View Poll Results: Best WW Writer other than Perez & Azzarello?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • W.M. Marston

20 31.75%
  • Denny O'Neill

0 0%
  • Gerry Conway

0 0%
  • Roy Thomas

0 0%
  • Dan Mishkin

0 0%
  • W.M. Loebs

5 7.94%
  • Phil Jimenez

14 22.22%
  • Eric Luke

0 0%
  • Greg Rucka

23 36.51%
  • Gail Simone

1 1.59%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How did Rucka's first run have disgust for what came before and bad ideas? If anything, he's one of the few who who doesn't show disdain for previous versions
    I mostly meant slow pacing and underwhelming ending by the way.

Spectacular Member

Rucka winning this poll means that Diana just hasn't had many great runs. I mean, geez. Rucka's two runs should be considered good and pretty good, not great.

Just crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BFF View Post
    Rucka winning this poll means that Diana just hasn't had many great runs. I mean, geez. Rucka's two runs should be considered good and pretty good, not great.
    It's all opinions. To you it may be pretty good, to others he has been the best writer in a long while.

Wonder Woman fans don't really get many writers as she only has one consistent book. She doesn't have 4-5 titles like Batman or Superman and as many stories as the other two, even though she does have a 75 year history.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    It's all opinions. To you it may be pretty good, to others he has been the best writer in a long while.

Wonder Woman fans don't really get many writers as she only has one consistent book. She doesn't have 4-5 titles like Batman or Superman and as many stories as the other two, even though she does have a 75 year history.
    I don't think we're disagreeing. My sense of it is people are begrudgingly voting for Rucka while knowing his runs were more good than great.

Fantastic Member

How did Rucka's first run have disgust for what came before and bad ideas? If anything, he's one of the few who who doesn't show disdain for previous versions
    Because he uses his runs to "fix" what he doesn't like about previous runs. So Down to Earth was about getting rid of the Jimenez set-up, the next was a way to get rid of the Wonder Dome, and his whole second run suggested the Azzarello version was all a lie. Maybe not disgust, but a disregard.

Fantastic Member

I voted for Messner-Loebs, but probably should have voted for Marston. I think Perez and Marston are the two who should be excluded, however.

Greg Rucka.
    Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

Astonishing Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    Because he uses his runs to "fix" what he doesn't like about previous runs. So Down to Earth was about getting rid of the Jimenez set-up, the next was a way to get rid of the Wonder Dome, and his whole second run suggested the Azzarello version was all a lie. Maybe not disgust, but a disregard.
    He didn't get rid of the Jimenez set up at all. The Amazons didn't lose any of the technology they gained, the Amazons were still a united tribe, and Vanessa's Silver Swan played a big part in the beginning. He may have killed of the Wonderdome and Sebastian Ballesteros, but both of those ideas were pretty lousy to begin with, and he still acknowledged them in continuity.

Dismissing the Azzarello run as lies is a disregard, but the New 52 run had some meta commentary that threw dirt on the previous iterations (including Rucka's and Jimenez's), so it's hardly unprovoked. Azzarello once said the Cheetah had no connection to Wonder Woman besides being a woman, so it's pretty awesome that Barbara Minerva got to be the one to throw shade about the types of Amazons the New 52 was pushing.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    He didn't get rid of the Jimenez set up at all. The Amazons didn't lose any of the technology they gained, the Amazons were still a united tribe, and Vanessa's Silver Swan played a big part in the beginning. He may have killed of the Wonderdome and Sebastian Ballesteros, but both of those ideas were pretty lousy to begin with, and he still acknowledged them in continuity.

Dismissing the Azzarello run as lies is a disregard, but the New 52 run had some meta commentary that threw dirt on the previous iterations (including Rucka's and Jimenez's), so it's hardly unprovoked. Azzarello once said the Cheetah had no connection to Wonder Woman besides being a woman, so it's pretty awesome that Barbara Minerva got to be the one to throw shade about the types of Amazons the New 52 was pushing.

