Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 70
  1. #16
    Wonder Moderator Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,563

    Default

    This just didn't work for me.

    1. I found the art too cartoonish for this book. It's great art, mind you, but the style isn't my cup of tea.

    2. Etta's massive personality change was just wrong. That's not building on what came before, which is what the author claimed she was doing. To go from grim and efficient military officer who was unhappy with Diana over what happened with Barbara to light, fluffy, huggy Etta with zero attempt at transition was just jarring and took me right out of the story.

    3. The tone was all over the place. First it a discussion of PTSD then immediately talking about moving a base because of an ant infestation with the bumbling general (who looks odd to me, like a woman with a mustache glued on her face) and 'consarn it!' then Diana's grabbing some poor kid by the shirt because she somehow forgot (?) that they were operating out of one of the stupidest 'fronts' I've ever seen, all in the span of three pages. And 'Covert Apps?' I get that this is supposed to be a more lighthearted take, but again, this just tips it from 'lighthearted' into 'silly.'

    4. The whole bit with the Amazons was another thing that just struck me as off. She's a child. She's the *only* child on the island. She has no other children to play with and has a doll, but the Amazons show no empathy towards her and mom thinks 'warriors don't have dolls.' For an immortal race of enlightened women, this was just bizarre to me.

    5. I'm a bit put off by the implications that Diana is suffering from PTSD but keeping it to herself. I'm going to wait and see how this plays out, but it just reminded me of the Finch run with Diana being an emotional mess who had to unburden herself to her JL teammates about how she can't handle things.

    6. The only 'action' we get is Diana punching a normal guy, and her new volunteer job of going around with a military unit fighting normal people is just dull to me. She's got super strength and super speed. Imagine if Superman were accompanying a military unit - they would all be just standing still while he took care of everything in an eyeblink. I fully understand the concept of Diana wanting to defend people around the globe, but it just struck me as a real waste of her powers to take this approach.

    I haven't missed an issue in over 40 years, so I won't stop getting the book, but I'm not hopeful for this run.

  2. #17
    Spectacular Member Natamaxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    This just didn't work for me.

    1. I found the art too cartoonish for this book. It's great art, mind you, but the style isn't my cup of tea.

    2. Etta's massive personality change was just wrong. That's not building on what came before, which is what the author claimed she was doing. To go from grim and efficient military officer who was unhappy with Diana over what happened with Barbara to light, fluffy, huggy Etta with zero attempt at transition was just jarring and took me right out of the story.

    3. The tone was all over the place. First it a discussion of PTSD then immediately talking about moving a base because of an ant infestation with the bumbling general (who looks odd to me, like a woman with a mustache glued on her face) and 'consarn it!' then Diana's grabbing some poor kid by the shirt because she somehow forgot (?) that they were operating out of one of the stupidest 'fronts' I've ever seen, all in the span of three pages. And 'Covert Apps?' I get that this is supposed to be a more lighthearted take, but again, this just tips it from 'lighthearted' into 'silly.'

    4. The whole bit with the Amazons was another thing that just struck me as off. She's a child. She's the *only* child on the island. She has no other children to play with and has a doll, but the Amazons show no empathy towards her and mom thinks 'warriors don't have dolls.' For an immortal race of enlightened women, this was just bizarre to me.

    5. I'm a bit put off by the implications that Diana is suffering from PTSD but keeping it to herself. I'm going to wait and see how this plays out, but it just reminded me of the Finch run with Diana being an emotional mess who had to unburden herself to her JL teammates about how she can't handle things.

    6. The only 'action' we get is Diana punching a normal guy, and her new volunteer job of going around with a military unit fighting normal people is just dull to me. She's got super strength and super speed. Imagine if Superman were accompanying a military unit - they would all be just standing still while he took care of everything in an eyeblink. I fully understand the concept of Diana wanting to defend people around the globe, but it just struck me as a real waste of her powers to take this approach.

    I haven't missed an issue in over 40 years, so I won't stop getting the book, but I'm not hopeful for this run.
    Pretty much all of this.

