View Poll Results: 10 Years Later, was the deal with Mephisto worth it?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 20.11%
  • No

147 79.89%
Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

What peter has gone through with mephisto wally has also gone through with Linda first via Abra kadabra which leads him to approach the spectre to fix his secret id issues which lead to wally himself forgetting he was the flash.Batman had to intervene to get him to remember. In the recent Spidey deadpool series deadpool had to intervene and save spideys soul from mephisto who intended to corrupt it by enticing him to commit murder. Perhaps further down the road Peter through time travel or mystical means may find that Mary or he himself was duped into the deal and at least stop himself from making the deal if not reinstating the marriage.
    The Self is the only existing reality

Fantastic Member

I voted No!

I loved the marriage with Mary Jane since first reading it back in 1987 when I was a teenager, and I am almost 46 now.
    It was the second thing that I liked most about Spider-Man comics after Peter Parker/Spider-Man himself.

I agree with all of Zeeguy's points.
    Last edited by Starrius; 07-16-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    What peter has gone through with mephisto wally has also gone through with Linda first via Abra kadabra which leads him to approach the spectre to fix his secret id issues which lead to wally himself forgetting he was the flash.Batman had to intervene to get him to remember. In the recent Spidey deadpool series deadpool had to intervene and save spideys soul from mephisto who intended to corrupt it by enticing him to commit murder. Perhaps further down the road Peter through time travel or mystical means may find that Mary or he himself was duped into the deal and at least stop himself from making the deal if not reinstating the marriage.
    have they done time travel type things in This book? Always associated clones with SM and time travel with DC - their heros are basically Demi gods a lot of time that do this stuff with about the effort involved in a bathroom break

What trips me up is figuring out how much time has passed in universe sense OMD

Fantastic Member

I love this. Great info
    The Beautiful Origin of Mary Jane and Peter Parker's Relationship
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xtzfzDkWzs

Gwen Stacy was Stan Lee's choice for Peter Parker's one true love
    Mary Jane Watson was the people's choice for Peter Parker's one true love

Mary Jane Watson is too iconic to be replaced as Peter's one true love.
    Last edited by Starrius; 07-16-2017 at 11:45 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    I love this. Great info
    The Beautiful Origin of Mary Jane and Peter Parker's Relationship
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xtzfzDkWzs

Gwen Stacy was Stan Lee's choice for Peter Parker's one true love
    Mary Jane Watson was the people's choice for Peter Parker's one true love

Mary Jane Watson is too iconic to be replaced as Peter's one true love.
    Great video. You can tell that YouTuber has quite a passion for comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Vixx View Post
    have they done time travel type things in This book? Always associated clones with SM and time travel with DC - their heros are basically Demi gods a lot of time that do this stuff with about the effort involved in a bathroom break

What trips me up is figuring out how much time has passed in universe sense OMD
    you are right that time travel is not explored much in spideys books it being the domain of Dr doom FF iron man and the avengers but then mysticism was also traditionally absent but then it started being used in increasing manner in storylines like the other OMD spiderverse etc. even spider island and clone conspiracy used it to a certain extent and so did Spider /deadpool series so it may be that in future perhaps time travel may be increasingly used. As to the time passed since OMDs occurrence the sliding timeline means its never too far in the past.
    The Self is the only existing reality

I voted no but I do have to say that I am really loving the Peter Parker stories we are getting right now. I hate how we got here but the current Slott run has been great in my opinion and is giving us a mature Peter that people seemed to be requesting for years. Zdarsky book is also off to a good start and while it isn't my favorite representation Spider-man /deadpool is at least an entertaining read.The fact that we get that peter plus Renew your vows spider-man really makes it the best of both worlds for me. At the end of the day there are 4 current entertaining Peter Parker related series and I can't really complain about that at all. One more day will always be one of the stories that I hate the most but overall I like where Spider-man is right now. And having two entertaining versions of Spidey is kinda cool and we wouldn't have that without one more day occurring.
    Favorite Characters

DC-Mr. Miracle, Big Barda, Batman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Superman, Wonder Woman, Starfire, Flash(Barry), Deathstroke, Cyborg

Marvel- Thor (Odinson), Wolverine(Logan), Storm, Daredevil, Elektra, Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, She-Hulk, Spider-Man (Peter), Vision

Fantastic Member

you are right that time travel is not explored much in spideys books it being the domain of Dr doom FF iron man and the avengers but then mysticism was also traditionally absent but then it started being used in increasing manner in storylines like the other OMD spiderverse etc. even spider island and clone conspiracy used it to a certain extent and so did Spider /deadpool series so it may be that in future perhaps time travel may be increasingly used. As to the time passed since OMDs occurrence the sliding timeline means its never too far in the past.
    Dr Strange could resolve everything

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Considering many aspects of the Spidey medium put her on a considerably high podium, I don't see why we shouldn't.

The sales of the inaugural Renew Your Vows series validates that belief

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows issue #8 is number 78 in the Top 100 Ordered Comic Books And Graphic Novels Of June 2017 By North American Comic Stores.
    I guess Mary Jane Venom is popular.
    I love the series.
    I always liked Peter Parker/Spider-Man married to Mary Jane since reading them getting married back in 1987.

