Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I guess I am fairly alone in my love for Dean Cain's Superman?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manda-Panda View Post
    I'd give Cain more credit for being the best Clark Kent portrayal and even there it'd be in competition with George Reeves. Cain never really had much opportunity to develop Superman the way most other Super actors have.

DCAU Superman is pretty cool. Of course Reeve's Superman. Cavill definitely looks the part, he can be charismatic, he was charming as hell in Man From Uncle, the writers just need to make his version stop being such a joyless mope. Then he can really shine.

My personal favorite is the Donner/Reeve Superman. That was my gateway into all things Superman. Few really drove home the difference between Clark and Superman like Reeve did. The movies are certainly dated and campy, but I still love them. Superman: The Movie and Superman II are great loves of mine. One of my all time favorite movie scenes is Superman crushing Zod's hand.

A close runner up is the Fleisher cartoons. I just love them. I'll also throw in on the Dean Cain/Lois and Clark support. I've had the good fortune to meet both Dean Cain and Brandon Routh, who were both super nice guys and incredibly fun to talk to. Knowing Cain is such a good guy and he did some of the best Clark Kent work out there really adds to my love of his contribution on the Superman mythos. Funny enough, both Cain and Routh asked me if I had met the other one, saying how nice their counterparts were.

Incredible Member

Nope...."Lois & Clark" is still one my favorites and favorite portrayals of the Lois/Clark dynamic.

Dean Cain's portrayal makes me very happy- he's the only version of Superman (or rather, Clark) who I could imagine going to a ball game and having a beer with me!

He's ludicrously underrated, and definitely resides in my top five.

That said, he's still got that weird thing going on where his Superman isn't as well developed as his Clark. Except for one or two episodes (A Bolt from the Blue comes to mind) the focus is naturally on Clark Kent. If Dean Cain's Clark turned into a Kal-El with the attitude of Daly's Superman (and maybe Collyer's voice), you'd pretty much have the perfect version of the character.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Fantastic Member

Dean Cain is a fave of mine, too. Definitely underrated.

There's not a live action Superman that I don't like, but what's odd is that I don't have a clear-cut #1 favorite. Each has their strengths, but also some weaknesses. I have yet to see my "ultimate" live action Superman but hope to do so in the next Superman TV show or movie.

Even though I have love for many versions of Superman, the #1 is beyond the shadow of a doubt George Reeves, especially in the first two seasons of the TV show. I love everything about him so much it's hard to know where to start. No one else combined "super"-ness, humanity, and personality so well and so seamlessly. He really felt like a full, living human being with a real personality, real emotions, real friendships, and even subtle depth - and yet none of this made him feel less "super". He's fairly close to being an "invincible hero" most of the time (not in a bad way IMO, just in a "true to the concept" way), yet he still often has to draw on his resources such as his cleverness, investigative reporting skills, and even sometimes his friends to "save the day", and it's very powerful whenever he's in a situation in which he finds himself vulnerable or frustrated, as he has a strong and believable emotional reaction. The way he handled the Clark Kent side of the character was particularly legendary to me. I understand to some, he might not be quite meek enough - heck, I don't even disagree. (Though it should be noted that, while this Clark can be assertive, he's still more rounded out and mild than some of the more overly assertive, totally non-meek interpretations of post-Crisis Clark - they don't outright discard the idea of him being cowardly, it's just downplayed and mostly manifests not so much in his demeanor, but just in incidents of him suddenly disappearing when there's danger...which, of course, he logically has to do!) But overall, I absolutely love the vision of Clark he presents because, more than any other version of the character, it helps me to admire Superman as a human being and not just someone who was born with amazing powers. Even in the "mild-mannered" version of himself where he doesn't show any great strength or engages directly or physically in situations, he's shown to be a hard-hitting, crime-busting reporter who's respected by and esteemed by his community. Perhaps most of all, he's a good friend and the kind of person you can trust and look to for help. His friendships and relationships with others - Perry White, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Inspector Henderson, and even one-off characters - has such a feeling of authenticity and depth with some great interplay and dialogue. Overall, the vision the series presents for the superhero's double life is just one of my favorite and perhaps lesser-seen takes on the trope, in which the two identities both work towards the same end of helping the community. Superpowers are one way to be a productive and helpful person, but in Clark's case, so is just doing his job and living his life. That's such a powerful vision because I think it makes the themes of Superman automatically more applicable to people's lives - because Clark is not just a cover for Superman, but he's also not just Superman living an unrelated private life merely for personal reasons. Rather, he is the manifestation of Superman in the life of a human being like all of us, with a job, responsibilities, friends, etc., and yet, he still is "super" because he focuses his life around improving his community and the lives of others. This makes me see that being "Superman" is not really a matter of being born with powers, but of the kind of person you are and the kind of life you choose to live.

