 05-20-2017 at 01:09 AM.

I'm calling it now Jane is going to get a portion of the Hammer's Storm power becoming the Goddess of the Storm when they give the hammer back to Thor.

Also Kid Gladiator and Quire are just awesome love those 2

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    I'm calling it now Jane is going to get a portion of the Hammer's Storm power becoming the Goddess of the Storm when they give the hammer back to Thor.

Also Kid Gladiator and Quire are just awesome love those 2
    Well it would thematically match with Quire, so it does make sense.

Loved this issue. It combined the Phoenix and Thor, a combination I didn't know I wanted until I saw it. Liked how the Phoenix gave a nod to ongoing events in Jean Grey's solo series. Plus, Kid Omega brings some personality to any comic he's in.

Say what you will about Jane Foster. When she's in a cosmic fight, it's still a sight to behold. Definitely one of my favorite issues of this series to date.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my official publishing blog.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    It will be interesting to see what plans are afoot for Quire. Not sure where the confusion lies.
    The confusion stems from Quire being a main character in Gen X and doesn't appear to be serving as part of a cosmic pantheon in it.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    The confusion stems from Quire being a main character in Gen X and doesn't appear to be serving as part of a cosmic pantheon in it.
    Acting as Phoenix in a superhero capacity is not the same as being a cosmic entity. There has been plenty of precedence for that.