Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default New American Alien Spin-Off Series From Max Landis

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...-agent-batman/

Max Landis is working on a sequel to American Alien. It appears the focus may be more on Batman and Robin, though Clark will appear as indicated by the sample Max posted
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 07-11-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Astonishing Member

I really have no idea how he processes things, if he wants to write a Superman story that is a continuation of his previous Superman story then why is he dragging Batman and Robin in to it? and Lois Lane/Mr Freeze? Killer Moth? what does he smoke and where can I get some?

DC needs to stop over relying on Batman, there's a limit to it and I cant believe I'm saying this because I usually defend DC's decision to use Batman. But Superman can hold another book just fine.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...-agent-batman/

Max Landis is working on a sequel to American Alien. It appears the focus may be more on Batman and Robin, though Clark will appear as indicated by the sample Max posted
    If this is actually a go, I am so in.

Landis has described this story in the past as "Superman and Robin vs. Aquaman," which the article mentions. It's a Clark and Dick story, and my impression is it's one that will rile up the hardcore Batfans a bit, because Bruce definitely will be flawed.

I'll be interested to see if DC actually lets him introduce his Justice League concepts so close to the release of that film.

Tweet by Max Landis regarding AGENT OF BATMAN (from that link):

"If I do write SUPERMAN: AGENT OF BATMAN, you'll get to see how totally outmatched my Clark can be by Wonder-Woman, Flash, Aquaman, etc."

Annnndd, I'm out.

Will not buy AGENT OF BATMAN (lol even the title is a dead giveaway) if that statement holds true.

If I want to see Supes get his ass kicked other DC heroes yet again, I can just pick out any guest appearance by him in their books or even vice versa. At this point, if showing how much Supes sucks is the only way to have him interact with other heroes, then I rather he not interact with them at all.

Too bad, I really dug AMERICAN ALIEN and was hoping for more freshness from Landis. Guess I'll save my money now (unless the reviews end up countering his own claim).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    I really have no idea how he processes things, if he wants to write a Superman story that is a continuation of his previous Superman story then why is he dragging Batman and Robin in to it? and Lois Lane/Mr Freeze? Killer Moth? what does he smoke and where can I get some?

DC needs to stop over relying on Batman, there's a limit to it and I cant believe I'm saying this because I usually defend DC's decision to use Batman. But Superman can hold another book just fine.
    The Lois/Freeze stuff is unrelated to this project; just an idea in a tweet that is predictably confusing because Bleeding Cool can't format or edit worth a flip.

And Bruce and Dick were part of the previous story, just in brief spots.

Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar

I kind of wonder if he's not just using this as an excuse to just play with the rest of the DCU. "Oh, it's TOTALLY a sequel to American Alien! (it's not! It's totally not! It's an excuse to build my own DCU like Frank Miller and Mark Waid!)". My only real hang-up with American Alien was that Batman existed before Superman. So even in his own book, Superman had to play second banana to Batman.
    Jokerize those fries!

...Well I'll probably read it .

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Tweet by Max Landis regarding AGENT OF BATMAN (from that link):

"If I do write SUPERMAN: AGENT OF BATMAN, you'll get to see how totally outmatched my Clark can be by Wonder-Woman, Flash, Aquaman, etc."

Annnndd, I'm out.

Will not buy AGENT OF BATMAN (lol even the title is a dead giveaway) if that statement holds true.

If I want to see Supes get his ass kicked other DC heroes yet again, I can just pick out any guest appearance by him in their books or even vice versa. At this point, if showing how much Supes sucks is the only way to have him interact with other heroes, then I rather he not interact with them at all.

Too bad, I really dug AMERICAN ALIEN and was hoping for more freshness from Landis. Guess I'll save my money now (unless the reviews end up countering his own claim).
    It makes sense for his take on things. Landis writes Superman as not being anywhere near as powerful as he has often been portrayed (remember, Lobo put him in a hospital at the end of American Alien), and there is no understanding between heroes yet in his world. It's a Superman with limits, and a Superman with limits would have trouble in a fight with other members of the Justice League. It's not a "Superman sucks" take.

It better not feature Superman as Batman's "Agent."

"Evil Wonder Woman who needs to be taken down by Superman" is a deal breaker too.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Just like Frank Miller with TDKSA and his later Batman books. Landis is more interested in writing a JL book, than focus on an individual character (i.e. just Superman or Batman).
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 07-11-2017 at 11:15 AM.

HOLY CRAP, IT'S REALLY HAPPENING!? Last I heard DC was afraid of this book conflicting with the Justice League movie. I guess they finally decided that getting more money from a squeal to a very well received book (I think it's being nominated for some awards) is a pretty good look?

Really hope we get a hefty number of issues for this one (7 more would be great), and that Landis gets to work with a bunch of great artist like the last one. I wonder if any Rebirth artist want to take a crack at it? Francis Manapul seemed to be into American Alien enough to give it a pretty direct shoutout in his book, so he might be down. I imagine the reasoning for the artist switching this time round will be because Clark and Dick are stepping into the world of each soon-to-be JLA member. Like the Wonder Woman issue will likely look pretty different from the Flash issue.

Man, my hype levels for this book could break a scouter! I've really missed this Clark Kent/Superman.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

"Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."

-Coffee That

Most announcements seem to be met with people swearing a project will suck. I remember his first interviews about the last story and the reactions to him. Would have thought American Alien being good would have earned him the benefit of a doubt with people. Ah well. I'm sure leading into 2018 we'll get some dynamite specials this just being one.

IT'S HERE! IT'S HERE!!!

happy_emoji.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    It better not feature Superman as Batman's "Agent."
    The BleedingCool article has a pretty good explanation for the title: the "Agent of Batman" is Dick Grayson and the book focuses on the nephew/uncle-like relationship between him and Clark and the reasons why Dick really, really needs it after years of partnership with Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I would have thought American Alien being good would have earned him the benefit of a doubt with people. Ah well. I'm sure leading into 2018 we'll get some dynamite specials this just being one.
    To be fair, this forum isn't really an accurate depiction of what most seem to feel about Landis continuing his DCU. I remember going to a bunch of sites and reading things like "I've never really liked comics all that much, but this book has gotten me into them," "long time Superman fan, stopped reading in the 80s, but this book has got be hooked again," and just straight up "this book made me a Superman fan." I'm paraphrasing, but, honestly, only a bit.

On here it just seems to be a hatred for the idea of having Batman "above" Superman in any way, or for some, just having him in the same book at all is a turn off. There's also the fears some have about the League members' possible depictions not being what they personally envision or have become accustomed to. I get all of that, I guess. I don't really have anyone of those hangups, so I can't really fault them for what they feel. I'm just looking for another great story from this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    The BleedingCool article has a pretty good explanation for the title: the "Agent of Batman" is Dick Grayson and the book focuses on the nephew/uncle-like relationship between him and Clark and the reasons why Dick really, really needs it after years of partnership with Bruce.
    Huh, well their ya go. No more complaining about the title I hope.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-11-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

"Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."

-Coffee That

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

A firm "no thanks", from me.

I'm sure he'll have a great artist to work with though.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg