Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
    Astonishing Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I've stopped caring about Jason all that much either way. At this point, I'm mainly here for Giganta.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Writing for the marketing of Halloween costumes is a terrible way to write. Both Johns and Bendis are quality writers - until they write events. Aside from Aquaman, Johns has been steadily going downhill since Blackest Night. Darkseid War should have been huge, but didn't live up to it. And that was the best of his JL.
    Shazam says hi.

Aside from that though, can't say I disagree.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Okay, ANY story in which an attempt is made to say that a new character is "the true chosen one" instead of the main character of the story? That's pretty much guaranteed to be a red herring.

Jason WILL NOT steal Diana's spotlight. He'll be in the story. He'll be important in some way. He will NOT take over the book because that's not how anything works in storytelling.

People NEED to stop acting like this one story is going to ruin Diana forever or whatever the complaint here really is. It's a story. Maybe it'll be great, maybe it'll suck, maybe it'll be mediocre. One thing it won't do is replace Diana's importance with Jason's...
    People NEED to stop acting like people are acting like this story will "ruin Diana forever." Seriously, NO ONE has made that claim except you and Mel so you can stand boldly against it.

Why can't we criticize the idea of adding ANOTHER brother? Lennox didn't need to "steal Diana's spotlight" to, arguably, "ruin" the WW story, for some of us, just by being a brother. If DC is so desperate for a Wonder Male, why spend a year to get rid of the brothers she already had from a criticality acclaimed run just to turn around and tell us, "here's another one"? Why should I trust DC's track record? Why should I trust Robinson's - does anyone recommend his long lost sister for Spider-Man story? Even his Fury was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    ... Nothing about this story so far merits harassing a writer to the point where he feels the need to remove himself from the conversation altogether.
    Has anyone here harassed him in such a manner? No? Then why bring the twitter battle (or whatever it is) here to use against anyone not in love with this regurgitated trope? If he wants to remove himself, that's his choice.
    Last edited by Awonder; 07-16-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Shazam says hi.

Aside from that though, can't say I disagree.
    I think you mean "bye" since few cared and it never amounted to anything except Shazam being MIA.

Ultimate Member

I think you mean "bye" since few cared and it never amounted to anything except Shazam being MIA.
    Yeah, Johns Shazam didn't exactly set the house on fire... whatever happened to him?

I wouldn't say few cared for it. It was pretty well received by those who didn't have a creepy dislike of New 52 Billy for being a normal kid. At least around these parts, it seems to be one of the most desired properties to get an ongoing. Whatever the hold up is, I don't think it's entirely due to lack of interest from fans.

Plus quality wise, I just flat out disagree that it be included with the rest of Johns' declining work.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I wouldn't say few cared for it. It was pretty well received by those who didn't have a creepy dislike of New 52 Billy for being a normal kid. At least around these parts, it seems to be one of the most desired properties to get an ongoing. Whatever the hold up is, I don't think it's entirely due to lack of interest from fans.

Plus quality wise, I just flat out disagree that it be included with the rest of Johns' declining work.
    Would you put his Shazam on par with his Flash, JSA, and GL?

I would. I LOVED the New 52 Shazam and I've been a Shazam/Captain Marvel fan since the late 70s. As much as I loved the pre-New 52 Billy Batson, sometimes he was a bit too "gosh, golly" for my personal taste. I like that Johns made him a bit more serious but able to have fun at times. Plus, I REALLY LOVED the introduction of Darla Marvel. She was adorable.
    Currently Reading: Aquaman, Batgirl & The Birds of Prey, Green Arrow. Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps, Justice League of America, The Terrifics, Titans, Wonder Woman, & Wonder Woman '77.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I would. I LOVED the New 52 Shazam and I've been a Shazam/Captain Marvel fan since the late 70s. As much as I loved the pre-New 52 Billy Batson, sometimes he was a bit too "gosh, golly" for my personal taste. I like that Johns made him a bit more serious but able to have fun at times. Plus, I REALLY LOVED the introduction of Darla Marvel. She was adorable.
    Yeah, Darla, Mary, and the gang were fun. It's not that I think Johns' Shazam was bad, I just think it's a step down from his best stuff. And it didn't generate the same excitement. Ever since moving from writer to company exec, he seems less focused on the story, and too focused on sales gimmicks. That's understandable for his job, but I don't think the quality is there.

Did anyone answer my questions regarding Robinson's "Wonders" and Fury? It's been awhile, but I don't remember Robinson really doing anything with the name "Wonders" other than the name. So, it felt like a really shallow nod to WW, but that's it. And his Fury? A long lost daughter? I don't remember that being well written either.

The idea of another lie about another brother and the track record of those involved = I just can't get onboard this one.

...Has anyone here harassed him in such a manner? No? Then why bring the twitter battle (or whatever it is) here to use against anyone not in love with this regurgitated trope? If he wants to remove himself, that's his choice.
    That's you feeling attacked, Awonder. No one is using the Robinson's Twitter trouble against you or telling you that you can't criticize him. I brought it up, because we're discussing the introduction of Jason, the controversy of which has driven James Robinson off of Twitter, ..and I can do that, without any malice toward you.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-16-2017 at 02:26 PM.
    FINALLY! The greatest comic book movie, ever made... The ORIGIN of the GOLDEN AGE WONDER BOY!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    That's you feeling attacked, Awonder. No one is using the Robinson's Twitter trouble against you or telling you that you can't criticize him. I brought it up, because we're discussing the introduction of Jason, the controversy of which has driven James Robinson off of Twitter, ..and I can do that, without any malice toward you.
    I don't feel attacked because it's not about me. It's also not about anyone here, right? So, really, it has little to nothing to do with OUR discussion here.

It's hard to compare, as it doesn't have a long run like those titles. I overall prefer his Flash (particularly when he's working with Kolins) and pre-Blackest Night GL, but I think an ongoing of the same caliber or better of the first Shazam story could rival those.

Admittedly, I'm not wild about the JSA to begin with, so I'm not inclined to like those issues anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    This. The new family members (including Tawky Tawny) were really great.

Back to Jason, I'm willing to give him (the character and Robinson) a shot.

I'm curious if he'll know his heritage or if he'll be surprised by it. No one's getting back to Themyscira these days, so there's not really a way to check with Hippolyta and ask, "by the way, did you have a son too?"

I just hope it's clarified whether or not he's her brother. I don't want to be left hanging questioning it. Let's resolve the Truth or Lies of the situation Robinson.

I'd LOVE to see Mala, being the perfect comedic foil for Etta, come to Man's World and join the regular cast. By contrast, ..I can't see how Jason and Donna orbiting the narrative, while remaining on the peripheral, ruins a comic that either will barely be seen in.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-16-2017 at 08:32 PM.
    FINALLY! The greatest comic book movie, ever made... The ORIGIN of the GOLDEN AGE WONDER BOY!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I'd LOVE to see Mala, being the perfect comedic foil for Etta, come to Man's World and join the regular cast.
    I really like that idea.