Default What are the things you find annoying with the direct market?

As the subject says, what are some of your annoyances with the direct market?

For, me one of my pet peeves is when creators and management bang the preorder drum and blame customers when a title is cancelled because they didn't preorder.

The problem (particularly with the big two) is you only get the title, names of the creative team, a short blurb and cover art. Sometimes, you don't even get cover art and on occasion, the creative team is TBA.

There are no previews during the preorder period (two months ahead of release) so it's difficult to make an informed decision if a book is something you would like. Heck, oftentimes, the preview is only released the day before the issue comes out.

Meanwhile, with movies, you get bombarded with various teasers and trailers months ahead of release to entice you to watch.

I would gladly preorder comic books. Just show me that it's worth preordering first. It can't be that hard to release a 2-3 page preview during the preorder period.

P.S. Image actually does release previews for new series in advance via their $1.99 Image Plus magazine. I've picked up some new titles based on previews I've read there.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Batwoman, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Crosswind, Sacred Creatures, Astonishing X-Men, Defenders, Elektra, Gamora, Hawkeye, Secret Empire, Sam Wilson, Steve Rogers, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja, Nancy Drew

Ultimate Member

I'm not sure my issue is with the direct market as much as it is with certain things that certain publishers do ( events, renumbering, overpricing etc).

Maybe an unfortunate side effect is that the Big 2 rely more and more on an ever shrinking audience that has an increasingly myopic view of comics that "matter" it makes it harder for them (the B2) to experiment with different titles. Heck some fans are even resentful when they do try.

Of course the other side is that some fans who would take a chance on new titles or characters find it difficult because of the fore mentioned events, tie-ins, etc.

The fact that it creates a barrier for new consumers, which then forces companies to pander to their existing audiences for sales. I also hate the fact that titles don't seem to get a chance anymore because as you stated in the OP, if they don't sell enough in pre orders two months ahead of release, they start making cancellation decisions before the first arc is even out. How can you know ANYTHING about the long term success of a title based on six issues?

The problem (particularly with the big two) is you only get the title, names of the creative team, a short blurb and cover art. Sometimes, you don't even get cover art and on occasion, the creative team is TBA.
    Even this wouldn't be that bad if cover art actually reflected what was going on in the comic. More than half the time it's just a pin-up shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm not sure my issue is with the direct market as much as it is with certain things that certain publishers do ( events, renumbering, overpricing etc).

Maybe an unfortunate side effect is that the Big 2 rely more and more on an ever shrinking audience that has an increasingly myopic view of comics that "matter" it makes it harder for them (the B2) to experiment with different titles. Heck some fans are even resentful when they do try.

Of course the other side is that some fans who would take a chance on new titles or characters find it difficult because of the fore mentioned events, tie-ins, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    The fact that it creates a barrier for new consumers, which then forces companies to pander to their existing audiences for sales. I also hate the fact that titles don't seem to get a chance anymore because as you stated in the OP, if they don't sell enough in pre orders two months ahead of release, they start making cancellation decisions before the first arc is even out. How can you know ANYTHING about the long term success of a title based on six issues?
    I actually had a post regarding this in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    I wouldn't mind a Saga-like schedule for characters that can't support their own ongoing. Release 4-6 issues of a complete story arc followed by a few months break with trade release before the next story arc begins. Then during that break, they can replace the "slot" used with another book.

Personally, having the trade available instead of needing to hunt down floppies is a huge enabler for me for picking up the floppies for the next story arc.
    I think that would be a mistake sadly with captain marvel/Carol Danvers and hawkeye/Kate bishop two great titles because I don't think I would be able to go a few months with no new issues, okay captain marvel isn't doing that great as a ongoing story wise since civil war ii ended but even the ultimates a team title she's in is suffering monthly to sell, and Kate bishops hawkeye solo is amazing yet it is struggling to sell monthly it's sad): I think I even recall seeing that infamous iron man is slowly starting to tank sell monthly as well as Jessica jones despite being written by bendis who usually makes the title sell.

Captain america Sam Wilson is even starting to struggle to sell but to be fair it's 21 issues in, and the the inhumans flagship title royals is only three issues but is already starting to tank in monthly sales as of issue two...and u.s.avengers a title I really love as well is also struggling to sell.
    That's kinda the problem when there are too many books and competition is stiff. People usually don't have unlimited budgets. Typically, the period when I sample new indies is when my Image books go on hiatus. If not a monthly story arc break+trade monthly story arc schedule, then perhaps a bimonthly release schedule.

There's a good reason DC cut down their main universe titles. Also, when DC Rebirth started it was a slow rollout of 26 new/replacement titles so customers aren't overwhelmed.

For Marvel, titles also regularly get sucked into an event with $5-6 main event books released 2-3 times a month spanning multiple months. No doubt that has also made people skittish about trying Marvel books. I was interested in getting Silk but I certainly didn't want to get all the female Spidey books (Spider-Women) nor all of the Spidey books (Clone Conspiracy).

I don't have that problem with Image. I Hate Fairyland doesn't cross over into The Walking Dead or Saga or Bitch Planet. Okay, it kinda did that for the FCBD 2017 one-shot and it was awesome but that's the exception, not the norm and a free promotional item at that (I would've gladly paid $5 for it). If I decide to buy Crosswind (Gail Simone/Cat Staggs), then that's all I need to buy. I don't have to worry about suddenly needing to buy five other event or crossover books dragging on for several months.

Events may subsidize creation of other books but caveat there is they're also starting to become a deterrent for people to try new Marvel books. Why try a new book when it's just gonna get derailed by event after event anyway?
    My observation:

Everyone seems to always be clamoring for their favorites to have ongoing monthly solos even if realistically, the market would have a hard time supporting it. Folks whose fave characters don't currently have an ongoing book are calling for the cancellation of low selling titles. Meanwhile, those whose books are in the danger zone are in the defensive (sometimes on offensive).

Personally, as someone with a limited budget, I appreciate that DC has a fairly lean line up for their "important" books. The team books for the Titans and Teen Titans both have sales levels that appear to be sustainable likely because there aren't 3+ different spinoff/solo books for each. Nice side effect, limited number of books that can be pulled into a xover/event as tie-in.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Batwoman, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Crosswind, Sacred Creatures, Astonishing X-Men, Defenders, Elektra, Gamora, Hawkeye, Secret Empire, Sam Wilson, Steve Rogers, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja, Nancy Drew

I don't think there is anything about the direct market that I don't find annoying.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?