18 78.26%
  • Legion

1 4.35%
  • Other

4 17.39%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Thrasher View Post
    I'm not sure if I agree with you or not.
    Could you explain a little further?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Not exactly . . . Johnny seemed to be saying he commanded Thunderbolt to cause the JSA members to disappear from the HUAC hearings. Not the same thing as causing people (and history books) to forget the JSA ever existed.
    And as I've said before, the disappearance of the JSA from those hearings in front of Senator Joe McCarthy and others isn't a new idea. Paul Levitz introduced the idea back in a JSA story in 1979 to explain why the JSA members were not active after the Golden Age, and the concept has been used in stories many times over the years prior to Flashpoint in 2011.
    How exactly the collective memory of the Justice Society was removed from history books as well as people's minds since the start of the New52 is still anybody's guess at the moment.
    If Dr. Manhattan stole time from heroes, the JSA could have had their time in the forties stolen away as well. I'm leaning towards a mix of Johnny Thunder taking the JSA away in 51 and Jonny Osterman taking away their history. Seems like it could work. But these are superhero comics and pretty much anything's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    No idea which one will come first (I think they may come out at the same time), but I DO know that I would happily see most of DC's current books cancelled if it meant getting these two books right now.
    What an awful thought!!!

JSA and LEgion are archaic concepts that don't have a modern audience, that's why it's taking so long for them to find the right hook.

Same with Hackman, The Atom, Firestorm, etc, to the dustbin of comics history with them......

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    What an awful thought!!!

JSA and LEgion are archaic concepts that don't have a modern audience, that's why it's taking so long for them to find the right hook.

Same with Hackman, The Atom, Firestorm, etc, to the dustbin of comics history with them......
    Someone has a chip on their shoulder.
    World's Biggest Cassandra Cain Fan

Please refer to me with gender neutral pronouns.

What an awful thought!!!

Hackman?

There have been comic books starring Gene Hackman?

By the way, should Superman, Batman and Robin, and Wonder Woman also be consigned to the "dustbin of comics history" as well? (They've been around a heck of a lot longer.)

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

I'm not sure if I agree with you or not.
    Could you explain a little further?
    Hahaha ! OMG I have no idea what this was I came in here to vote and my laptop got hit with static from an Internet / power outage. ! Lol
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

It seems like they're working towards the JSA faster than the Legion, but at the end of the day I expect both books to launch fairly close to each other. I think the JSA will return during the finale of the Rebirth story, with the mystery of their whereabouts wrapped up, but the Legion might not appear until all the time highjinks are finished, as a sort of epilogue/book end to the whole thing.

And really, that makes some sense. With DC re-building its history you have to know where you were to know where you're going.

And I think the Legion requires less work than the JSA too. The Legion is really just superheroes meets Star Trek. It's a simple premise and time travel stories are always viable (to one degree or another). The JSA however? They don't really quite have a clear and obvious hook anymore. Johns built them up as the caretakers of legacy, and I expect that's still the purpose they'll serve, but it's tougher to write a book around that vague purpose than it is a team with a clear premise like "best heroes on earth" or "youngest heroes learning the ropes." And the mess that Earth-2 devolved into likely means DC will have to be extra careful to provide a worthwhile product this time, so more effort and care has to be taken.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Discipline = Freedom.

Invincible: The greatest superhero comic in the universe!

What an awful thought!!!

The JSA gets harder to do the farther you get from WW2 its characters and iconography are pretty much stuck in that era by design.

but as for the Legion, whats so archaic about it? its superheroes in the future. Thats a pretty broad and simple concept to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Someone has a chip on their shoulder.
    Lol

Wait? You want all rebirth titles cancelled, and I'm the one with a chip?

Aren't you also the guy who wants the Nu52 era buried and forgotten?

Any way back on topic.

as far as the LEgion, its pretty archaic, from a time when The future was hopeful, and kids were called lass and lad, flight rings. The comic is not really about superheroes in the future (which it itself is archaic, as evidenced by no 2099 titles for 30 years, Guardians 3001 finishing after 6 issues, Batman Beyond going thru 5 different volumes, and no current successful property.

Is there a niche for JSA and Legion? Of course, with top talent and an interesting take.
    Last edited by Nick Miller; 08-12-2017 at 07:34 PM.

What an awful thought!!!

I disagree with the "archaic concepts" term, but JSA and Legion seem to have older, more experienced fanbases. This leads me to believe they aren't gathering new fans at the rate other books/franchises are. How many of us Legion fans have been reading since the Great Darkness Saga? How many JSA fans bought JLA/JSA annual crisis crossovers when they came out? And yes, I know some of you are young, relatively new fans of the two. I'm not saying you don't exist. I'm saying that a greater percentage of fans of these two teams are older and have been doing this longer.

If this assessment is true (and I think it is), DC needs to find a way to increase new fans to these books. The concepts of the JSA and Legion are truly amazing, though. The worlds set up by both of these franchises are full of adventure and activity.

If I am wrong, what are some archaic concepts from the 50's and 60's?

Im saying this as a lover of the WWII history/superhero era and a fan of the Legion concept.

Wait? You want all rebirth titles cancelled, and I'm the one with a chip?
    Never said that. Said I'd happily see "most" of them cancelled if it meant getting these books. Considering I only really enjoy six Rebirth books, the statement is fitting. Wasn't saying it was a universal truth that everyone wanted this.

Aren't you also the guy who wants the Nu52 era buried and forgotten?
    1) Not a guy. 2) Yes, yes I am. Not sure how that's relevant. I'm far from the only one who hates the Nu52.

as far as the LEgion, its pretty archaic, from a time when The future was hopeful, and kids were called lass and lad, flight rings. The comic is not really about superheroes in the future
    Not sure how much Legion you've read, but the book has evolved far past its origins in several different interesting directions. We've seen it as a space-soap opera, we've seen it set in a dystopia, we've seen the Legion combating a corrupt and racist galaxy, we've seen them fighting for the rights of youths etc. And all while maintaining the core values of the book. The potential for stories is endless.

If I am wrong, what are some archaic concepts from the 50's and 60's?
    Bat-Baby and Superman being a dick on every other cover of his book.

Anybody remember when I posted this back in June?
    What are the chances they'll do a Rebirth of these guys first:

The Inferior Five
    Well, it may not technically be a Rebirth series, but . . . Keith Giffen And Jeff Lemire Create A Brand-New ‘Inferior Five’, Set In The ’80s