That comment about Cheetah having no connection to Diana beyond them both being women was completely ignorant. Barbara Minerva was an archeologist who had a fascination with the Amazons and other aspects of Diana's world. Even the original Cheetah(Priscilla Rich) was jealous of Wonder Woman which created a dysfunctional connection between the two of them. Not every villain needs to be a hero's long lost half-sibling.
    Currently Reading: Aquaman, Batgirl & The Birds of Prey, Green Arrow. Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps, Justice League of America, The Terrifics, Titans, Wonder Woman, & Wonder Woman '77.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Jimenez set up Themyscira as a magical floating set of islands that hosted scholars from man's world and other worlds as well, a meeting place for all cultures to resolve differences. Rucka's first arc was to dump it back into the ocean, send the outsiders away, and make the Amazons paranoid about the outside world again. That was the set up I was talking about. As for Vanessa, Rucka's first few arcs erased what had been done to her under Jimenez.

What was the meta commentary? It's probably less meta than saying an entire run was not real. And I don't really care what a creator says in an interview, although if Rucka was responding to that, that seems pretty petty.

And that said, I liked Rucka's first run. But i've noticed he's interested in previous runs not so much to build on them (like Paradise Island tech, or harmony between the two tribes), but to get rid of the things he doesn't like.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I was not a big fan of Rucka's first run. I think The Hiketeia was not as great as some hold it out to be. It's a dark story, and Wonder Woman does not come off well in dark stories; Wonder Woman should be about triumphing over tragedy, and escaping no-win situations, not being confined by them. His run on the main title seemed to be ringing themes on The Hiketeia.

I liked his recent run well enough, but this may be a function of reviving the character after more than five years of absence.
    This message has been placed here
    IN MEMORIAM
    by the Tijuana Bible Society.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I was not a big fan of Rucka's first run. I think The Hiketeia was not as great as some hold it out to be. It's a dark story, and Wonder Woman does not come off well in dark stories; Wonder Woman should be about triumphing over tragedy, and escaping no-win situations, not being confined by them. His run on the main title seemed to be ringing themes on The Hiketeia.

I liked his recent run well enough, but this may be a function of reviving the character after more than five years of absence.
    I don't think he had any no win scenarios aside from Hiketeia. And previous runs had tragedies as well. Including his second one

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    Jimenez set up Themyscira as a magical floating set of islands that hosted scholars from man's world and other worlds as well, a meeting place for all cultures to resolve differences. Rucka's first arc was to dump it back into the ocean, send the outsiders away, and make the Amazons paranoid about the outside world again. That was the set up I was talking about. As for Vanessa, Rucka's first few arcs erased what had been done to her under Jimenez.

What was the meta commentary? It's probably less meta than saying an entire run was not real. And I don't really care what a creator says in an interview, although if Rucka was responding to that, that seems pretty petty.

And that said, I liked Rucka's first run. But i've noticed he's interested in previous runs not so much to build on them (like Paradise Island tech, or harmony between the two tribes), but to get rid of the things he doesn't like.
    Getting rid of a few things from s previous run is not the same thing as disregarding the entirety of it. Every writer has one or two things they ignore. Even Grant "Everything is in continuity" has made his own changes where he saw fit

Okay, enough.

The OP intentionally left Azzarello off of the list, which is his/her choice.

This isn't an invitation to once again debate the merits of Azzarello's run.

Discuss the writers listed, vote on the writers listed and move on.

If you want to debate Azzarello ad nauseum, take it to an existing thread.
    Gaelforce
    Superman/Wonder Woman/TV Film Forum Moderator
    Keeper of the Watering Can

Fantastic Member

Getting rid of a few things from s previous run is not the same thing as disregarding the entirety of it. Every writer has one or two things they ignore. Even Grant "Everything is in continuity" has made his own changes where he saw fit
    You're right. Rucka didn't disregard Jimenez' set-up. He dismantled it. He didn't ignore it, he destroyed it.

The only elements he addressed were the ones he wanted to reverse.

The question is, then, what did he keep?

(I'm sure he was glad that both Donna and Trevor Barnes were killed before he took the helm, so he didn't have to bother getting rid of them.)