Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Design your own version of American Alien...

As you have no doubt heard, Max Landis is doing a sequel to American Alien. Regardless of what you think of the title or premise, what would you do if you were given a chance to do your own take on Superman the way Landis has? It has to be a mini. You have complete creative control and can do anything outside of canon. You don't have to go issue by issue but you do have to at least give an overall synopsis. What concepts would you introduce to the mythos that has never been done before?
    Listen, lady! I am thirteen years old and driving a Bat-hog through the Amazon on a Tuesday morning! I am ALREADY winning!

-Robin

super scientist, space god, social crusader, adventurer. No solar battery, no magic weakness, no red sun weakness, only kryptonite can kill him. (and someone powerful enough) flying all over the galaxy under his own power, vibrating to other dimensions under his own power, traveling back in time, battling paradoxes created by said travels. Let's say Superman will be at a cross road in which he can chose between shaping the world according to his will, allowing humanity to do things their way, do both, do neither and at some point he gets to interact with the consequences of those decisions and go back to the time before he took those decisions. He will go back in time to save Krypton. He will succeed and will also convince Jor-El of sending him to Earth anyway so he can become Superman. His powers would be the result of him being exposed to exotic energies generated by Jor-El's experimental rocket ship. No other Kryptonians have the same powers. Supergirl and Superboy are the result of medical experiments by human scientists. Zod would have Phantom zone related powers, Faora telepathy and mind control, Non mad scientist with deadly bio weapons and poisons. Luthor sr genius billionaire, philanthropist, industrialist and the head of a vast criminal empire. Hates Superman because he gets in the way of his goals of global domination. Luthor jr a young idealist scientist and a rebel ashamed and enraged by his father's dealings but also distrustful of the alien, as he refers to Superman.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

You mean do your own origin story? Going backwards, there are so many already.

Rebirth (2016-17)
    American Alien (2015)
    New 52 (2011)
    Earth One (2010)
    Secret Origin (2009)
    Secret Identity (2004)
    Birthright (2003)
    Return to Krypton (2001)
    For All Seasons (2000)
    The Man Of Steel (1986)

While extremely obnoxious, Wonder Woman had it worse last year. 4 origins released in 1 year. The Amazon, Legend of Wonder Woman, WW Earth One, and Rebirth.

As to the OP, I wouldn't do a mini. If anything, I'd do something similar to All Star Superman. A one to two page synopsis with pictures that covers the important details.

I'd wanna do an AU where Clark and Kara grew up with Superman Red/Blue powers instead of the usual kryptonian powerset.

I agree with Doctor Know in a lot of ways. There's too many origin stories for the character already.

That said, if I'm given the opportunity to do a miniseries summing up my view on the Man of Tomorrow, I'm not turning it down! So I'll just have to write an arc without doing the origin.
    If American Alien was seven issues, then I get seven issues to play around.

Like Landis, I'll jump around in Superman's timeline a bit.

Here's my basic outlines. Being at a loss for a title, I'll simply call it "Astounding Superman" until someone in marketing can come up with a better one, after the Marvel shtick of putting adjectives before character names.

Return of the Yellow Mask! Local "super-cop" Maggie F. Sawyer has been abducted by criminal mastermind the Yellow Mask. The Yellow Mask was hired to do so by Glen Glenmorgan, who noticed that Sawyer was an influential up-and-coming police officer willing to speak up against the cracks in his facade. The Yellow Mask, being a wily schemer, has opted to blackmail Glenmorgan with the possibility of releasing Sawyer rather than killing her as they agreed. Trying to follow up the kidnapping case are Sawyer's partner "Terrible" Turpin, Planet reporters Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane, and Jim's friend Clark Kent of the Star. Clark has a secret weapon though: he's in contact with a mysterious figure with access to seemingly ridiculous amounts of intelligence calling himself "Icarus". Icarus, of course, has infiltrated the ranks of the Mask's henchmen, and covertly relays intel to Kent at irregular intervals. Meanwhile, sightings of the mysterious Superman pop up around the investigation! Jimmy thinks Superman is a friend, Lois thinks he's hiding something, Turpin thinks he's dangerous, and Clark thinks he's "Icarus"! Icarus, of course, finds Kent's allegation preposterous.

I don't know how many issues I want this story to be, but the more I talk about it the more I like it. I'm pretty much willing to let this be the whole thing run of seven, actually. If I can shoehorn it in to one or two issues I will, but honestly this is just what happens when I'm allowed to make a Superman story that's just for me.

I will say this though: Sawyer gets to kick a metric ton of ass at the end, equal to or greater than Superman himself.

Oh well, moving on to other story pitches:

Superboy's Camping Trip! It's in the model of a lot of old stories about normal things playing out on a ludicrously large scale. Teenagers going camping together in the summer after they graduate high school? Normal, but instead of panicking over the fact that they've got more folks in the campsite than they're supposed to, it's the Legion, and they're panicking because they didn't know that the planet they were camping on is home to the ancient War God, Orion, who has just awakened from his centuries-long slumber! Brainiac Five is panicking and freaking out because his plans are going awry! Ultra-Boy is itching for a fight! Can cooler heads win out? (Spoiler: yes, but not before a lot of stupid teen drama. Orion's actually really chill, the kids mostly just argue with each other.)

