Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Thing is, Quinn and Ivy slipping all over each other in a shower or sharing a bed as two grown women is not really suggestive in 2017...
    In 2017, in the 25th century, or a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, it's still suggestive.

This medical thing, yes that was suggestive. "Close your eyes honey and open wide."
    Ummmmm... no.

Also I have to say I don't really see what all of that is for. Diana is not human, so putting her through a normal human physical examination is about as telling as doing it to an rhino. Can she be bothered by the things she's seen in the field? Certainly. But I am rather against this notion of everyone around her handling her like she's made of glass and about to crack, even more so that she actually seems like she is about to crack... thats just not what I expect to see Diana do.
    Be human?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    I really fail to see anything even remotely suggestive on the page Diana is getting an examine.
    Me either, I don't see the problem.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    In 2017, in the 25th century, or a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, it's still suggestive.
    Then to prove you that its not:

Hands up for all the brave men and women reading this have, or know others, who have soaped up someone of the same sex and age as themselves?

Ummmmm... no.
    Ehhh yes... especially since this doctor is not a dentist, so whats she actually looking for in there? Gold?

Be human?
    She isn't.
    Plus she's a superhero alot of people look up to, the last thing people care to see is them having somekind of nervous breakdown because of the job they maintain... again.

Then to prove you that its not:

Hands up for all the brave men and women reading this have, or know others, who have soaped up someone of the same sex and age as themselves?

Ehhh yes... especially since this doctor is not a dentist, so whats she actually looking for in there? Gold?

She isn't.
    Plus she's a superhero alot of people look up to, the last thing people care to see is them having somekind of nervous breakdown because of the job they maintain... again.
    I don't really think that's right. Her being a hero doesn't mean stress of the job can't get to her. What does need to be shown is other people willing to help her get through it and show that it doesn't make her lesser for it. Mental illness gets enough of a bad rap in superhero comics.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't really think that's right. Her being a hero doesn't mean stress of the job can't get to her. What does need to be shown is other people willing to help her get through it and show that it doesn't make her lesser for it. Mental illness gets enough of a bad rap in superhero comics.
    My point is rather that we dont want to see it, same way we dont want to know the amount of pills Batman has to be taking to keep his carcass up and running by now.

Thing is, Quinn and Ivy slipping all over each other in a shower or sharing a bed as two grown women is not really suggestive in 2017, or it's so suggestive that you'd have to make a sign to make it even more so.

This medical thing, yes that was suggestive. "Close your eyes honey and open wide."

Also I have to say I don't really see what all of that is for. Diana is not human, so putting her through a normal human physical examination is about as telling as doing it to an rhino. Can she be bothered by the things she's seen in the field? Certainly. But I am rather against this notion of everyone around her handling her like she's made of glass and about to crack, even more so that she actually seems like she is about to crack... thats just not what I expect to see Diana do.
    Was there some dialogue I missed in that medical exam?

Did anyone ask anyone to 'close their eyes and open wide?'

I see a doctor who is doing a routine physical on a fully dressed woman.

She checks her blood pressure, looks in her throat, takes her heart rate and checks her ears.

Is an otoscope in the ear somehow a twisted metaphor for sex?

There's no disrobing, no provocative shots (the artist even makes a point of covering up the cleavage during the heart check), no eyes meeting, no provocative questions.

It's a doctor talking to a patient about how she thinks Diana is overdoing it in the field.

I agree that the idea of a doctor putting a superhero like Wonder Woman through a routine physical is bizarre, but the General requested it and Diana is complying with his request just like everyone else who does this kind of work is supposed to. I found the whole scene to feel forced in order to get Diana to meet the doctor and glimpse what she dropped as this is a pointless exercise, but that's about it.

Is it that it's two women that you find it suggestive?

If you put two men in that same scenario, is it still suggestive?

Having spent far too much time in hospitals in my life, all I see is what I've had done a hundred times, both with male and female doctors, and I'm seriously not getting anything remotely sexual about this in any way.

As to what she's looking for in there? Have you never had a doctor look down your throat?