    I'm hoping for something better as this particular story moves along.

  3. #18
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The north.
    Posts
    1,324

    Default

    Anyone else who felt the script somewhat felt more "cartoony" than the art?

    Guy about to rip a woman's clothing off, and in comes Diana. Knocking two of his teeth out. Knowing a thing or two about refugee camps, I don't really think that's to any help. My first reaction was that it's likely to worsen. While I've yet to read more than this initial issue, I think it feels a bit cheap that she just disappears from the comic after being in a situation where she likely feared that she'd get raped. Would be cool if Diana checked in on her later on or something (if she didn't get blown up that is.)

  4. #19
    Wonder Moderator Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Anyone else who felt the script somewhat felt more "cartoony" than the art?

    Guy about to rip a woman's clothing off, and in comes Diana. Knocking two of his teeth out. Knowing a thing or two about refugee camps, I don't really think that's to any help. My first reaction was that it's likely to worsen. While I've yet to read more than this initial issue, I think it feels a bit cheap that she just disappears from the comic after being in a situation where she likely feared that she'd get raped. Would be cool if Diana checked in on her later on or something (if she didn't get blown up that is.)
    It particularly bothered me because it looks like the entire camp is on fire in the background. A hero with her skills and powers should be putting out the fire, not punching thugs, especially when there's a unit with her who can take care of the more one-on-one human issues.

    I'm not saying that the woman shouldn't have been rescued - I'm just wondering why Diana is going tent-to-tent evacuating people instead of using super speed/strength to put the fire out i.e. where were the superheroics in a place that clearly needed them?

  5. #20
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The north.
    Posts
    1,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    It particularly bothered me because it looks like the entire camp is on fire in the background. A hero with her skills and powers should be putting out the fire, not punching thugs, especially when there's a unit with her who can take care of the more one-on-one human issues.

    I'm not saying that the woman shouldn't have been rescued - I'm just wondering why Diana is going tent-to-tent evacuating people instead of using super speed/strength to put the fire out i.e. where were the superheroics in a place that clearly needed them?
    I'm having similar feelings. I'm all for a good shock, almost no matter how bad it is, but I prefer it if there's a sense of weight to the punch. If a city is destroyed, then that should have consequences. Or else it's just a theatre backdrop, that's on fire. For example, the comic book Judge Dredd is marvelous at this. If an atom bomb goes off in a city, you get to see what happens to people. If Dredd lets mutants seek asylum in the city and there's resistance, you see what happens to people. It's not "good", but it is what it is. What it should be.

    And as said, I think things that involves rape and such needs a bit more than just something akin to a tied up woman saved from being hit by a train. There are alot of things that factors in that makes a bit harder than just saving someone. If used this way, then perhaps they start tying up women and laying them waiting to get run over on a railroad again.

    Similarly if a refugee camp is to burn, perhaps it's better sticking to sticks of dynamite with a timer.
    Last edited by borntohula; 07-13-2017 at 12:38 PM.

  6. #21
    Incredible Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I can see it, Magic brings the doll to life and is use as a weapon against Diana or the doll itself becomes possessive and wants to Diana keep playing with her instead of fighting wars and villains or fighting against super villains is considered playing so becomes a villain so she can play with Diana.
    I'm old enough to think this might have been the plot to an old Fantasy Island episode.

  7. #22
    Incredible Member WontonGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    910

    Default

    I thought it was fine. I mean it's just the first issue after Rucka, I'm going to give it time. I thought the bonding with the little girl was great.

    Always glad to see more Diana. She looked good in her pantsuit! The colors were vibrant, the art was fine. I mean, it was fine.

  8. #23
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    24,387

    Default

    I'm kind of of two-minds on Etta.

    On the one hand, this feels more like Etta then she ever really did under Rucka and I wasn't too invested in her drama with Barbara, but it was a pretty jarring transition from the last issue with seemingly no explanation for it other then Etta acting more like classic Etta. Still prefer it to Rucka's take though.

