Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    This brings to mind something Christopher Priest was talking about on his blog last month.

The rest of the blog post can be read here: http://lamerciepark.com/wp/?p=606
    A lot of people want to read fanfiction-y vignettes about the characters they like just hanging out and having a barbecue or something.

The MCU movies are starting to tap into this if we're being honest. Likeable characters exchanging witty banter and going through superficial crucible-looking trials.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I am enjoying it - but I don't think it's above criticism. And not every story clicks for me. But even when I'm not wowed by an issue or an arc, I still feel that Slott is giving it his all and I respect that.

And you're right that it's unfair to say that fans automatically want a blander, safer Spidey if they don't like Slott's take. It's true that there's a variety of valid gripes that fans can have with Slott's Spidey. However, the marriage or lack thereof, gets a lot of attention and I will say that labeling Slott's run as polarizing ignores the fact that every Spidey run is likely to be polarizing in a post-OMD world.

Slott just happened to be the first solo ASM writer after OMD and has earned the ire of marriage fans who think that he is enforcing a status quo they don't like. No matter who takes over for Slott when he eventually moves on, if the marriage is still gone - which it will be - that writer is still going to have a group of fans angry with them.

We also have to take into account that Slott has really been the only solo ASM writer since the internet as we know it today and social media as we know it existed. Every single past Spidey writer - even Stan - could have been deemed "polarizing" for one reason or another if they'd had to conduct their runs with fans having a 24/7 outlet to criticize their work and to direct criticize and interact with them.
    You make some solid, valid points. The marriage, or rather the lack of the marriage, will always be a sore spot for many fans and whoever is currently writing the series will have to deal with the fallout. I agree that it's a little unfair because keeping the marriage on ice is an editorial decision; it isn't up to the writers. In fact, I actually give Slott a lot of credit for even giving us Renew Your Vows and its large success spawning an ongoing title. That being said, I'm more than ready for some new talent on the title. Slott has had a long run and I think he peaked several years ago.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    You make some solid, valid points. The marriage, or rather the lack of the marriage, will always be a sore spot for many fans and whoever is currently writing the series will have to deal with the fallout. I agree that it's a little unfair because keeping the marriage on ice is an editorial decision; it isn't up to the writers. In fact, I actually give Slott a lot of credit for even giving us Renew Your Vows and its large success spawning an ongoing title. That being said, I'm more than ready for some new talent on the title. Slott has had a long run and I think he peaked several years ago.
    Well, as Dan has said on here this year, reuniting Peter and MJ as a couple is not off the table for the next writer if he or she so chooses, just that the marriage in the main canon cannot be brought forward. I know for some people it's marriage or bust though.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 07-15-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Well, as Dan has said on here this year, reuniting Peter and MJ as a couple is not off the table for the next writer if he or she so chooses, just that the marriage in the main canon cannot be brought forward. I know for some people it's marriage or bust though.
    I'm fine with them just being a couple.

I'm not expecting the marriage to come back in mainstream continuity. The former, with them as a couple again? That definitely will happen some day. Probably not under the metaphorical pen of the first post-OMD writer, but...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I'm not expecting the marriage to come back in mainstream continuity. The former, with them as a couple again? That definitely will happen some day. Probably not under the metaphorical pen of the first post-OMD writer, but...
    If the writer requests Peter and MJ be a couple for his run, Dan might oblige and put them back together before he goes. Anything can happen.

Did'nt Mackie only seperate Peter and MJ because JMS wanted to tell that story when he kicked off his era?

Fantastic Member

If the writer requests Peter and MJ be a couple for his run, Dan might oblige and put them back together before he goes.
    1. I'm not going.

Anything can happen.
    2. Except the marriage. No matter who is writing, drawing, editing, editor-in-chief-ing, publisher-ing, or president-ing.
    That's not happening.

But couple? Sure.
    The character's over in Iron Man right now. You never know. Maybe she'll start dating Stark.

I don't think, given the current trend shown by the people in charge of Marvel, will give readers a couple either. They have teased Peter with Danvers, Sable and now Mockingbird but it never went anywhere, Felicia was a F-buddy at best before she was turned into a "villain" and his last romance was with someone nobody really cared for (Cooper). So i really have doubts they would even grant us the chance to see them as a couple because i think that would make the fanbase feel hopeful for something Marvel heads deem as too old fashion (got this from a video from Prof. Thorgi).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    But couple? Sure.
    The character's over in Iron Man right now. You never know. Maybe she'll start dating Stark.
    Isn't Stark in a coma? You know what that means...

1. I'm not going.
    Have fun. (But not too much fun!)

2. Except the marriage. No matter who is writing, drawing, editing, editor-in-chief-ing, publisher-ing, or president-ing.
    That's not happening.
    Let's not even go there. We've all been down that rabbit hole before. Nothing good is going to come out of debating something that's A.) in the future, and B.) above all our pay grades.

But couple? Sure.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

If you'll excuse me, I need to go find a bucket.

But couple? Sure.
    That would require her to actually do something in that book .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That would require her to actually do something in that book .
    Yeah, the only book where Mary Jane is treated well these days is over in Renew Your Vows.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Isn't Stark in a coma? You know what that means...

Even then, not like Bendis has been doing anything with MJ since he got her. Hell Slott did more impressive things with MJ while Bendis had her than Bendis had. At this point, she's practically a glorified background character.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 07-15-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Even then, not like Bendis has been doing anything with MJ since he got her. Hell Slott did more impressive things with MJ while Bendis had her than Bendis had. At this point, she's practically a glorified background character.
    Granted, I don't think MJ's been as obnoxious under Bendis as we've seen her later during Slott's, but that might be because she's too much in the background to actually have any significant personal moments in the book...

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    What about a street-level team?

In the Ultimate comics, they did a couple stories where Spider-Man got involved with other street-level superheroes during gang wars.

While it started after Miles had taken over as Spider-Man, All-New Ultimates centered around a team of young superheroes dealing with street-level crime, a set-up I could've seen working with Peter Parker's Spider-Man.
    Don't get me wrong...I'm not against good Team-Up stories or having Spidey work with other heroes from time to time...I just don't like how it has become the norm now. A Spiderman Streel Level Team might be interesting as long as it's only temporary and not permanent.