Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
Results 421 to 426 of 426
  1. #421
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I doubt it. Slade's problem always was that writers(especially Wolfman)would try to push him as an anywhere when his actions were always those of a villain.

    Terra would probably work better as an antihero in the long term.
    Agreed. I think there isn't a writer who wants to make Slade any real kind of hero as a permanent status quo. Everyone knew from the beginning of Priest's Defiance run that Slade's time as a hero was extremely limited.

    Also, I would say you're right about Terra (and probably most of the current supporting cast of Deathstroke) - they're all wanting to be some kind of hero, but they're not really capable of it for various reasons. Except for Wally and Tanya, of course.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Reviews

  2. #422
    hate cant reach you here Endsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,102

    Default

    I wouldn't say they aren't capable; anti-heroes are still heroes after all. They're just willing to go further than say, Superman or Batman to get stuff done.

    The one difference between Batman and Red Hood is that Red Hood will kill if necessary.

    "I've never felt the world so angry. So divided. I can hear you. I can hear your pain. Your fear. Your anxiety. I want to help. I don't know how, but I'll learn." - X-Men Red #1(2018)

  3. #423
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I have to say, after reading through the last six pages of this thread, I am surprised to see that many enjoy Deathstroke in its current state.
    I am by no means an internet troll or someone that "gets off" by stirring the pot. I am a huge Deathstroke fan. Slade is what actually drew me back to collecting comics. I started as a kid in the 80's and collected until the mid 90's.
    I think the Batman game that featured him ignited my interest in the character. Who was this guy that could stand toe to toe with Batman? Then I saw a picture of God killer Deathstroke and wanted to know more about who he was.
    Ebay helped me get my hands on most of the comics that included him and found myself in comic store again collecting every wednesday..... Now every week that Deathstroke is on sale, its a must buy, but I find myself wondering what
    the heck did I just read?? I don't like any other characters in this book except for Power Girl.

    This book is hard to follow and this version of Deathstroke is forgettable. Every time I finish reading I find myself saying, "What was that??"

    Maybe in light of the current state of the world, having a comic with a lead that is a brutal assassin might be in bad taste, but come on!!!
    It could be that i'm too 80's and 90's to appreciate this book. I'm not so selfish that I believe a comic should cater just to me. So if ya'll
    are enjoying, carrying on.

  4. #424
    Mighty Member kurenai24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Essex, MD
    Posts
    1,274

    Default

    It seems like a couple of more books are cancelled by May ...I know Deathstroke is in the middle of an arc then but I am happy that he's chugging along.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

    ~~

    Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.


    ~~

    Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

  5. #425
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    It seems like a couple of more books are cancelled by May ...I know Deathstroke is in the middle of an arc then but I am happy that he's chugging along.
    so books are ending.... for sure do we have a list?

  6. #426
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    It seems like a couple of more books are cancelled by May ...I know Deathstroke is in the middle of an arc then but I am happy that he's chugging along.
    I think they're hoping Deathstroke vs. Batman will draw in enough readers to keep the title viable. It seems like this book and New Super-Man and maybe a couple more are the ones they're keeping for critical acclaim. Unless we see Deathstroke getting up to around 30k per month, I think this arc will be the finale.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    so books are ending.... for sure do we have a list?
    The books I see being tossed around are Super Sons, Birds of Prey, Titans, Teen Titans, Bombshells, Supergirl, and Harley Quinn. A couple of these are sales related, but I think most are related to NOPE JUSTICE and the Bendis Superman relaunch.

    Quote Originally Posted by dflat57 View Post
    I have to say, after reading through the last six pages of this thread, I am surprised to see that many enjoy Deathstroke in its current state.
    I am by no means an internet troll or someone that "gets off" by stirring the pot. I am a huge Deathstroke fan. Slade is what actually drew me back to collecting comics. I started as a kid in the 80's and collected until the mid 90's.
    I think the Batman game that featured him ignited my interest in the character. Who was this guy that could stand toe to toe with Batman? Then I saw a picture of God killer Deathstroke and wanted to know more about who he was.
    Ebay helped me get my hands on most of the comics that included him and found myself in comic store again collecting every wednesday..... Now every week that Deathstroke is on sale, its a must buy, but I find myself wondering what
    the heck did I just read?? I don't like any other characters in this book except for Power Girl.

    This book is hard to follow and this version of Deathstroke is forgettable. Every time I finish reading I find myself saying, "What was that??"

    Maybe in light of the current state of the world, having a comic with a lead that is a brutal assassin might be in bad taste, but come on!!!
    It could be that i'm too 80's and 90's to appreciate this book. I'm not so selfish that I believe a comic should cater just to me. So if ya'll
    are enjoying, carrying on.
    If you are a longtime Deathstroke fan, then the situation is probably that this is a different type of Deathstroke than I've seen in the few times I've glanced at older issues from previous series. Priest's Deathstroke has attracted a lot of people who didn't read Deathstroke previously - the Deathstroke "casuals" like myself. I'm not sure how many previous Deathstroke fans jumped on or stayed on - but it does seem that most of the people here in the thread are "new" to the character as a solo title.

    As for liking characters - I find myself liking all of the characters, but they're all terrible people. I think Priest has done a really good job with that. It is extremely labyrinthine in plot - but I think that challenge of figuring out what's going on is really rewarding when it all pays off, as it did in the Annual recently.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Reviews

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •