View Poll Results: Which X-Couple improved each other the most by being together?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sean & Moira

19 9.74%
  • Nathan & Neena

1 0.51%
  • Scott & Jean

52 26.67%
  • Remy & Anna Marie

21 10.77%
  • Forge & Ororo

3 1.54%
  • Betsy & Warren

11 5.64%
  • Lorna & Alex

0 0%
  • Rictor & Shatterstar

18 9.23%
  • Emma & Scott

55 28.21%
  • Kitty & Peter

5 2.56%
  • Alison & Longshot

1 0.51%
  • Amanda & Kurt

0 0%
  • Meggan & Brian

4 2.05%
  • Layla & Jamie

5 2.56%
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Poll: X-Couples Who Actually Made Each Other Better?

Over the years there have been a good number of x-couples. Many of these romances have come and gone now. Some will forever effect the x-franchise, while others seemed to go out with a whimper. Some were clearly based on dysfunction and solace, while other matches just seemed to fit the characters. The question I have is which x-coupling do you think most positively affected the characters involved when they were together?

A couple of ground rules. Both members have to have actually dated (no teases) and have to have been members of actual x-teams including support personnel. I've tried to compile a list of the more high profile romances, in no particular order, but I can't list every single one. Feel free to reply with alternatives if you think I've missed some good options.

Personally I have to go with Scott and Jean. I can't say that I can think of another couple whose powers and personality combined as well, and for as long as theirs did. Scott was able to ground Jean's passion and "leap before you look" attitude without smothering it. Jean was able to smooth Scott's harder edges and keep him mentally on track without emasculating him. Their reliance on each other was instrumental in surviving and recovering after multiple traumas that should have forever sunk them as a couple such as the DPS and Inferno.

As partners and co-leaders in the 90's and 00's Jean's diplomatic prowess filled the gaps that Scott's strategic and tactical abilities couldn't and provided a more appealing face to mutant leadership. Although ultimately ending tragically (again) during Morrison's run, the legacy of what this couple achieved together IMO outstrips the other entries on this list. One could argue that Jean's absence from Scott's life allowed Schism and AvX to occur, an outcome I think we can all agree would have been best avoided.

Honorable Mentions to Layla & Jamie. I just loved how they got written off into the sunset... until DoX.

So, what's your take? Which couple reigns as "better together"?
    Last edited by Ulfhammer; 07-04-2017 at 04:17 PM.

To be honest, I'm drawing a blank.

hangin on by a thread... donpricetag's Avatar

Lol there's no drama in making each other better! That also requires writing talent and freedom. Something writers aren't given too much of. But if I had to pick one... Psylocke and Angel never damaged each other. They split during or after Revolution because I think Psylocke felt trapped? Not 100% but I don't think it was any more complicated than that.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs.

Storm and Wolverine, definitely.
    "Lightning, deliver this place from darkness." - Storm in X-men TAS.

You should read The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl solo, X-men Gold, Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther solo, Black Panther And The Crew and Black Panther: World of Wakanda

"The Month of May is Ororo Munroe aka Storm Month"

Faves: Ororo Munroe aka Storm (Marvel), X (Dark Horse), Vincent Van Goat (Valiant), Superboy Prime (DC), Ingrid (Street Fighter), Celine Dion (Music)

Colossus and Domino

One is clingy and sensitive. The other is independent and uninhibited. They kind of balanced each other out.

Edit: Which is probably why the pairing was dropped. I guess the functioning couple who're happy together isn't very interesting these days. Colossus goes back to pining after Kitty. Domino goes back to limbo and/or is relegated to spinoff titles.
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 07-04-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Incredible Member The_Phenom2893's Avatar

Where's the poll?

But I'll say no, anyways.

Edit: Never mind.
    Last edited by The_Phenom2893; 07-04-2017 at 04:21 PM.

Rictor and Shatterstar. Doug and Warlock.

I'd definitely say Scott & Jean.
    Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Rictor and Shatterstar. Doug and Warlock.
    Good choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member

Emma and Scott seemed like it would be really good for both of them (humanizing her, getting him to lighten up), but ended up seeming more like a dumpster fire (Emma turned into a clingy shadow of herself, Scott turned into Magneto-lite).

Warren and Candy seemed like a good pairing. I like that, despite any apparent mismatch between their 'status' (he, billionaire-playboy-mutant, she, stewardress-not-mutant), she held her own just fine, and even ended up being chosen as team leader of a Defenders team. (She was Heather Hudson before Heather Hudson!)

Kurt and Amanda, as well. He seemed more happy and swashbuckler-y around her, and she pretty much didn't exist outside of being his girlfriend, so it certainly raised her profile from 'non-existent' to 'guest-star.'

I would like to think that Sean and Moira were a good couple, but any time they were 'coupled' it was when they were both being written off-screen, I have no idea. It certainly wasn't great for either of their profiles, in a comic book sense, since they pretty much vanished when they were a couple.

I still think that X-23 and Hellion were good for each other. Laura helped bring out a lot of Julian's nobler qualities, and he was one of the first people to ACTIVELY try to show her a different way than what she was bred for (Logan talked game, but ultimately just dumped her at the school and left her to fend for herself).

Even now I think they could benefit from one another, especially Julian. Bonus points for their powers complementing one another.
    Still hoping for that Helix Reunion...

Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Pull List
    AN Wolverine Deadpool

New JerZ. You KNOW something! Tell me what you know!

Monet & Synch. That's why he was killed off.

Also, almost didn't notice Rogue x Gambit on here. Her name is Rogue "Anna Marie".
    Last edited by Goddess; 07-04-2017 at 05:00 PM.
    Author of X-Forums.

Follow Goddess on Instagram.

X-23 and Hellion

Emma made Scott the man he is today...dead, lol.
    Skeeter: Hey time traveling O5 members of the X-Men We don't take kindly to people who create a time paradox around here!

Bartender: Now calm down Skeeter they aint hurtin nobody.

Skeeter: No! I wanna know som'in from the "O5" How come you cant go back to your own timeline in the first place and how come when Reed Richards "fixed" the universe you wasnt put back and how come the changes that happn to you dont happn to your present day selves?

Bartender: Skeeter I dont want trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    X-23 and Hellion.
    Yep, came here to say this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Colossus and Domino

One is clingy and sensitive. The other is independent and uninhibited. They kind of balanced each other out.

Edit: Which is probably why the pairing was dropped. I guess the functioning couple who're happy together isn't very interesting these days. Colossus goes back to pining after Kitty. Domino goes back to limbo and/or is relegated to spinoff titles.
    Great call. I agree 100%.

Incredible Member JeanGreyForever's Avatar

Scott and Jean, Betsy and Warren, and Logan and Ororo.