    Ah well, I thought this was a fun issue even if it shaping up that this run will be pretty inconsequential in the long-run, but it was still okay. I also liked the art, but I'm guessing that's a minority opinion .

    Diana's suit at the wedding was also quite nice .

  9. #24
    Fantastic Member MarquisAsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    445

    Default

    It's too soon for me to give an opinion. I think it was weird that Hippolyta used her words from the movie.

  10. #25
    Pretty Bird Bukdiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    The issue started out cute as hell...then I saw the bomb at the end.
    Life is too short to waste on bad movies/TV/books/music.

    "A lot of people have asked me why I don't use my canary cry when I'm fighting. It's my training. Everything I've learned, everything I've worked for as a martial artist...is about what you can do with your bare hands and your heart. It's like bringing a bazooka to a boxing match." - Black Canary

  11. #26
    Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm kind of of two-minds on Etta.

    On the one hand, this feels more like Etta then she ever really did under Rucka and I wasn't too invested in her drama with Barbara, but it was a pretty jarring transition from the last issue with seemingly no explanation for it other then Etta acting more like classic Etta. Still prefer it to Rucka's take though.

    Ah well, I thought this was a fun issue even if it shaping up that this run will be pretty inconsequential in the long-run, but it was still okay. I also liked the art, but I'm guessing that's a minority opinion .

    Diana's suit at the wedding was also quite nice .
    Yeah, the transition is really the only issue. In a vacuum this Etta is way better, as Rucka screwed her up bad. But still, unexplained character changes are never key. If you're left with a bad egg, try and fix it naturally.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

  12. #27
    Astonishing Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Well, this was certainly a downgrade in both writing and art from the past year. I didn't like Diana being so aggressive with that blonde male fan. The art was choppy plus Diana's eagle symbol changed direction in the story and her arm-band kept switching which arm it was on. This definitely feels like a "filler" story so far but I'll give it at least another issue to see where it goes.
    Currently Reading: Aquaman, Batgirl & The Birds of Prey, Green Arrow. Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps, Justice League of America, The Terrifics, Titans, Wonder Woman, & Wonder Woman '77.

  13. #28
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    Greg Rucka's run started in far-off, exotic, magical places - Themyscira and Urzkartaga's land in Africa [?].

    I think Wonder Woman needs to get back on the road, being an adventuress, leaping into crazy, otherworldly places, where her Amazon warrior background takes on new and exciting context We should constantly be amazed at the places she goes and how poetically well-suited she is to her battles, and that's tricky. Marston's Wonder Woman, like Flash Gordon, often looked out of place in her stories, while simultaneously leaving us with the feeling that she's exactly where needs to be - invading Nazi fortresses, toppling evil, lost empires and wresting tyranny from wild-eyed, extra-dimensional despots, ..Etta and her kanga-mounted Amazon sisters, battling at her sides...

    That's the Wonder Woman comic I miss.

    And ..hoodie bro? I'm stuck on hoodie bro, right now...like where is that a...who talks like that? Seriously? Everything else with Etta was tonally right - Etta is here for comic relief and to be Diana's sergeant-at-arms, the tonal heavy of the supporting cast. Keep in mind that, when Wonder Woman got into a jam in some weird other-dimensional adventure, she call Fontana's giving us the best Etta, we've seen in years. Bravo!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-13-2017 at 06:12 PM.
    FINALLY! The greatest comic book movie, ever made... The ORIGIN of the GOLDEN AGE WONDER BOY!

  14. #29
    Lv 67 Pinsir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Route 12
    Posts
    3,102

    Default



    Did anyone else find this scene to be super suggestive? This is the second time this artist has done this too! There was the time the artist drew Wonder Woman 'selling herself' off...
    Also visit my blog where I expose Wonder Woman for the criminal she is!

    How come these anonymous sources failed to report Zack Snyder had left post-production on Justice League? They seem to know everything now...

  15. #30
    Mighty Member Qwerty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I'm old enough to think this might have been the plot to an old Fantasy Island episode.
    It's kinda similar to Clara the imaginary friend on tng

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •