Mighty Member

Default does Palpatine have no fashion sense?

I know Sith lords like to wear black robes with hoods. But Palpatine is also an emperor. Why doesn't Palpatine dress more regal like a crown, a purple cloak, a sceptre and a military uniform with epaulettes, aiguillettes and gold cufflinks?

Cause he's ugly as a monkey's butt.

When you look like that you can see the point of wearing a hood and black clothes i guess.

iMan 42s

He actually had a variant in Revenge of the Sith with a red ornate version. The thing is however is that we don't actually see him long enough in the Original trilogy to know anything about his wardrobe at the time. We see the black robes in Return of the Jedi and a black hood in Empire strikes back, but we don't really know what his wardrobe looks like otherwise.

As Palpatine he had plenty of outfits but the hood is pretty much there due to how he became disfigured since he no longer needed the anonymity.

Whats more is that he is also not seen nearly as often as Vader is and doesn't need to get his hands dirty as much as Darth Vader would. So he wears what's comfortable for him, hides his disfigurement, and probably lounging about when he isn't executing somebody or handling politics. He doesn't need a uniform since he already is the master of the galaxy.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

In the "Dark Empire" comic series (Where Palpatine is resurrected as a young clone) he sort of has a goofy-looking outfit that's sort of like a mix between Billy Idol and Count Dracula.

Older drafts of the ESB script had Palpatine in a golden robe; it's possible they're revisiting this look for Snoke if legos are any indication.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    I know Sith lords like to wear black robes with hoods. But Palpatine is also an emperor. Why doesn't Palpatine dress more regal like a crown, a purple cloak, a sceptre and a military uniform with epaulettes, aiguillettes and gold cufflinks?
    Sometimes, in both fiction and in real life, powerful people find they can express their power by ignoring ornate formal wear when everyone else has to abide by it. Henry II of England, arguably the most powerful king in the Western Hemisphere while he was alive, was known for dressing in comparatively simple and comfortable clothes, like you see Peter O'Toole wear in "The Lion in Winter." And if you see the formal gear worn by the most fashion-conscious rulers in real life and in fiction, like the other members of Palpatine's court, you can see how ostentation can be uncomfortable.

Personally, I like to think that Palpatine wears a simple black hooded cloak because he can; everyone with power knows who he is even with his scars, the regular people can be given an idealized portraiture as mentioned in "Propaganda", and he probably despises traditional displays of power and status as beneath him. He doesn't need to look like he has power; he is power, as far as the Empire is concerned. Plus, and this is just my own judgement from what I've seen, it may reflect how he isn't interested in actually ruling the Empire, in a technical sense; he's obsessed with being the most powerful being in the Galaxy, but has no interest in reformatting any of its infrastructure for a positive gain, has no problem leaving the day-to-day operations in the hands of easily intimidated tyrants, and his legacy plans can be summed up as "burn everything when I'm gone."
    “There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."

-C.S. Lewis

My buddy and I started a Podcast!
    http://franchisewars.madewithopinion.com
    Star Wars, Batman: Arkham, Doctor Who, Indiana Jones, and the New 52!
    In the latest one, what were the high points and low points of the New 52?

Mighty Member

I see. Thanks for your answers, gents.

oh yeah, I forgot to also include a sash in the wardrobe I mentioned. Emperors, kings and other royalty wear a sash.

For a non-serious answer, would you REALLY want to tell the guy who can kill you with lightning or weird wizardy powers that his shade of robes was so last season and did not match his face at all?
    My Pull List: Ms. Marvel, Champions, & Secret Warriors

That's what he would say.

After giving you the lightning shower.
    Last edited by Starter Set; 06-24-2017 at 01:17 AM.
    A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker

Siddhartha Gautama.

It seems he doesn't. And I never really gave it any thought before but that might play into why he is one of the least interesting characters to me from the original movies. Even as a kid I remember thinking "this old creep is bossing around Vader???" And nothing in the prequels made him more interesting to me.