BANNED

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows issue #8 is number 78 in the Top 100 Ordered Comic Books And Graphic Novels Of June 2017 By North American Comic Stores.
    I guess Mary Jane Venom is popular.
    I love the series.
    I always liked Peter Parker/Spider-Man married to Mary Jane since reading them getting married back in 1987.
    That's great news. In my opinion, Renew Your Vows, more than any other Spider-Man title at this time, deserves to be successful.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    That's great news. In my opinion, Renew Your Vows, more than any other Spider-Man title at this time, deserves to be successful.
    Yep

I overlooked something

TOP 100 GRAPHIC NOVELS

#30 is AMAZING SPIDER-MAN RENEW VOWS TP VOL 01 BRAWL IN FAMILY

Mighty Member

And that's part of the issue with the story; it's kind of an untenable plot if left "unresolved." I mean, deal with the devil? Something explicitly good removed from the heroes life? A kid removed from existance? This isn't some conclusion to a story arc. That's the intitial premise for a story arc, like it was in Flash, and like it became in Superman. And having the story resolved clearly has some gaping dramatic pits beneath it: Aunt May presumably passing (which would arguably fit her if it was her choice), some version of Lil'May probably appearing (you can argue Superman has further proven that concept's economic viability on top of Spider-Girl), villains remembering who Peter is, and of course, Peter knowing he made a mistake. That's easily a mega-arc. But it would have been better to strike while the iron was hot.

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    I voted no but I do have to say that I am really loving the Peter Parker stories we are getting right now. I hate how we got here but the current Slott run has been great in my opinion and is giving us a mature Peter that people seemed to be requesting for years. Zdarsky book is also off to a good start and while it isn't my favorite representation Spider-man /deadpool is at least an entertaining read.The fact that we get that peter plus Renew your vows spider-man really makes it the best of both worlds for me. At the end of the day there are 4 current entertaining Peter Parker related series and I can't really complain about that at all. One more day will always be one of the stories that I hate the most but overall I like where Spider-man is right now. And having two entertaining versions of Spidey is kinda cool and we wouldn't have that without one more day occurring.
    And you've kind f proven my opinion about OMD being effectively useless is truly changing his dynamic for the positive. Superior Spiderman and the other stories easily could have run with MJ as Peter's wife, and arguably heightened some of the drama for SpOck.
    “There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."

-C.S. Lewis

My buddy and I started a Podcast!
    http://franchisewars.madewithopinion.com
    Star Wars, Batman: Arkham, Doctor Who, Indiana Jones, and the New 52!
    In the latest one, what were the high points and low points of the New 52?

Fantastic Member

What do you think of the theory of Renew Your Vows is Marvel trying to prove undoing the marriage in 616 Universe is a good by doing MJ as another Mary Sue and Peter as an emasculated man?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY0EG7ldNdM&t=145s

How does that work in an alternative universe though?
    It's not canon in 616.
    Mary Jane never had powers nor wanted to be a superhero in 616 Universe.

The marriage lasted for 20 years.
    It took a stupid Devil's bargain to undo that marriage.
    They didn't dare get them divorced.
    They actually killed off Mary Jane, and that didn't even work.

If Marvel think that they can prove undoing the marriage in the Earth-616 was a good thing through writing about their marriage in an alternative universe, they are deluded.

Fantastic Member

What do you think of the theory of Renew Your Vows is Marvel trying to prove undoing the marriage in 616 Universe is a good by doing MJ as another Mary Sue and Peter as an emasculated man?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY0EG7ldNdM&t=145s

How does that work in an alternative universe though?
    It's not canon in 616.
    Mary Jane never had powers nor wanted to be a superhero in 616 Universe.

The marriage lasted for 20 years.
    It took a stupid Devil's bargain to undo that marriage.
    They didn't dare get them divorced.
    They actually killed off Mary Jane, and that didn't even work.

If Marvel think that they can prove undoing the marriage in the Earth-616 was a good thing through writing about their marriage in an alternative universe, they are deluded.
    Think they realize there is a market, have creatives pushing for it and are making money -

It's kind of a win win

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    And you think if the marriage was reinstated that Amazing would be the #1 selling book on the market? You guys really got MJ up on a pedestal. Seriously believe that a supporting character has that much clout, that adding MJ would propel Amazing past Batman? Don't you think you're over reaching and over hyping MJ's pull, just a tiny bit.
    I never said one word about the marriage nor MJ...but since we are on the subject of MJ let me add to this by saying that Amazing needs to fix several things;
    1.} Stop presenting Peter as an immature man-child
    2.}Stop having Team-Ups that show Peter never being able to win battles on his own.
    3.}Return Spiderman back to Street Level.
    4.}Focus on other villains than Doc Ock.
    5.}Return some of his classic supporting cast.
    6.} Stop having Peter going from empty relationship to empty relationship.
    7.}End P.I.
    8.}Drop the gadgets and tech.
    9.}Resolve OMD...this does not mean to bring the marriage back necessarily.
    10.}Have Peter and MJ back together again in a meaningful relationship.

Although I'm a big advocate of having Peter and MJ back together again in the main book it doesn't mean I need to have the marriage itself back...nor do I believe that just returning MJ back into Peters life will solve everything. However, it will go to great strides in starting to address the issues Amazing has accumulated since OMD and will return disgruntled fans back to the book.
    BND was a ten year experiment...an experiment that has failed miserably IMHO. Marvel can't continue to ignore these glaring problems that I have listed any longer...the title is bleeding readers and sells like never before.