Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    iMan 42s

I'm one of the people who thought the Stomrtroopers got the job done in most cases and that Endor was a massive fluke (the failure at Yavin was due to an unaccounted for Force sensitive and not actual Imperial failure). One thing that bugs me though is turning Stormtroopers into incompetent soldiers when that simply wasn't the case in the movies as they usually got the job done, and did considerable damage wherever they showed up even causing mass casualties in ROTJ. I feel like Rogue one was a good balance for the modern interpretation of them. They're just doing jobs but still lethal and that it gets considerably worse for their opponents when they face elite troops like Death Troopers. So at the end of the day I'm very much against them being comical or building off things like hitting heads on doors and being viewed as incompetent compared to the clones.

Force witches and pacifist Mandalore needs to go into the dark reaches of space never to be heard from again.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

No more CGI zombies please.

Ok, i totally fell in love with Rogue One but what a freaking weird idea. Just leave the dead rest in peace and recast.

Yes, they are lot of actors out there looking for a job and among them i'm sure there are some who could act the part just fine.
    A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker

Siddhartha Gautama.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Force witches and pacifist Mandalore needs to go into the dark reaches of space never to be heard from again.
    I sort of get why an element of the fandom is not on board with pacifist Mandalorians and their ultra-violent and evil deathwatch rebels, even though there were no 'canon' canon Mandos before that.

But the witches of Dathomir and other non-Sith darksiders? They were well-established element of the ancient EU. I have old RPG books from West End Games that mention them.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Mighty Member

I'm one of the people who thought the Stomrtroopers got the job done in most cases and that Endor was a massive fluke (the failure at Yavin was due to an unaccounted for Force sensitive and not actual Imperial failure). One thing that bugs me though is turning Stormtroopers into incompetent soldiers when that simply wasn't the case in the movies as they usually got the job done, and did considerable damage wherever they showed up even causing mass casualties in ROTJ. I feel like Rogue one was a good balance for the modern interpretation of them. They're just doing jobs but still lethal and that it gets considerably worse for their opponents when they face elite troops like Death Troopers. So at the end of the day I'm very much against them being comical or building off things like hitting heads on doors and being viewed as incompetent compared to the clones.
    Obi-wan Kenobi once described stormtroopers as accurate marksmen. He said “only Imperial Stormtroopers are this precise”. But none of them could manage to get an accurate shot at Luke, Leia, Han and even the extremely big Chewbacca, let alone hit a whole barn. Was their aim really precise as Ben said?

In all Star Wars movies they appear, stormtroopers more or less come up as kind of average as best soldiers.

Even in Rogue One, who's maybe the kindest to them, there are a couple a moments who makes you really think that imperial standards are pretty low when it comes to recruitment.

Of course they can't just shoot our beloved heroes but still, the incompetence is real.
    Last edited by Starter Set; 07-05-2017 at 10:24 PM.
    A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker

Siddhartha Gautama.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Obi-wan Kenobi once described stormtroopers as accurate marksmen. He said “only Imperial Stormtroopers are this precise”.
    "From a certain point of view..." Compared to completely untrained toddlers for instance.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

And now that i think of it, they are also depicted in a rather unflattering way in the Rebels cartoon.

So yeah, in the canon the regular Imperial ground trooper left much to be desired.

Siddhartha Gautama.

iMan 42s

Obi-wan Kenobi once described stormtroopers as accurate marksmen. He said “only Imperial Stormtroopers are this precise”. But none of them could manage to get an accurate shot at Luke, Leia, Han and even the extremely big Chewbacca, let alone hit a whole barn. Was their aim really precise as Ben said?
    In every movie unless you are a main character, the stormtroopers/battle droids will never hit or kill any of the leads. The only exception to this is Rogue one where nobody got off Scarif, especially after the Imperials just cut their losses at the site. None of the heroes in the movies are at risk of being killed but that doesn't mean that we have to make the Empire look bad as while they don't get the heroes, they do end up killing everybody else.
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I sort of get why an element of the fandom is not on board with pacifist Mandalorians and their ultra-violent and evil deathwatch rebels, even though there were no 'canon' canon Mandos before that.