Diana (along with the men and women she's working with) have been travelling to foreign countries with deplorable conditions (a refugee camp is not the most hygienic place in the world)

The doctor is looking any redness, swelling or other signs of infection, such as thrush, which is easily picked up in third world countries. It's routine in any physical I've ever had (plus they usually check the nasal cavities and sinuses)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post

She checks her blood pressure, looks in her throat, takes her heart rate and checks her ears.

There's no disrobing, no provocative shots (the artist even makes a point of covering up the cleavage during the heart check), no eyes meeting, no provocative questions.

It's a doctor talking to a patient about how she thinks Diana is overdoing it in the field.
    Some see it, some do not. Thats the nature of something that's suggestive, sometimes it's just more blunt about it.

I agree that the idea of a doctor putting a superhero like Wonder Woman through a routine physical is bizarre, but the General requested it and Diana is complying with his request just like everyone else who does this kind of work is supposed to. I found the whole scene to feel forced in order to get Diana to meet the doctor and glimpse what she dropped as this is a pointless exercise, but that's about it.

No it's the fact you have an panel dedicated to this one scene of an open mouth, nothing but it and the instruments intruding upon it.

Yes. You they have to stick a thumb in there for you to see it as well?

Having spent far too much time in hospitals in my life, all I see is what I've had done a hundred times, both with male and female doctors, and I'm seriously not getting anything remotely sexual about this in any way.
    And that's just you. Me on the other hand I haven't spent anymore than 2 maybe three hours in one since I was born.

As to what she's looking for in there? Have you never had a doctor look down your throat?
    No, because I only go to the doctor when I think something is wrong, and in this day and age they only check up what you ask them to check up on, time pressure.

Diana (along with the men and women she's working with) have been travelling to foreign countries with deplorable conditions (a refugee camp is not the most hygienic place in the world)

The doctor is looking any redness, swelling or other signs of infection, such as thrush, which is easily picked up in third world countries. It's routine in any physical I've ever had (plus they usually check the nasal cavities and sinuses)
    Meaning what to someone who can wander into a nuclear reactor and be perfectly fine even if she doesn't wear any kind of protective gear?

Not to mention while a refugee camp may not be the cleanest place in the world... but it happens to be a place where they are acutely aware of the risk of sickness breaking out and actively doing a lot to prevent it. And Diana is a young healthy person who doesn't stoop to drink water out of rain puddles or walk barefooted through mud someone might have used as a toilet.

Seriously, if this kind of thing is what worries the heads of the Pentagon, Rucka must have left out how Diana got the galloping runs after her first meal made in Man's World.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post

Gael, Gael, Gael, you just don't get it. Let me explain

It's a FEMALE doctor in uniform examining a FEMALE hero. I mean, come on. A woman doctor, that's clearly some erotic subtext right off the bat. And she has instruments. She is probing the other woman's ear. PROBING. Pretty raunchy stuff.

Now if it were two completely nude super model bad girls naked and sudsy in the shower, sticking out their lathered c-cup chests and looking at each other with big does eyes as their hands slide slowly over each other's gentle curves and smooth, smooth skinn, that's different. That in no ways panders to the male demographic. Everyone know two sexy girls lathering up in the shower happens every day. I'm pretty sure I remember that from episodes of "Bewitched" and "Eight is Enough". It's like eating breakfast, another standard family show trope. It's a fairly mundane task which commands no attention in itself but allows the plot to be expanded.

On the other hand, we all remember that now infamous issue of batgirl that got pulled because fans were outraged that they gave Barabara Gordon a female physio-therapist who was maipulating her feet, which were completely bare. When that preview came out people rightly called out DC for such an obviously play to male fantasy.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a sexual harassment case pending from when that guy gave me my flu shot in the arm. I still feel violated just thinking about it.

Last edited by brettc1; 07-17-2017 at 05:53 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Picked this issue up because a short run is always a tough deal.

While I don't think it's terrible, it didn't really have me saying "When can I buy the issue?"