View Poll Results: Best WW Writer other than Perez & Azzarello?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • W.M. Marston

20 31.75%
  • Denny O'Neill

0 0%
  • Gerry Conway

0 0%
  • Roy Thomas

0 0%
  • Dan Mishkin

0 0%
  • W.M. Loebs

5 7.94%
  • Phil Jimenez

14 22.22%
  • Eric Luke

0 0%
  • Greg Rucka

23 36.51%
  • Gail Simone

1 1.59%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Excluding Perez and Azzarello, Who was the best WW Writer?

Excluding Perez and Azzarello, Who was the best WW Writer? Of course the Perez run is going to be popular since DC gave him the task of re-defining Diana for a generation, so I took him out of the equation to see who the most popular WW writer other than him would be. I also took Azz out of it, not to single out Perez.

Oops: I unintentionally left out Byrne. You can write him in if you choose to.
    Last edited by Thor2014; 07-08-2017 at 02:14 PM.

I guess I would go with Loebs. I thought the contest and the Artemis arcs were well done. I also thought that the first year of Gail Simone was stellar. Loved The Ends of the Earth and The Circle and got a hoot when she gave us a post-crisis Silver Serpent. Was glad to see Etta back in the supporting cast, Gail even dropped in a 'Woo-Woo.' I was also appreciative of Nemesis, to me he was the next best thing to having the Steve-Diana romance back. Tom was like Steve Trevor with the 'serial numbers filed off.'

Eric Luke's run is underrated and Jimenez's run should be collected. Roy Thomas's early 80s soft-reboot of the character is also oft-overlooked. He (I believe) gave us Silver Swan and tossed in Circe as a villain. Diana was based in DC with a re-booted Steve and was able to play the classic Wondy/Steve/Diana triangle one last time. Mishkin followed up with Thomas's groundwork. Etta and General Darnell were there as well as new additions such as Howard and Lt. Haley.

It's hard for me, Marston's run helped started Wonder Woman and I do like Rucka's run.
    Please sign this so we can at least show DC we want Legend of Wonder Woman part 2.

https://www.change.org/p/comic-fans-...part-2-back-on

It's a toss up for me between Jimenez, Rucka, and Simone for different reasons, so I went with Jimenez. He really portrayed Diana with depth and had fun building out more of the Wonder mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Oops: I unintentionally left out Byrne. You can write him in if you choose to.
    Nah. It was more a 'various Kirby characters that Byrne thought needed fixing' than a Wonder Woman run.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Marston is my favorite. Simone is my favorite writer for Diana but Rucka's 2nd run is my favorite modern run.

Standing Member

"Charles Moulton," Mike Sekowsky and Martin Pasko are my top three. After that I'd say Jack C. Harris, John Byrne, Eric Luke and maybe now Greg Rucka.

Jimenez. Hands down.

He did a rare thing in Wonder Woman writer history: he built on a previous writer's work. Jimenez's Diana was the same Diana Perez wrote. Jimenez just built on the traits he gave her and took them to the next level. Gone was the naivete and innocence of Perez's Diana, and in her place we get an older, wiser, Diana who has fully grown into herself.

He also did SO MANY great things with Diana and her world that other writers could've built on. The Amazons opening Themiscyra to the outside world? The return of super-advanced science in Themiscyra? Diana's emerging role as a leader among other superheroes? It was all there, ready to be expanded upon.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

Marston or Jimenez. In the end I broke the tie by going with the creator.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

I chose Marston in the vote but I do find it weird how Simone is never in the running for these things.

William Moulton Marston

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

If any poll of this kind has Marston in it, he will have my vote.
    This message has been placed here
    IN MEMORIAM
    by the Tijuana Bible Society.

Mighty Member

Voted for Jimenez. Gotta give props for Byrne for introducing Wonder Girl Cassie Sandmark.

Kanigher got snubbed again!
    Also visit my blog where I expose Wonder Woman for the criminal she is!

How come these anonymous sources failed to report Zack Snyder had left post-production on Justice League? They seem to know everything now...

Mighty Member

If anyone should be excluded, it's Marston. As the creator - and a very creative creator - I put him in his own category. So, of course, he got my vote.

As for the rest, my personal favorites are:

- Rucka's first run and Year One
    - Perez
    - Simone
    - Jimenez