But the witches of Dathomir and other non-Sith darksiders? They were well-established element of the ancient EU. I have old RPG books from West End Games that mention them.

My problem with the witches had more to do with them being a little out of place. I guess I should clarify that I didn't like the show's depiction of them being heavily mystic and that it clashed heavily with how the force was used prior. There is some leniency I give with depictions of how the force can be used, but the witches of Dathomir left a little to be desired to me and from what I understand it wasn't originally the force they had been using in TCW, so it feels more out of place until it was retconed. It also felt a little forced that they had a habit of working with the bad guys hence Maul, and of course having a bigger/meaner brother from the same place. It wasn't enough that the darkside was a corruption and that anybody could fall, or that it cause physical deformities, but there is a planet of darkside evil that is ruled by witches that works with the villain of the saga. My problem with it was that it was a little much and a bit heavy handed when it came to informing the audience how evil or at least sinister they are.

Granted I actually like the witches. It's a fun idea to have darkside mystics with crazy weaponry and culture but I am against something in canon that goes that far to reinforce them being the bad guys.

My problem with the witches had more to do with them being a little out of place. I guess I should clarify that I didn't like the show's depiction of them being heavily mystic and that it clashed heavily with how the force was used prior
    I don't get it. The Force was always heavily mystical, drawing heavily from oriental religion. And it isneat that theyare going back to that, not just with Dathomir, but with how the Jedi and Sith are portrayed as well.
    Force-users aren't supposed to be mutants with telekinesis and telepathy, they're supposed to be mystics who channel the Frorce that binds the universe together and connect everything with everything else.

There is some leniency I give with depictions of how the force can be used, but the witches of Dathomir left a little to be desired to me and from what I understand it wasn't originally the force they had been using in TCW so it feels more out of place until it was retconed.
    There was no retcon. There is nothing supernatural in the Star Wars universe that isn't a manifestaion of the Force.

It also felt a little forced that they had a habit of working with the bad guys hence Maul, and of course having a bigger/meaner brother from the same place. It wasn't enough that the darkside was a corruption and that anybody could fall, or that it cause physical deformities, but there is a planet of darkside evil that is ruled by witches that works with the villain of the saga. My problem with it was that it was a little much and a bit heavy handed when it came to informing the audience how evil or at least sinister they are.
    How is it far-fetched that one of the largest groups of Dark Side Force-users in the galaxy would be in league with Palpatine?
    - Gerhard Bronner

Mighty Member

I choose to think that Kenobi's exposing one of the few times his exile has impacted his view of events-- he's equating the highly trained, competent, and competently armored Clonetroopers he commanded and who made up the initial set of Stormtroopers, with their inferior successors. Luke's not the only one who testifies to vision impairments with the Stormtrooper helmet; Captain Rex likewise notes the problem, suggesting they are genuinely inferior in design to his old armor. Palpatine deliberately sabotaging the greatest armed force in the Empire kind of makes sense if you apply totalitarian paranoia to him: "If my foot soldiers are only adequate, and my fleet features capital ships dependent on Starfighters for protection and Starfighters that are dependent on the capital ships for transport, both are less likely to successfully rebel against me."
    “There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."

-C.S. Lewis

My buddy and I started a Podcast!
    http://franchisewars.madewithopinion.com
    Star Wars, Batman: Arkham, Doctor Who, Indiana Jones, and the New 52!
    In the latest one, what were the high points and low points of the New 52?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    There was no retcon. There is nothing supernatural in the Star Wars universe that isn't a manifestaion of the Force.
    Debatable. The Lost Missions episodes had a Nightsister who, according to her, was trying to obtain Force sensitivity to combine with her own magic abilities to become even more powerful.

Also, there's nothing wrong with the idea of the Force and magic co-existing. One does not contradict the other.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Debatable. The Lost Missions episodes had a Nightsister who, according to her, was trying to obtain Force sensitivity to combine with her own magic abilities to become even more powerful.

Also, there's nothing wrong with the idea of the Force and magic co-existing. One does not contradict the other.
    I have not seen this episode, so I can't judge it.

I do think that anything that makes the Star Wars universe larger and not just about Jedi versus Sith (or worse, yet another Skywalker against yet another Skywalker) is great.
    - Gerhard Bronner