Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Darks Days: The Casting #1 Spoilers/Discussion

Thoughts on this issue? It's a lot to summarize, but I left enjoying it. I like the explinations for why Batman has been doing all of this preparing and Snyder and Tynion did a good job of explaining just how big of a threat this could be. Plus, the Easter eggs were still very fun to see.

Fantastic Member

I wonder How many people realize what the Bat creature is. Its shown up in previous runs of Batman And I wonder How long till someone posts a link for its Identity in the Thread.

You mean Barbatos?

It looks like Shazamium is actually going to be important, given the nature of Hath-Set's dagger. It had spirit related properties, so I'm not surprised it has some connections to the cycle of reincarnation.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desean101101 View Post
    I wonder How many people realize what the Bat creature is. Its shown up in previous runs of Batman And I wonder How long till someone posts a link for its Identity in the Thread.
    I'm not sure Morrison's "Barbatos" is truly involved if that is what you're suggesting, it was the Hyper-Adapter (a sort of extension of Darkseid), which is doubtfully directly connected to this story (unless some amazing shoehorning happens).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-12-2017 at 08:37 AM.
    Thank you America for voting for change.

Fantastic Member

For someone who's still a recent convert, the potential of all these old Batman storylines coming back on him is hilarious. Barbatos? Hyper-Adapter??

Ultimate Member

Feeling this is very much some weird hybrid of Return of Bruce Wayne, with all the hints about Batman being somekind of mythological being and the actual threat by making him somekind of bat-shaped lemming thundering towards the cliff due to his unbending will. And oddly enough Brütal Legend (or Jack Black's Metal song)considering how much the word 'metal' gets mentioned here, even in places where it makes no sense, it's almost camp-levels of straining with getting 'metal' squeezed into the lines.

Fantastic Member

Also I wonder if People have read some of H.P lovecraft short stories or any of the Recent Call of Cthullu or Delta green stuff because this whole book was reminding me of Old Gods manipulating peoples own goals to fit their needs.

It really feels like some Old Gods are seeing batmans need to understand where this shit came from for their own ends and just giving him enough pieces to help them accomplish what they want, which is What Old School Carter hall was warning against.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Have to yet to fully read and absorb the dense issue myself, but this is a very good review that tries to unpack the reveals in relation to Snyder's Batman run:
    https://comicsverse.com/dark-days-ca...nights-shadow/
    Thank you America for voting for change.

Astonishing Member

I liked the bit where "meta" is "metal".
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

I wasn't sure about this event but now I am, its not my cup of tea. I dont understand where all this random BS kept coming from and people say Morrison is hard to follow. I dont understand the obsession with these metals and the mystery so this is where the story loses me completely, so there's a dark multiverse out there? who cares. The emotional core of this arc doesn't exist, Batman's obsession makes zero sense to me either emotionally or logically. So these metals do amazing things that gold and silver cant? sure and Batman can do things no other peak humans can. Maybe we should start a mystery as to how a man can master all styles of combat while simultaneously being an engineer, scientist, detective, peak physical specimen etc which ends in a war between Apokolips and New Genesis with Monitors thrown in for good measure. This is how absurd the whole thing comes across, and then Joker knows things because why not and there are secret societies like in pretty much everything Snyder and Tynion write. Random objects of great power are introduced willy nilly and then forgotten about in the next 5 minutes. Where exactly did Bruce get Diana's bracelets and Arthur's trident? are there copies of these? suddenly Duke Thomas can see across universes...ok and the tuning fork remains forgotten, Hal is working for Guardians (who're dead). More importantly we finally find out why the Court of Owls exist 5 years after their story was told and in a different book altogether while the issue where Bruce regains his memories suddenly makes sense now which is a slap in the face of all those reviewers and fans who gave it high praise because it is the detractors who stand vindicated as that issue never made a lick of sense back when it was published.

Snyder and Tynion fired every thing they could but at the end of the day this story simply boils down to, evil Batmen vs JL and that's all there is to it. So all the cameos, concepts,skull duggery,every piece of the DCU introduced in these 2 one shots comes down to one simple idea. Its almost as if all this ridiculous extra fuss from Talia/Silencer, society of immortals, Duke's new powers etc simply exist to launch this new line of Dark Matter books and nothing more.

Spectacular Member

I enjoyed this, like others have said though it is dense and am gonna give it another read in like an hour, also with that dagger in this issue, am sure now the boy seen in the metal preview is Billy, he may play a big part.
    Lastly (am probably wrong but) the design and colour of that blade made me think we could see black adam (fingers crossed )

Spectacular Member

Bruce doesn't really have Diana's bracelets and Arthur's trident, they were holograms or emulations of them. Tuning fork was used to track the metal's energy traces in the world, and it is probably made of the same metal itself.

Apparently the event has made DC unvierse more bat-centered. Hawk people have connections to Robins, and artifacts made of Bat-metal are used by many heroes, villains and gods. Those evil Batman are probably more of alternative versions of other heroes/villains corrupted by the evil bat-energy, than simply alternative versions of Batman.
    Last edited by qwerty3w; 07-13-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Some interesting stuff here.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desean101101 View Post
    Also I wonder if People have read some of H.P lovecraft short stories or any of the Recent Call of Cthullu or Delta green stuff because this whole book was reminding me of Old Gods manipulating peoples own goals to fit their needs.

It really feels like some Old Gods are seeing batmans need to understand where this shit came from for their own ends and just giving him enough pieces to help them accomplish what they want, which is What Old School Carter hall was warning against.
    I picked up some strong Lovecraftian currents here too, I love that. I hope Synder goes into full Lovecraft weirdness with this.

Not sure Batman is the guy for that though. Aquaman seems like the primary dude to oppose giant netherworld portals at the bottom of the sea. Superman too.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

Mighty Member

*shrug* This book has been doing nothing to me.

It's a mystery!

MYSTERIOUS FOREBODING MYSTERIOUS FOREBODING

The Metal!

MYSTERIOUS FOREBODING MYSTERIOUS FOREBODING

Bat Beings!

I really can't even tell what they're trying to go for here. It's just bizarre.