Also, look, there's going to be shipping and there's going to be implied sex. Nothing explicit, but it's unsupervised camping teenagers. Sex is a thing. Luornu and Chuck share a tent. Garth and Imra share a tent. Jazmin and Rokk share a tent. Kal and Querl share a tent (I will not let this ship die, dammit!) Nobody wants their parents to find out. Except Imra. She's fine with it. Obviously.

Lois Lane vs. The Universe! Basically just a riff on Scott Pilgrim, this is the story of how Lois and Clark started dating, wherein she has to deal with Superman's Legion of Exes: Lana Lang, Brainiac Five, Lori Lemaris, Callie Llewellyn, Cat Grant, Maxima of Almerac, Luma Lynai and Princess Diana of Themyscira! Lois is one hundred percent the central figure. It's less about defeating the Exes and more about deciding, on her own terms and through her interaction with them, that she does in fact want to give romance with Clark a try. Also, whether he's wearing an action suit or glasses, Lois calls our hero "Smallville".

Superman Family Adventure! Jon Kent (as Superboy), Dick Grayson, Lana Lang, Kara Zor-El, and Kal-El all jump into the Bottle City of Kandor to fix the artificial red sun, but discover that Phantom King Xa-Du and Evil Ray Palmer Analogue Zak-Kul have escaped captivity and joined forces within the city! They plan to alter the nature of the red sun such that it will power a resizing machine sufficient to return the entire population of the city to normal size, and freeing and empowering Phantom Zone Criminals to spread a reign of terror on a world of powerless Kandorians!

I just wanted Dick Grayson and Van-Zee to meet, really. I don't know if it's ever happened before, but if not, it's happening now. Also, Jon accidentally names himself Jon-El and is stuck with it. I find this idea hilarious.

Superman's Godson! In which Superman's cousin Kara and his old friend (and ex-boyfriend) Querl Dox have a baby, Kal Dox. Once they grow to young teenagers, Jon Kent, father's clone Conner Kent and Kal Dox try to form a "Legion of Superboys" as Superboy-Red, Superboy-Blue and Superboy-Purple, respectively! A greater team of kid super-heroes hasn't been known for at least like, a decade or whatever! However, Querl and Kara Dox have a horrific suspicion that Kal might have the malign hypercognition disorder which marks members of the Dox family as- "BRAINIACS!"

Supermen! - Lex Luthor and Kal-El team up to defeat the returning Ultra-Humanite, who has inhabited the body of a larval Doomsday. Kal and Lex are both fairly old. They have been allies for years. They call each other "Mister L" and "Mister El" respectively. Lex dies at the end, saving Kal from Ultra's possession, becoming possessed himself and only throwing off Ultra's influence with the power of his ludicrous mind. Lena mourns her father at his funeral, and Jon and Damian comfort her. Is perhaps most basic idea of a comic.

Superman's Apotheosis - in a distant future, a lonely Santa Bearded Superman flashes back to the sword from The Day the Cheering Stopped! and finds its hilt, out among the lonely skies of the galaxy. Remembering the way it made his consciousness seem to spread out across the universe, when he finds it, he takes it in his hand. The sword-hilt spreads his consciousness across the universe once again. His ancient body dissipates into nothingness leaving only an invincible costume, as his mind gains total cosmic awareness. He experiences everything at once, including eventually the marriage of his descendant Superman-Purple to the Quinto Queen of the Fifth Dimension, Kal Kent's defeat of Solaris the Tyrant Sun, and eventually the end of the universe giving way to a new one, beginning with a new big bang, a new Imperiex thrown back into it by a new Kal-El, the same Kal-El, in the cyclical nature of time. Superman becomes a fundamental animating principle of the cosmos, just as he always was. He becomes Love.
    Last edited by Adekis; 07-12-2017 at 07:50 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    You mean do your own origin story? Going backwards, there are so many already.

Rebirth (2016-17)
    American Alien (2015)
    New 52 (2011)
    Earth One (2010)
    Secret Origin (2009)
    Secret Identity (2004)
    Birthright (2003)
    Return to Krypton (2001)
    For All Seasons (2000)
    The Man Of Steel (1986)

While extremely obnoxious, Wonder Woman had it worse last year. 4 origins released in 1 year. The Amazon, Legend of Wonder Woman, WW Earth One, and Rebirth.

As to the OP, I wouldn't do a mini. If anything, I'd do something similar to All Star Superman. A one to two page synopsis with pictures that covers the important details.
    The problem with the multiple origins is that depending on which one you pick certain ideas are either set in stone or are hard to re-introduce after the origin. So when I tell my stories going forward without "retelling the origin" I get fans who expect Lana from Smallville and others who expect Lana from Superwoman. And I get people who expect Lois knows the secret from Day One (Smallville, MOS movie) plus those who wonder why Lois is playing so big a role (Earth One). It is really best to sort of get everyone on the same page by telling an origin story to get all the pieces in place rather than have to keep explaining why things are different.