Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

Loved American Alien, but I was wary of the Batman stuff just by the "Agent of the Bat" tag he was using. I'll keep an eye on the development and see, though.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Mighty Member

That bleeding cool page was full of red flags.
    OOOHHHHHH!! - Joe Rogan

I don't like American Alien or Landis' take on Superman at all. I'm even less excited to see a book where he's Batman's errand boy and gets shown up by other heroes. I don't need to see that in a depiction of Superman.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    That bleeding cool page was full of red flags.
    So was the announcement of the original mini series.

I don't get it. I mean, I just don't get it. Guy makes a video on YouTube with his Hollywood buddies trashing "Death of Superman," and DC goes out of their way to hire this guy?

I watched another video of Landis', which I think was about how he'd improve "Death," and then he went onto this long tangent about how Batman would train him. As my five-year-old niece says, "I can't even..." Stop thinking of Superman within the prism of Batman. If he's going to get tips from Bats, it better be about human psychology. That's about the only thing I'd read.

Anyway, maybe it'll be good, but I'm not interested.

Mighty Member

Will likely be a good book but not interested in Clark coming second to Bruce, we get plenty of that as it is.

There's a difference between trashing and joking about something, though. His video showed that he actually did follow the story and I at least thought it was pretty funny. As a pretty well known Hollywood guy,I think it's a nice gesture if he's willing to do Superman almost exclusively in name and that effort ends up producing neat stuff.

/U/ZacPensol on reddit described "American Alien" as "too much like a stereotypical CW take on Superman (more-so than 'Smallville'), which is to say that it felt like a spoiled rich kid who grew up in Hollywood wrote his interpretation of how a small-town Kansas farm boy would 'find himself'" which is more or less spot-on for how I feel about it.

Let's do pros and cons!

PROS:

• Superman and Robin together on a team? That's my two favorite super-heroes!

CONS:
    • "Superman: Agent of Batman" is a title I'd come up with to satirize DC's tendency to prioritize Bats over Supes. The unironic use of such a title is infuriating, and nothing about hearing it makes me think "Superman AND Bat-Agent Robin", it's just "Superman works for Batman because Batman is better". As titles go, it can go straight to hell.
    • Superman fighting and losing to everyone and their mother? Christ!
    • "Clark" as a the single signifying name applied to Superman drives me nuts, and Landis calls him that pretty much exclusively. It implies a reduction of both Clark Kent and Superman into a single less-than-competent entity who is neither a dynamic, two-fisted Man of Tomorrow nor a mild-mannered but justive-oriented journalist. It's just- you know. The worst of what "Smallville" had to offer taken to extremes and without any of the mitigating factors, and I think that's just how Landis thinks of Superman.

I think I'll pass.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    There's a difference between trashing and joking about something, though. His video showed that he actually did follow the story and I at least thought it was pretty funny. As a pretty well known Hollywood guy,I think it's a nice gesture if he's willing to do Superman almost exclusively in name and that effort ends up producing neat stuff.
    I agree, it was funny. I was being too harsh. What I should've said was that it was a strange audition (intentional or otherwise) for a Superman-writing gig. And to be fair, his follow-up video I mentioned earlier wasn't bad, but again it relied on Superman's relying on Batman to make the story progress. Sigh...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Will likely be a good book
    That's first and center for me.

I was wary of the first mini due to comments here...but after actually reading it? Totally loved it.

While I'm one of those who are tired of DC forcing Batman on Superman stories, mythos and origin, I really liked American Alien. And to be fair, the Batman participation on AA was small and we get to see Superman shoving him on the wall... The only thing I didn't liked that much is when Superman goes into space and pass out without air.

I don't want Batman anywhere near anything Superman so not thanks cancer.

If we are getting a Landisverse, I wanna know what happened to Barbara Minerva. I'm guessing she, Oliver and Victor all got shipwrecked together, I think Oliver might have alluded to that when he and Clark were in Metropolis. And somehow she gets cursed into becoming Cheeta. I assume, Zsasz goes crazy because that's what he does. There was really good set-up for an interesting dynamic between Cheeta and Superman in this universe.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 07-11-2017 at 09:02 PM.

I was a fan of American Alien so im on the hype train with Superlad. I'm not fond of Superman being made fool of by the others, i rather they be equals and have something each to contribute to the team. Granted if they are better in certain areas like he loses to WW in a hand to hand fight thats acceptable but he should be able to keep up with Flash's technobabble.

My only other concern is whether or not Landis can write a larger DCU. Just because he can handle Green Arrow and Robin doesnt mean he can handle Aquaman or Flash for example.