Like I alluded to earlier, this is made all the more powerful because he really does feel like a human being with a fully fleshed-out personality and a wide range of emotions that are expressed incredibly well through Reeves' acting. He takes serious situations very seriously and even displays just enough of that aggressive "Golden Age edge" at times. Under more casual circumstances he's relaxed and very amicable, with a sense of humor. He displays a certain wit and whimsy and a "twinkle in his eye", as someone on the IMDb boards (we'll never know who since they're gone, boo hoo) once described it. Based on his interactions with others, Clark comes across to me as the kind of person who is good at making and maintaining friendships. He tends to have a clear-cut view of knowing what needs to be done and getting it done, without room for compromises or sometimes even what other people think or feel. Even though he doesn't brag, he actually seems to me to have a bit of an ego - I think he knows full well what a smart and competent investigator he is, and when he thinks he's right, he's not readily accepting of anything else (and he does, in fact, usually turn out to be right, of course!). And at all times, he seems to have a sense of dignity and is just the kind of person you're naturally drawn to respect. Overall, he's just this confident, friendly and admirable person that you might even want to be like yourself, and he maintains these traits across both of his identities. Yes, from some perspectives it's not necessarily a good thing for the two identities to be so similar, I don't disagree, but it also has a positive side of showing how he can be who he is both as a man and a superman.

What makes Reeves' Superman/Clark even more special, on top of all this, is the sense of depth created by the fact that the character isn't someone who's always in a content mood and can either power through or shrug off whatever situations he comes across, nor does he come across tough circumstance and then enter into a cliched, meaningless, and forgettable episode of sadness, moping and angst. At times, you see him when he's truly vulnerable and frustrated, when there's a situation he can't get through or his friends or some part of his own life is threatened, and for me these are some of the best moments in the entire series. Episodes like Panic in the Sky, Superman in Exile, and even The Stolen Costume with its controversial and somewhat scary ending are among the best the series has to offer for this reason. In addition, while it's somewhat difficult to capture, I feel there's a certain sense of somberness undergirding Clark's disposition deep down - that even though it seems like overall he's living a good life, the kind of life he wants to live, it isn't just pure contentment and happiness. It's so subtle that it's hard to express, but it's there, somewhere, and it just adds that extra layer of depth that seems to complete him as a character. And it just makes sense to me. He's fighting a never-ending battle against evil - for every criminal that he puts behind bars through either his reporting or his superheroics, there's bound to be another threatening that which is good. And while he has close friends, he has to keep a huge part of his life a secret from all of them, all the time. It just feels fitting to me that there should be a bit of dissatisfaction mixed with satisfaction in Superman's life, I guess. I don't want him to be openly angsty, mopey, or sorry for himself, but I also don't want him to just be blithely cruising through life without a care - and Reeves' version completely avoids both of these unwanted outcomes.

Yup, all things considered, George Reeves' Clark Kent/Superman can't be beat in my mind. He's not only my favorite version of Superman, but my favorite fictional character overall. However, there are plenty of other great versions of the character, of course. I definitely have a fondness for Dean Cain myself; while his Superman wasn't too fleshed out, as others have mentioned, his Clark is quite lovable, very human with a charming personality and great interactions with Lois. I love how he has a casual and relaxed personality in general, but his powers and super life creates awkwardness and tension for him sometimes. He's also super cute, haha.
    Last edited by TaliaJoy; 06-03-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Though I was still very young at the time, Reeve's Superman is what helped me to "get" the character. I actually started out liking Batman because of Michael Keaton and Superman looked cheesy and colorful by comparison, but the movies made it all more epic and cinematic than how Superman at least seemed to appear in the illustrations I had seen. Bear in mind, I was probably four or five years old at the time and had never read any comics.

Fleischer Superman and Donner Superman.
    Pull List: Superman, Action Comics, Batman,Titans, Flash, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Youngblood, Black Hammer

Wife's pull list: Wonder Woman